Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 486383 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: It wasn't Wigs.
« Reply #8925 on: August 26, 2014, 11:25:39 am »

Murnau's eyes narrow. "I'm not in need of your reassurance. I'll send one of the Tech's to check everything out and make sure he did the routing properly. For now, I need you to put this place out of your mind and check on Varic. He was supposed to just check out the prisoner guards and keep Wakeman busy, but he hasn't had the manners to give me a report back yet. Find him, and remind him that he has a job to do."

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: August 26, 2014, 01:46:39 pm »

"Right away. Any other notes before I go?"

If not, move out according to orders. I assume I know where to go, at least. Check out Rob's pistol along the way.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:05:28 pm by Harry Baldman »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: August 26, 2014, 01:55:21 pm »

[I wonder if I can post ._. Should've done that anyway..Sorry]

Anna, whatever you choose, we're in this together. I would not forsake a dying man--I believe despite how twisted a Technocrat is, there is still a sliver of humanity in them as why we consider them...similar.

I will stand by you in whatever choice you make. My energy is yours.

Erm...I wonder if I can do passive empathetic sense here @Presbyter

Spoiler: Upgraded Sheet (click to show/hide)

((Evolution?))
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:59:41 pm by Tiruin »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: August 26, 2014, 03:01:13 pm »

"Don't relax yet! They may not have gone far!" Dom said as she (along with her Immortals) jogged over to Fennec. Once she was near him, she took another look into the hall, pinging it with her kinetic sonar to see if she could find the freaks.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: August 26, 2014, 03:57:40 pm »

((Evolution?))

((An evolution of one of your psychic abilities,  a personalized and improved form of something you already have.  Just pick a psionic, passive or active, and give me a vague idea of things you wish you could do with it.

Just don't tap B.))

Erm...I wonder if I can do passive empathetic sense here @Presbyter

[P.Empathetics 15+1] The presbyter is dying, rapidly. He'd been damaged severely before he even began fighting you, and he'd compensated by empathetically bridging severed nerves and shutting down or blocking most non-essential signals. Now, with his energy depleted and his body dying, he can no longer hold himself together. The empathetic energy necessary to keep his brain from shutting down is no longer sustainable, and his wounds have made his body physically inoperable.
   There is nothing left in the presbyter but a husk that's only capable of continued life through psionicism. He'll die within the next minute, and any lapse of focus in the meantime will kill him instantly. You doubt that he's capable, in any way, of attacking.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: August 26, 2014, 04:01:44 pm »

After a second of physical lapse, though in thought what seemed to be hours of thought, Tyrin's thoughts poked Anna's.

Grant him his request. So far would his beliefs be, I doubt that he won't stray from his greater good in my eye.

Open up to him or let the doubt fester forever.

((@Draignean: Evolution hmm? How's about a Mindsight ability that relies on Willpower yet aids in Physical situations more than Psionic in that its like...clairvoyance?))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: August 26, 2014, 05:54:13 pm »

((@Draignean: Evolution hmm? How's about a Mindsight ability that relies on Willpower yet aids in Physical situations more than Psionic in that its like...clairvoyance?))

((So, evolution of the basic precognition?  I should note that predicting the future isn't actually possible. You can know things as soon as they're about to happen, as happens with the precognition ability. That ability basically allows you to realize that someone has triggered a muscle group before the electrical impulse actually finishes acting on the muscle. You can make some damn good inferences about what's happening around you if you happen to be able to sense the material state of everything around you, but you can't actually know the future. Granted, when the prediction is for a short enough period of time, the difference between predicting the future with certainty and inferring the future with near certainty come down to semantics.))

((BTW, the transparent text with glow is a great way to do thoughts in the darkling theme. Very cool looking.))
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:57:14 pm by Draignean »
---

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: August 27, 2014, 05:55:58 am »

Anna thought the offer over for a split second after getting the poke from Tyrin, before she nodded. Even if it was going to be unpleasant to experience or if he was going to lash out with his last thoughts, the possibility of getting intel from an actual presbyter was worth the risk.

Accept the offer and give the man his peace of mind. Find out what he knows and use the mindbar as a shield from at least some of the mental feedback.

((Holy shit, we did it. I can't believe we lived through that...

Also, character info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For my evolution, I'm thinking one of the following: An upgrade to Surge to make it more lethal/crippling in some manner, a upgrade for mindbar in some manner that has more efficient/effective defences and maybe a reactive counter of some kind, or, a upgrade to Neural Feedback that's just overall more crippling and may inflict more effects, and may even be effective on non-psionics.

Which do you like the sound of/what do you think is fair? Can you give me any idea on what you might make of these so I can choose easier? :P))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:45 am »

((Ah. Working on your turn a little, but it's a busy week before labor day. Don't expect anything until the weekend, if then.

For a more lethal surge... Considering that surge is basically creating electrical chaos, a sensible (and more lethal) evolution would be to manipulate the electrical potentials of two surfaces until they spontaneously equalize. Like lightning. I'd say that it would have great accuracy, terrible range in most cases, and there would be a delay of several turns between use and effect that would partially dictate damage.

For an upgraded neural feedback... Well, there are two major upgrades there. On the anti-psionic side, you should be able to have a psionic to completely lock down a target's abilities, provided you can (on average) beat their skill checks and/or beat them through sheer stamina. On the anti-everything side, a neural feedback that temporarily reduces the skills/attributes of an individual every time they use those skills/attributes would be pretty vicious.

For an upgraded mindbar... A reactive, offensive, mindbar, would be a separate evolution from a more efficient mindbar. A reactive mindbar I'd see as giving you what amounts to a free shot with neural feedback with energy ~equivalent to the attack that caused the reaction. Just an improved mindbar without the special abilities would likely not slow your stamina regeneration (or would slow it had a lower rate if you shielded a group) and increase the roll necessary to pierce the mindbar.

Of course, all of these are just ideas. Feel free to throw in your own thing.))

---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: August 27, 2014, 03:40:20 pm »

((So, evolution of the basic precognition?  I should note that predicting the future isn't actually possible. You can know things as soon as they're about to happen, as happens with the precognition ability. That ability basically allows you to realize that someone has triggered a muscle group before the electrical impulse actually finishes acting on the muscle. You can make some damn good inferences about what's happening around you if you happen to be able to sense the material state of everything around you, but you can't actually know the future. Granted, when the prediction is for a short enough period of time, the difference between predicting the future with certainty and inferring the future with near certainty come down to semantics.))

((BTW, the transparent text with glow is a great way to do thoughts in the darkling theme. Very cool looking.))
((Then Yes. :D The next biggest problem is personal interpretation. So more fun. :P
Though my second choice was...like an evolution of physical reflexes and all. I'll go with that evolution you've expounded upon above, thanks.

Also yes x2, I'm using Darkling here [and do know how it looks in default forum theme...]. Glad to know it is noticed ;3))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: August 28, 2014, 02:06:07 am »

((What do you think about a more crippling or debilitating surge? Not so much damage, but more focus on status effects and making it more capable of punching through defences for them? Maybe applying more than one effect per level of charge?

That said, I'm liking the sound of the lightening in the brain and especially the neural feedback stuff. That anti-everything one looks downright nasty. How exactly would that one work?))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: August 28, 2014, 08:42:09 am »

((What do you think about a more crippling or debilitating surge? Not so much damage, but more focus on status effects and making it more capable of punching through defences for them? Maybe applying more than one effect per level of charge?

That said, I'm liking the sound of the lightening in the brain and especially the neural feedback stuff. That anti-everything one looks downright nasty. How exactly would that one work?))

((I could see doing a focused surge, one that would allow you to a specify a class of status inflictions. It would give better odds of actually getting a status effect and longer durations, but it wouldn't have the potential to inflict quite as many disparate effects as a basic surge.

If, however, you're looking to really screw with your enemy without inflicting damage, I might suggest an evolution to mind bend instead. No actual damage, but improving it with regards to hallucinations could have... interesting uses.

Now, the generalist neural feedback... Instead of inflicting damage, the feedback would inflict minor skill/attribute drain (probably something like 1d[difficulty/2 +1]) every time the target takes a focused action. The target will regenerate skill points back at a rate determined by their will (or derived P.Empathetics) and how well you rolled on the feedback. However, they can't regenerate skill/attribute points of a type that they lost in the current or prior round.  Example: You use the evolved feedback at a -4 penalty on a Tech Marksman, and so he loses 1d3 points of marksman if he takes an aimed shot, or 1d3 points of dexterity if he takes a quickshot. He'll start regenerating skill points if he takes a breather, but if he takes a shot (marksman, dex type), moves to new cover (mobility, dex), set's up another shot (N/A), and fires again (marksman, dex), he's still used only skills from the dexterity tree, and all of those skills will remain penalized and won't regenerate until he either rests or starts using a different type of skill.
If a skill is depleted in this manner, they start taking attribute drain. If an attribute is depleted... worse things would happen.))
---

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: August 29, 2014, 12:57:01 am »

((Hmmm... Something to keep in mind for future evolutions then. Thanks dude!

So these drains add up on each other the more they use the same skill, like shooting twice in one action would have the marksman skill drain twice? Can you drain more than one skill/attribute at the same time in one action? Will this technique be stopped by a mindbar? Does it still have the normal neural feedback effects and are they also applicable to non-psionics?

If you can't tell, I'm really starting to dig this evolution. :P))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: August 29, 2014, 11:00:13 am »

((Okay, so if I get serious in this designing step...

Stat drain would apply to each skill/attribute rolled that round, with the exception of complex actions and defensive rolls. Defensive rolls have a ~25% to trigger the effect, and complex rolls have a 50% chance to trigger per roll. Targets could immediately reverse stat drain at twice the normal rate by taking a essentially skipping a round. If the effect completely drains an attribute, each point of skill/attribute lost will 'detonate'. Target will take take 5 of stamina damage for each attribute detonated, and 3 points for each skill point detonated, but the target will regenerate all points lost that particular attribute tree points over the next two rounds. Against psychic targets, all stamina drained will then immediately be used to fire a standard a -3 neural feedback using your P.Empathetics a roll. Non-psychic targets will take health damage equal to the stamina damage. Sound good?  Difficulty will probably modify duration, and, to a lesser extent, damage.

-> An attribute hits 0, Evolved attack detonates and devolves -> free neural feedback against psychics/health damage against others
So. Use Ability->Stat Drain->OR
                                        -> Effect Duration runs out

On an unrelated note, I started listening to BÖC while writing. First song that came up? Veteran of the Psychic Wars.
Also, I'm coming to the conclusion that I actually do need to revise how stats and skills work. My optimism when I switched to a d22 was, perhaps, misplaced. Je suis la grenouille.))

---

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: August 30, 2014, 08:31:48 am »

((Ok, you sold me. I'll take what you described to me. Should definitely come in useful in the future...

One question though. Does it work on robotics and/or cyborgs?))
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 602