Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: i hate lazy ass archers  (Read 3069 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
i hate lazy ass archers
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:34:07 pm »

No matter what i do my archers won't train. I've already rebuilt archery ranges. set bolts for training, made new uniforms, made tons of bolts and they cannot follow orders.
I might have to sacrifice them to Armok if they keep rebelling

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: i hate lazy ass archers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »

Th squads are active, the target is a barracks room assigned to the squads...

Right? Not that I know what has to be done...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

alanbtg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:02:42 pm »

Check if you did all this:
-They have quivers
-The archery target is set as a room for that squad to train and you set the direction from where they can shoot (wasd).
-They need at least 5 empty tiles in front of it to use it.
-Their schedule is set to train and the squad's alert is on Active/Training.

Also if you cant solve this you can always activate de Hunting labor to train them and get food.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:03:12 pm »

No matter what i do my archers won't train. I've already rebuilt archery ranges. set bolts for training, made new uniforms, made tons of bolts and they cannot follow orders.
I might have to sacrifice them to Armok if they keep rebelling

Do they have quivers? Without quivers they won't train.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 02:35:46 pm »

We need a macro to display this information, since everyone keeps asking about it.  For real, use the search bar at the top and lurk moar.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:43:01 pm »

Did you assign ammo to them?
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:56:08 pm »

I dunno why people keep posting wrong info on this subject. Your archers need to have no scheduled order to start using the archery ranges. That means they should be in civilian mode with their alert set to inactive. Turn off all their labors and once they are bored they will go do archery practice (don't forget to turn on training on the targets, have each target designated as a room and the direction set up).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:00:45 pm »

1) Ensure ammo
2) Ensure quiver
3) Ensure crossbow
4) Ensure uniform or manual equipment setup
5) Ensure one archery target per soldier, two dwarves will not fire at one target
6) Ensure these targets are assigned to the squad for training, everyone one of them should create a separate barracks, even if they're overlapping
7) Ensure inactive orders, military dwarves with "No Job" will default to combat training
8) ???
9) Motherfugging profit and stop asking the same questions!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:15:29 pm »

Aren't inactive dwarves civilians, doing civilian stuff? They should be activated so they turn into... those filled-in viewmodels, then told to do nothing special so they train, right?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:26:00 pm »

Halfway.  Inactive military dwarves count as civilians, and will do civilain jobs (assuming they aren't Hero status) but unlike regular civies, a military dwarf will train if they have No Job.  So, turn off all duties, and your dwarves will train while inactive, albeit at a worse rate.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:37:46 pm »

Always make sure to set the firing direction.  If the archer cannot get at least 5 spaces away in the direction it is set, he won't fire at it.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 01:18:18 am »

Another biggy, under supplies, if they are enabled to carry food, and drink, better make sure you have flasks, and backpacks in stock. Dwarves are dumb. If they cannot find something that is in their assigned uniform, weapon, or supply equipment, they get pissy
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:23:26 pm »

I seem to post this in every archer greif thread. there is no need to do the clumsy workaround of inactive and no labours. to get them to follow training orders properly give them a barracks (defined from a bed, weapon rack or armor stand) to train in as well as some targets. they will practice crossbow use, dodging, etc. in the barracks, skill up, and occasionally go take shots at the targets. problem solved - archers that train. remember to leave any metal ammo with NO C or T tag in the ammo panel, as either will cause them to be used. leave C or T by cheap bone or wood bolts, and switch when the baddies show up.

Always make sure to set the firing direction.  If the archer cannot get at least 5 spaces away in the direction it is set, he won't fire at it.

really? mine are often only 3 tiles away and are heavily used.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:25:25 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 04:45:51 pm »

I just quit using archers in .31 because they never work for me no matter how many sets of instructions I read. Luckily, archers aren't really that great anymore, anyway. You can do without them just fine.