Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 490478 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: It wasn't Wigs.
« Reply #8910 on: August 16, 2014, 07:18:55 pm »

James, Tyrin, and Anna

The joining of Anna and Tyrin let themselves feel a moment of sorrow for the loss of the Marshal, but it was quickly replaced with a steely determination.

"The technocracy is putting everyone at risk already! The people deserve the right to choose for themselves, without you overshadowing them!

Everyone, we've got him on the ropes! James! Get the gun off the Marshal! It's still charged! Shoot him with it! He's also weak to mind attacks!"
The two voices of the link called out at the exact same time, Anna's leadership coming to the fore in the absence of the Marshal.

Move to a different position to try and mess up the presbyter's fix on our position. Then start with an Energy Drain on the Presbyter himself at -2 and use the energy in a Surge (no mod), supplying extra energy if needed to make it reach at least 45 energy and if exceeding this amount already, then adding an extra 30 energy on top from our own supplies. Try to have the surge focused in a way to make a small hole in his mindbar, so I can slip a Mindbend through when he's distracted, which makes him detect everyone's positions a bit more fuzzy/off position than they really are, so to throw off his aim.
James grimaced as the Marshall fell, but he didn't have time to worry now. No, now it was time to strike and, hopefully, bring the presbyter down once and for all.

"I've got an attack of my own, thanks!" James shouted as he dashed at the Presbyter. Raising his arm, he let the psychic potential flow through him, and...

Throw all 8 shrikes, at -5 difficulty, at the presbyter.
James grimaced as the Marshall fell, but he didn't have time to worry now. No, now it was time to strike and, hopefully, bring the presbyter down once and for all.

"I've got an attack of my own, thanks!" James shouted as he dashed at the Presbyter. Raising his arm, he let the psychic potential flow through him, and...

Throw all 8 shrikes, at -5 difficulty, at the presbyter.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

Wigs roars in reaction to the Marshal's death, nearly draining his reserves into another colossal blade. [Blade 2-5+1. Penalties negated. -20 damage.] [Control 10+1] [Effect: 18, Both parties targeted] (Stamina -40)  Energy surges wildly, rage proving a poor containment for the pillar of psionic energy he drives into the Presbyter's shield. The attack strikes the presbyter solidly, but filaments of unconstrained psionic energy snap backwards and slice deeply into Amos' own armor and flesh. (Presbyter shield -60. 5 Absorbed) (Wigs Armor -14, Wigs Health -48. 3 damage negated) The presbyter's shield flares even as Wigs staggers back, gasping and trying to keep his feet as razor thin lacerations open up across his arms and face.
    James charges forwards a second later, leaving his friend in exchange for one powerful gamble at piercing the Technocrat's defenses. [Shrike 6+1-5, 21+1-5, 22+2-5, 5+1-5, 7+2-5, 14+1-5, 15+1-5, 8+2-5] He raises both arms forward as he runs, a shotgun storm of jagged kinetic shards forming and exploding forwards in a split second. [Finesse 11+1 Vs Soak 21, not Confirmed] Two of the shards strike the presbyter, exploding against his shield in a shower of light. (Presbyter Shield -70, -50. HP -20. 10  absorbed. Kinetic Shell Destroyed.) Time stops as a thin trail of fresh blood leaks down the Technocrat's already damaged face, the mark of a graze by one of James' shrikes. The mark that the Presbyter's shield has been broken.
    "You don't understand what we've done for you!" There's a ragged edge to the Presbyter's telepathic voice now, the raggedness of desperation mixing with exhaustion and despair. The Technocrat lashes out as he speaks, one arm flashing out to hurl a bolt of kinetic energy at James. [Blade 20+5-4] (-30 Stamina)  [James I.S 42, triggered] [James Will 3, 15 point shield generated] The conical blade, all but identical to the one that felled the Presbyter, strikes the rebel psionic square in the chest.  (James K.Shield -3. A.Shield -9. Armor -3. Health -(111+20 bonus=131) 2 Absorbed/Negated) Caught in the open, without even the kind of cover the Marshal had, the blast hits James' unimpeded. The pointed lance bores through his shields and flesh, the shear kinetic power hurling him back into the metal wall of the colonist home as it penetrates his body. "We have done what we have had to do," the Presbyter's psychic voice shouts as James falls. "Nothing more than that! These are not the days for freedom, these are not the days for choice, these are the days when everything MUST be sacrificed for the greater good! Even if I die, you must understand this! There is nothing to be gained by your victory but a crown of bones and empire of ashes!" [Mindwall 3+6 Vs Sum Anna Surge 17, failed] (-20 Stamina) The psionic platform the presbyter floats on wobbles dangerously, forcing the man to drop out of the air, falling to kneel on his one good leg.
    For James, the words of the Presbyter resound in a faraway place in his mind. For James, the hole through his chest is an odd echo of his first moments inside the control dream, of the time when a rifle shot obliterated his heart and spine. Yet the feeling of his body dying, the feeling of the cold metal of the structure sucking the heat from his flesh, is different than it was before. This lacks the clarity of the dream, as the once sharp feelings and sensations dull to grey as his nerves cry out their swan song. This time is different, because this is not a dream.
    Anna, working in concert with Tyrin's mind, attempts to drain energy away from the Presbyter once more. His shield broken, the attack steals the energy from the man himself. [Energy Drain 22-2] [Presbyter Reflex 8] Once again, the Presbyter is slow in gathering the will to shut Anna down, and he pays for it dearly. (Presbyter Stamina -55, Anna Temp Stamina +55)  Anna twists the stolen energy against the Presbyter immediately, using it in a needlepointed surge to shatter his remaining defenses. [Anna Surge 19+6-4-1 (Complex)] [Control 15 -10%] (-55 T.Stamina, -27 Stamina) The surge saturates and obliterates the Technocrat's mindbar, keeping the crippled officer on his knees. (Presbyter Stamina -34, Health -34).  [Mind Bend 1-1 Bonus negated] [Control 10, no effect] (-15 stamina) Anna attempts to exploit the opening she made, trying to skew the Technocrat's perception of reality. The moment she touches his mind directly, however, things begin to shift within her own memories. The thoughts she stole from the Presbyter disappear as her mind meets his and reflexively attempts to reestablish its own identity. The effect is harmless, but it leaves Anna with only a faint afterimage of the memories she once held.
   Hickie continues ministering to his own wounds [Medicine 10+1, 14+1,10+1, 5+1. Luck 4. 47/20] (Hickie Health +20), and succeeds in sealing the worst of the damage to his side. With painkillers numbing the wound, Hickie crawls to the edge of the roof and tries to sight in on the presbyter with the oversized Anti-armor rifle the Marshal left him.

Total Damage Dealt to Presbyter's Shield: 950 (Broken)
Total Stamina Lost by Presbyter: 335
Total Health Lost by Presbyter: 74

(James Evan has been killed)
(Presbyter's Mindbar has been broken)

Spoiler: Anna Withheld (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

Well that's a good enough reason to risk hacking a functioning dock, harry may well need his power inside

You move on from the damaged dock, pulling carefully away and trying to lock into one of the still sealed airlocks. Getting this dock to lock with you is easy, the hard part will be getting it to open the door. You jack into the shuttle system swiftly, interfacing with the docking mechanism and beginning the careful, and dangerous, process of peeling it apart. You aren't deep into the hack, just enough to make you faster at it than any human and to offset your deficits as a fabricator, but not enough to make you vulnerable to bio-feedback. The light connection, however, does not protect you from whatever security measures you might trip.
Spoiler: Hack log (click to show/hide)
   After a few very, very tense minutes with the security system, you succeed in getting the airlock to interface fully with the shuttle. You know that the communications array should be in this general area, perhaps one floor above you. The exact path, however, escapes you.
   You think it might be a good idea to take a minute and make sure you have all the supplies you think you and Harry will need before crossing over into unknown territory.

Spoiler: Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dom thought about it. "...Do it to open the door, and we'll use the cells to close it if the option is available. We'll provide cover fire. If we can't close the door, we'll keep moving to Fennec's position and try to take out the hostiles as we fall back. Bast case scenario, we'll have the wall and the door to hold them off while we run."

Taiya nods and closes her eyes. [Empower 16+2] The shriek of metal on metal fills the air immediately, the door scissoring open a few centimeters open at a time.  For a moment, the door sticks at a six inch gap, then something gives inside and it squeals open another two feet. Not a comfortable fit for an armored individual, but workable. [Taiya control 3+1, +25% cost]  (Taiya -50 stamina)
   You keep a careful eye on the rear as your group filters through the jammed door.  The way the Freaks aren't even trying to breach your shield is... unsettling. It's not that you relish a fight with the insane creatures, but, considering how they're hounding the Arbiter, you expected at least some minor show of aggression. One squad of soldiers leads the disengagement, carefully sliding into the rendezvous to clear ground for the scientists and engineers. Taiya moves through after the wounded scientist, and you wait until the last soldier from the rearguard is through before following.

The inside of the rendezvous is as expected. The room is an octagon, consisting mostly of rows of seating centered around a lowered platform. Before Teras station fell, the audience room probably had the same austere grandeur favored by Technocrat architects. Wax covers everything now, the dirty off-blue material reducing any aesthetic details to a series of homogenous rolls and ridges. This, however is largely unimportant to you. What is important is that this room is large, with a lot of area to get surrounded in, and no good stretches of level terrain for fighting on except at the platform located at the room's lowest point. High ground will be difficult, and possibly counterproductive, to hold. 
    The faint sounds of sporadic gunfire come from the westmost entrance to the room, giving you unneeded reminder that you have seconds to plan your defensive.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Allies (click to show/hide)

---

Toomas Amk

"Abominations do not need subterfuge, and might not be capable of it. Freaks have little use for it as well, and are insane. I am currently naked and would wish to correct that. If a detail is needed, you expressed, possibly in jest, that you would have added inductors to the circuit diagram on the scientist's back. So, have you done your work on the surveillance system? Can we leave before the situation worsens still?"

Hope Rob isn't entirely insane yet. Ponder significance of drooping face. A sign of degeneration, maybe? Loss of identity? Freak-like indication?

[Diplomacy 16] Robs hand shakes on the handle of the flechette pistol, clearly debating whether to believe anything you say. Eventually, and ever so gradually, he lowers the weapon. "I...  You're right.  We need to get out of here. I'm done. I can't trust anyone... but I need..." Rob pauses, closing his unfocused eyes and shuddering.  The skin of his face tightens again, and his eyes are focused and alert when he opens them again. He looks at you, naked as babe, and then down at the pistol in his hands. He grimaces for a moment, and reverses the pistol, handing the grip to you. "We need to leave now. There's a Doctor, of sorts, that Murnau has. He's one of the scientists, but he's cooperative. I need to see him. Fast."
     You take the opportunity provided by Rob's lucidity to get your clothes back on and think about the exact nature of your current problem. [Intuition 22] Physical degeneration is a very bad sign in a Cellburner, but you've never seen it happen that fast. In most cases, the Cellburner begins to lose their grip on humanity slowly, giving into hunger, depression, rage, or simply embracing the life of a creature that has no needs outside of food and occasional infusions of fresh telomeres from human flesh. You've seen it happen more than once, and the physical changes always start with small details shifting out of place. The small changes do accelerate towards the seemingly cancerous tissues carried by many Freaks, but there is a significant period where they seem almost exactly like themselves. Moreover, it's exceptionally rare for the process to be reversed. You've never seen something like what just happened to Rob. If you had to hazard a guess, you'd say that the event was rooted a in a deep psychological problem already present within Rob- not the slow but consuming insanity that afflicted Freaks.

Spoiler: Toomas Amk (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: August 16, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »

((James noooooooo! Damn. It's sad to see him go, but it does mean that another gets to join.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: August 16, 2014, 07:52:11 pm »

((ahaha, AHAHA, I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN I ABSOLUTELY KNEW IT, FROM THE VERY MOMENT SOMEONE DIED
AAAAAAAAHAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
james' death was inevitable honestly, noone can be such a leeroy as him and live. ...now to actually read the turn

I snapped his shield too, basically condemning him, and the paragraph focusing on James' death was great. I'm pleased, this is as good a death as I could have hoped for for James.))
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:55:32 pm by Powder Miner »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: August 17, 2014, 02:09:31 am »

Look through the shuttle's supplies, specifically for energy cells, ammo, explosives and tool kits
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: August 17, 2014, 06:57:07 am »

"Let us move quickly."

Take the pistol, and move out with Rob. Hope he's done the job right. Find Murnau, and get things moving once more.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: August 17, 2014, 07:03:37 am »

((dammit why James T_T Why not ME!? ...Yeah, my lack of action/posting is due to being synched with Zako's character. Sorry for absence.)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: August 17, 2014, 07:19:54 am »

"Close that door and seal it off however you can! Squad one, cover the north entrance! Squad two, you have the south! Cadet, you stay with the engineers and scientists and keep them safe! Alonso, Basilio, follow me! I'm going to back up Fennec!" Orders given, Dom started hustling to the west...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: August 17, 2014, 10:16:16 am »

((Ooooohh... Damn... Poor James. He died valiantly though, taking down that shield. Also, what about the effects of the surge? Does the presbyter get anything nasty inflicted on him?

Empathetic's strike again! Now, for the finishing blows!))

"FINISH HIM! FINISH HIM NOW!!!!!" The linked duo screams out in fury at the sight of James' death. They were so close to victory, they could almost taste it!

Move both bodies up into a shooting position and open fire with the assault and light rifles! While doing this, energy drain from the surroundings around the Presbyter (no brakes), and put it all into a -1 Neural Feedback, adding 15 energy on top. Then energy drain (no brakes) from the presbyter again and SHATTER MIND!

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: August 17, 2014, 11:42:54 am »

[Poor James indeed, but at least he died valiantly. That's the most people can ask for when it comes to that.]

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: August 18, 2014, 04:54:32 pm »

((dammit why James T_T Why not ME!? ...Yeah, my lack of action/posting is due to being synched with Zako's character. Sorry for absence.)

((No problem, I'm bound to be spotty until December as well. Joys of college. My Monday involves starting my first class at 7:30AM, and ending my last class at 9:30PM. Working on things while I have a break.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: August 18, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »

(...You're not in classes for a full 14 hours straight, are you? I mean, damn.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: August 18, 2014, 09:51:50 pm »

((No, I'm in class for five hours and at work for five hours, with short breaks between classes. I'd shoot myself if I had fourteen hours of classes in a day.))
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: August 26, 2014, 09:24:49 am »

((I may shoot myself anyway if I have to go to my engineering stat class again. It's a 4000 level class. It had Calc III as a pre-req. Should be at least somewhat challenging, no?
We've spent Four class periods going over the mean, the median, and the mode.  I'm genuinely worried that I'm going to fall asleep in class, collapse onto my desk, and break my nose.

Anyway, sorry for the delays. Getting acclimated + long turns for a number of you.

EDIT: (because I missed it before, somehow.)

(( Also, what about the effects of the surge? Does the presbyter get anything nasty inflicted on him?))
No, the heavy difficulty mod you got was for doing something very specific with the surge- completely obliterating the mindbar in this case. So, since you wanted a specific effect, you don't get Surge's normal deleterious shotgun effect.))
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:36:57 am by Draignean »
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: August 26, 2014, 10:58:35 am »

Toomas Amk

"Let us move quickly."

Take the pistol, and move out with Rob. Hope he's done the job right. Find Murnau, and get things moving once more.

You disarm Rob immediately, not wanting to have the man go insane while still armed. Being shot wouldn't be fatal, but it would be both painful and inconvenient. After you're sure that Rob is under control, you peek your head outside of the access substation and check to make sure that the Abomination hasn't decided to stick around in hope of an easy meal. 
   Luckily, it hasn't. The floor is covered in a clean layer of wax, the scientist's blood noticeably absent, but there doesn't appear to be anything more hostile than usual about the empty hallway. A security camera swivels to look at you as you leave, a good omen that Rob was at least able to complete his end of the mission. As you head back to the Cellburner section of the station, Rob's behavior is erratic. At times, there is no noticeable change in him. He follows you carefully, his expression showing hints of pain and focus, but is otherwise little different than it was when you started your mission. Other times, brief intervals where his breathing grows labored and he begins to eye the dark corridors you pass with a clear expression of hatred and fear, he becomes noticeably erratic. He mumbles things about needles in his brain, a voice in his dreams, and the armies of imposters that lurk just out of his sight and hide when he turns to look for them. Once, he grabs the back of your jumpsuit as though suddenly blind, letting you lead him while he emits a steady stream of profanity centering around the idea that the walls are murderers.
    You try to contact Murnau via your bone mic as soon as you get within range, picking up mostly static until you get inside the part of the military sector that the Cellburners maintain. Naturally, he asks to speak with Rob immediately, which unfortunately coincides with one of Rob's more profane mumbling spells. You don't know what Murnau says, you'd have to be the one touching the mic for that, but Rob begins screaming at the mic within minutes. Eventually, he calms down, not back to a state of sanity, but with enough decorum left to hand you the mic back. [Observation 17] Rob's fits of mania are worsening and quickening rapidly, and his moments of lucidity are slipping. Oddly, now that you're with him during the transitional states of madness, he seems to bond with you and treat you as completely trustworthy.
   You tap the mic as soon as it's up against you, and Murnau's growling voice comes in immediately. "Get Rob over to the air processing station. Avoid everyone. Try to keep him from talking."
   There aren't a lot of Cellburners, but keeping Rob out of suspicion will take a lot of luck. [Luck 18] Which, thankfully, seems to be something you have in spades. As you open the reinforced door back to the military sector, a faint ringing sound reaches your ears. There isn't a lot of the dry-cake nutrients that the Cellburners were supplemented with during Teras' operation, but what's left is apportioned to the remaining Cellburners once every three days at Church noon. Food, being one of the few comforts available to your kind, should create a decent distraction from Rob's sudden decent into insanity.
   [Mobility 12+2] Even with Rob suspecting random inanimate objects of various repulsive crimes and deviancy, you're able to drag him to air processing without a great deal of trouble. Not that dragging one Cellburner that appears to be going mad into the den of Cellburners who are known to be on the shakier leg of sanity is going to be trouble free in and of itself. There is a reason that those still sane avoid this place.

With that reservation in mind, your first reaction to air processing is one of surprise. It's empty. Machines hum with a faint and sickly tune, but nothing else stirs. The machine works and local atmospheric controls adjoined, but both doors are tightly closed.  [Observation 17] There are faint depressions in the wax from recent foot traffic, but they follow a straight and purposeful line- not the meandering trail of those whose humanities have slipped. You follow the tracks to the end of air processing, down to the machine works. You push the door open cautiously, trying to keep a firm grip on the temporarily lucid Rob.
   The machine works have been converted, though you're not entirely sure into what. The sterile beds supporting unconscious Cellburners and the edged paraphernalia hanging from the walls suggest some form of surgical ward. Computer systems and analyzers suggest a laboratory of some kind. The whitecoated scientist with his hands knuckle deep into the brain of one of the unconscious subjects... that bespeaks the experimental ward from the time when Teras was fully dedicated to testing your kind. Murnau stands beside the scientist, his expression one of carefully masked curiosity and barely controlled anger. Both Murnau and the scientist look up when you enter. The Scientist betrays no emotion as he regards you, but Murnau's face darkens immediately.
  "Rob! On the slab, now!" Murnau barks, pointing at one of the tables not occupied by a sleeper.
   Rob, still in a relatively sane state, grimaces and acquiesces silently. There's a flicker of fear in his eyes, but you're not sure whether the fear is due to Murnau, or whatever is about to be done to him.
  The scientist sighs and leaves the body he's working on, clamping the man's skull into an open state to prevent it from immediately healing back together. "I did warn you," the scientist says in a dry voice, picking up long, straight piece of metal as he approaches Rob, "you cannot 'wean' yourself off treatment." The scientist traces a line across Rob's forehead with the rod, bringing it almost to a rest just above his eyebrow. "There are those I cure, those I cannot help, and those that get caught a little in between. Feeling better is no reason to stop taking your..." The scientist pauses, concentrating on getting the positioning of the rod just right. "Medicine," he finishes, driving the rod through Rob's skull with a single precise stab.
   Rob gasps and jerks, the presence of the rod preventing his body from immediately healing the damage. The spasm, however, passes as quickly as it came, and Rob returns to stillness. Drool still trickles out of the corner of his mouth, but rod's precise placement seems to have rendered the Cellburner completely inert.
  "Now, he's going to need to settle a little while," the scientist adds when Rob lies still. "I'll begin treatment as soon as you've dealt with your new employee."
   Murnau's back stiffens slightly. You had thought that the anger he was hiding was triggered by Rob, but you might have been wrong. You can't fathom why Murnau would allow the scientist to give commands, even indirect ones, but he seems to be enduring the treatment. Even if that sufferance is with ill temper. "Did you succeed?" Murnau asks, his tone remaining level.

---

Dominique Wakeman

"Close that door and seal it off however you can! Squad one, cover the north entrance! Squad two, you have the south! Cadet, you stay with the engineers and scientists and keep them safe! Alonso, Basilio, follow me! I'm going to back up Fennec!" Orders given, Dom started hustling to the west...

[Luck 2] The orders are no sooner out of your mouth than the first of Fennec's group becomes visible through the west entrance. Taiya [Empower 8+1] [Control 16+1, -25% cost] sends another surge of energy through the door behind you, closing it with a shower of sparks a scream of protesting metal.  [Mechanism Integrity 2] Thin trails of smoke leak from the warped edges of the door, and you don't need to be told that the door's motivators are probably completely blown.
   The first of Fennec's group to make it in is an engineer and two scientists, each one being pushed strongly forward by the remnants of a fireteam.  Your soldiers, only partially in position, sight in to deal with anything that comes through behind.
   There's a short delay before the next group of soldiers comes through, their arrival heralded by a faint golden glow from the open hallway. The freaks come with them. Fennec's three remaining soldiers back up in a controlled retreat, trying to push back the Freak's with control bursts to knees and necks. Fennec himself is the source of the golden light, his armor reinforced by a secondary structure of light- almost identical to the glow that held you in place when you were shuttled to Eridani. His rifle is missing, and he fights with a pistol and a short Arbiter's blades that glows with the same light as his secondary armor.
   [Soldier Marksman 2+1,2+1] Neither of your teams prove effective at providing precision support fire, and you're only able to watch as Fennec's two flanking marines are swarmed under by clawed experiments. [Failed roll not shown] Fennec is able to decapitate one attacker and kneecap another, but the damage is done. By the time Fennec and the remaining marine manage to make it to the door into the audience hall, their retreat is anything but ordered. The two literally hurl themselves into the room, Fennec roaring for the Marines to open fire as he and the marine flatten themselves against the floor.
   Your six soldiers, suddenly unburdened by the need to shoot around their allies, switch to automatic. Six soldiers trying to take precision shots wasn't enough to stop, or even slow down, the oncoming Freaks. Six soldiers focusing 210+ rounds of high-velocity rifle slugs on a single entrance, that has an effect. The Freaks aren't just momentarily driven back; the entire front rank of them disintegrate into slippery greyish gore. Those that remain, shielded by the falling corpses of their kin, continue surging forwards. If they have any fear of death, they don't show it. You steel yourself to engage the Freaks as they pour through, but something odd happens.
   When the first of the Freaks makes it through the hail of rifle and machine gun fire to stand at the room's threshold, it stops, pivots, and runs back the way it came. The remaining Freaks turn back as soon as the leader does, turning and wheeling back on themselves like a flock of starlings.   
   "Blessed Mother," Fennec whispers as he stands, watching the Cellburners turn back. "That was... unexpected."

[Kinesthesia 9+2] [Failed roll not shown] You're not sure how far the Freak have pulled back. They could be waiting just inside the shadows, or they could have retreated entirely.

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Allies (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

Look through the shuttle's supplies, specifically for energy cells, ammo, explosives and tool kits

[observation 15, 22] The shuttle has already been stripped of most all useful components, but you're able to improvise a few things. You recharge a few of your dead energy cells using a trickle feed from the shuttle's reactor, and you replenish some of your bypass kit's using supplies from various, largely unnecessary, parts of the shuttle. Ammunition, unfortunately, is something in rather short supply. There's nothing here for you to fabricate new rounds with, and Dom didn't just leave a stack of mags out for you. [Mechanics 20+2] You are, however, able to make three small, but exceptionally dangerous, explosives. You convince Emily to give you a couple reactor capsules containing an amounts of ClF3, designed to be opened incrementally as the volatile chemical is required. You modify that design, changing the capsules so that they open immediately and fully when triggered, then you slot each one into a bottle of booze from Dom's bar.  The booze itself won't add much to the explosion, but the chemical fire generated by the interaction of the ClF3 and the water constituent, not to mention the glass bottle itself, should be... energetic. Theoretically, you should be able to send a signal up to fifty feet to release a capsule, and you can extend your range well beyond that if you have some form of amplifier.   

(Two energy cells added. Two charges added to bypass kit. Three remote tri-fluor bombs added.)

Spoiler: Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

Anna and Tyrin

"FINISH HIM! FINISH HIM NOW!!!!!" The linked duo screams out in fury at the sight of James' death. They were so close to victory, they could almost taste it!

Move both bodies up into a shooting position and open fire with the assault and light rifles! While doing this, energy drain from the surroundings around the Presbyter (no brakes), and put it all into a -1 Neural Feedback, adding 15 energy on top. Then energy drain (no brakes) from the presbyter again and SHATTER MIND!

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

Hickie takes his shot from the roof [quickshot 9-1], but the heavy rifle proves unwieldy at short range. The sabot pierces the earth to the Presbyter's left, but leaves him unharmed.
   Wigs, reeling from the loss of another friend, advances to attack despite the lacerations that criss-cross his face and arms. Too exhausted to use psionics, he resorts to the pulse rifle.  [Quickshot 17+1-1] [Quickshot 4-2] His first shot hits the Presbyter solidly, the paired pulse burning flesh and boiling blood. (Presbyter HP -13, -19. The Presbyter has been Killed.) The force of expanding plasma is enough to knock the already kneeling presbyter onto his back, seemingly taking the last bit of fight out of the Technocrat.

"Please... You can't," the Presbyter's voice whispers in the minds of the rebels, his presence faint and flickering. "I am... sorry. I tried to... to help you. You can't keep... fighting." The presbyter's body barely moves as he speaks, his eyes still staring almost sightlessly at the vast and clouded canopy of leaves overhead. His intact arm does twitch, however, moving with feeble purpose to point directly at Anna. "We both want... want..." the voice ebbs for a moment, growing unfocused and hazy before returning with clarity. "Want to save the lives of... everyone. You just don't... understand. Please... let me... show you."
  Anna can sense an invitation in the Presbyter's mind, an intentional openness. He's asking her to experience the last moments of his life, an experience that will be unpleasant even if it isn't a trap. [Hidden Roll] The last few minutes haven't been the best way to get to know someone, but, even before her orientation, Anna was good at reading people. This man would kill her for what he believes in, but he probably also realizes that he's beaten. If he does know something, he might be willing to wager everything on a last ditch effort to convert her with what he perceives as the truth rather than kill her.

((Tyrin, Anna, you may add on 3 Attribute points, two skill points, and one evolution to your characters.))
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: August 26, 2014, 11:19:24 am »

"We may have. It is hard to say at the moment. I believe we did, but I could be wrong. Rob did most of the systems work, and I did not double check, as I had to lead away an abomination, and when I returned, Rob was unstable, and I thought it appropriate to retreat at that moment. The task should be done. Should be. But there is a chance it might not be, depending on the nature of Rob's degeneration. I could reassure you, but reality is probably preferable in a sensitive situation."
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 602