Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 490446 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Everything is About Control
« Reply #8985 on: November 16, 2014, 09:06:11 pm »

Dominique Wakeman

"I'll do my best to accomplish all objectives," she said in response. "Doctor Polburn, this is Harlequin Ayleen. Arbiter Fennec is moving to secure the escape; I'm coming for you. Can you tell me what the chain of command remaining is?" she asked the civilian as she signaled her men forward, moving to advance herself.

Talk and walk.

The groups split, leaving you in charge of a fairly fresh defensive group while Fennec and Taiya scan through different paths back to the ship that will allow them to intercept the Freak strike. You lead your group forwards, maintaining caution as you engage the good doctor.
   "Chain of command is... loose," the doctor's static laden voice replies. "We're a fraction of what used to be, and many of the survivors are injured physically or... mentally. The TCR was eaten, one of the first to be killed by these Freaks., the Military commander gave his life attempting to activate the distress signal, and the rest of his men died buying the time for us to barricade ourselves off from the rest of the station." The line crackles heavily, a sigh from the doctor. "I was a bio-aug researcher, not management stream, but I suppose I'm at the head of the chain of command."
   Which probably means that the scientist Fennec wants is either badly injured, or he's one of the ones that broke in the head. It doesn't really matter to you, but it's probably not going to make the Arbiter terribly happy.

As Fennec mentioned, you were close. You reach the door to the military sector quickly, and one of the scientists steps forward to enter the access codes. The door slips open easily, and your group moves inside by stages. Nothing really changes in here. Everything is still covered in wax, and there's no sign of human habitation. Oddly, there are two pillars of wax to either side of the military gate, as though to mark its significance. You advance quickly, feeling on edge. You group is of a decent size, an army when compared to days not so long ago, but you're going to be stretched awfully thin when protecting a group of fifty.
    "We see you approaching," Polburn's signal comes again, clearer now. "We'll unlock exterior doors when you get close. Be wary, even the stupid ones can have the guile to hide in wait."
    Given your experience with the wax blisters, that comes as a warning you don't need, but it's still enough to put you on edge. [P.kinetics Hidden] You can't feel anything moving near the group, but that could just mean that your foes are being very still. Your skin is prickling all over by the time your group reaches the door to the mess, though your brawling reflexes remain calm. The blast shielding for the mess door has been lowered, [observation 16] though, oddly, no wax has taken hold on the surface. You rap on the surface, more because it feels right than out of any necessity, and the shielding opens obligingly a few seconds later. The door beneath clicks open a little out of sequence, the wax that crusts its surface impeding its proper function.
     You take your group inside the mess, retaining defensive caution. Wax covers everything in here- bad news, considering that the scientists identified it as poisonous to humans. Ragged beds cover the floor near the entrance, with shifting and moaning lumps indicating occupants. Thirteen standing individuals greet you, seemingly unarmed and largely unarmored except for hazardous work suits on two. One, with a stripped communicator wired over his ear, steps forward to greet you when the last of your soldiers enters and the door slides jerkily shut behind you. "Harlequin, my name is Elias Polburn, we spoke earlier. I cannot tell you how glad I am to meet you," he says, extending his hand. [Hidden Roll]

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Allies (click to show/hide)

---

Toomas Amk
"Thinking on that idea again, it does sound like I am soft in the head. I tend to speak before I think often," Amk says, running his palm over his face softly.

"In any case, if you cannot offer transparency, then we have little to speak of. Good plans are the only thing worth offering loyalty to, and without knowing details Murnau's wins out by miles, schizophrenic minions notwithstanding. With that in mind, we are done. Shame."

Is Mia dead, or has she just been lying around on the ground comatose and inhibited in this time period? If yes, then fill up on delicious telomeres from her corpse when Wakeman walks off the scene.

If not, congratulate her on endurance (and pull out bone fragments if needed) and help her up when Wakeman walks off the scene.

In any case, proceed along with routine.

"Likewise," Wakeman replies. "If things change, let me know. It's not too late until we've already left." Wakeman gives you a nod that's almost a bow, then walks away. He seems confident in what he's doing, whatever that would be. Of course, he'd probably be less confident in his escape plan if he realized that Murnau had restored power to the internal cameras.

When he's gone, you kneel over Mia and fiddle with her eye-socket, working Wakeman's spine against the ocular ridge until it pops free. The skin, muscle, and brain begin to pull back together as soon as it's out of her head. Her pupil's focus a second later, and she jerks away from you, reacting to a blow that fell minutes ago. "I-" she begins, coughing over a dry tongue, "What the fuck just happened?"
    You explain, calmly, what just happened to Mia. She is, somewhat justifiably, upset. She rants at you and Varic for not killing Wakeman when you had the chance, but most of her anger seems focused around her own inability to take Wakeman down.

When Mia is calm enough to travel, you suggest returning to Murnau to report. Her expression shifts to one of clear apprehension at the suggestion, but she agrees and allows you to lead the way back to atmospherics.
    Except you never get as far as atmospherics. Another cellburner, one of Murnau's judging by the body armor, weapon, and casual approach, stops you before you can cut through the edge of communications. He looks at the three of you, his brow furrowed. "Action is starting, Murnau has half the Technocrat force trapped. Where's Chan?"

Spoiler: Toomas Amk (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: November 16, 2014, 09:27:00 pm »

"Until I'm completely certain that whatever is going on here is not contagious, I'll be keeping my hands on my weapons," Dom said, declining the handshake. She tilted her head to indicate the wax covering everything. "If you're bio-aug, you must have worked on it... So what is this crap?" she asked. She didn't care about his answer - she just wanted to stall him for a moment to think. That poisonous wax was practically ankle-deep, and he hadn't named any names... meaning he probably didn't know the names of 'his superiors'. She couldn't even voice her suspicions to her allies, because he had contacted them on the team frequency and was probably still listening to it - she would be, if she was in his shoes. She hoped the soldiers were feeling as jumpy as she was.

Cut dialogue off and open fire if Polburn insists on getting in Dom's personal space, starting with the needle launcher.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:28:51 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: November 16, 2014, 09:54:26 pm »

"Until I'm completely certain that whatever is going on here is not contagious, I'll be keeping my hands on my weapons," Dom said, declining the handshake. She tilted her head to indicate the wax covering everything. "If you're bio-aug, you must have worked on it... So what is this crap?" she asked. She didn't care about his answer - she just wanted to stall him for a moment to think. That poisonous wax was practically ankle-deep, and he hadn't named any names... meaning he probably didn't know the names of 'his superiors'. She couldn't even voice her suspicions to her allies, because he had contacted them on the team frequency and was probably still listening to it - she would be, if she was in his shoes. She hoped the soldiers were feeling as jumpy as she was.

Cut dialogue off and open fire if Polburn insists on getting in Dom's personal space, starting with the needle launcher.

Doctor Polburn's smile doesn't falter. "Understandable Harlequin, there is little time for pleasantries and I can understand a desire for distance." He follows your gesture at the wax and nods. "Ah, the Wax. I could give you a better name, but it has a double digit syllable count and is meaningless unless you're a chemist. The Wax is a byproduct of the regeneratives in the test subjects, something that is partially organic, yet completely and totally useless in an organic system. The regenerative compound was designed to break down all organic substances that did not fit the genetic blueprint of the host, and then use the resulting components to aid its processes. Like all processes, however, the regeneration is not completely efficient, and it results in a toxic by-product that contains the sequestered remains of everything the regenerative cannot break down. I did, thankfully, find a compound that would inhibit its uptake, which is the reason we're still alive." He smiles again, the expression simultaneously utterly cold and bizarrely comforting. "As for the condition being contagious, well, there was one line designed with that in mind but... I can assure you that it was kept under tight control."
   For all that he talks about there being little time, the doctor himself seems in no rush. [Observation 20] Looking around him, you notice that the far end of the mess hall has far fewer makeshift beds, and none of them are occupied. Despite circumstances that could hardly be more suspicious, your kinetically tied brawling reflexes are calm, relaxed even. You're not sure why, but you feel that you can trust Doctor Polburn. [Hidden Roll]
    Polburn spreads his hands. "Science, however, is not the present concern. Please, let your soldiers help the wounded. You're safe for the moment, but we have a long way to travel and very little time."
    Even as he finishes, your soldiers begin lowering their rifles by ones and twos.

((He's on your group frequency, you can switch to an encrypted command channel at any time. You just can't talk to your soldiers without the possibility of him hearing. Honestly, would it be so bad if he heard you? He's clearly a friendly soul that wants to help you.))

((EDIT: Cold finger typos))
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:01:37 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: November 16, 2014, 10:15:39 pm »

(Even without meta-knowledge that you're clearly feeding me (:P) there's no way Dom is going to trust this guy, especially when she starts out highly suspicious and then starts getting the impression she should trust him when all evidence - the surroundings, the way he's acting, her situation in general - points to the idea that she shouldn't.)

Everything screamed something was wrong. She had too many reasons to be keyed up to start relaxing, especially at a time like this when she knew there were smarter ones attempting to get to the ship. Speaking of, she opened the encrypted channel to Fennec so he could hear her while she spoke to the 'survivors'. "Keep your rifles up, soldiers. You've already seen what those freaks are like. I'm not going to trust a single one of these guys until we have hard evidence that they're as human as we are." Dominique kept her eyes on Polburn - only taking them off to glance at the other twelve he had brought with him - while speaking to her team. "Do we have any tests that could prove that?" This was directed at her scientists. "Or should I assume I'm right in believing that the claim they can live among all this wax just fine is bullshit?"

Don't think it's psionics unless the Technocracy was really fucking around with things they shouldn't here. Besides, I think I would feel it if that were the case. Pheromones, maybe, like that crap that attracted all this big-ass ants? Could be. Just gotta focus... worst case scenario, just start firing.

Glance at Alonso and Basilio. How are they reacting?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: November 16, 2014, 10:53:01 pm »

(Even without meta-knowledge that you're clearly feeding me (:P) there's no way Dom is going to trust this guy, especially when she starts out highly suspicious and then starts getting the impression she should trust him when all evidence - the surroundings, the way he's acting, her situation in general - points to the idea that she shouldn't.)

Everything screamed something was wrong. She had too many reasons to be keyed up to start relaxing, especially at a time like this when she knew there were smarter ones attempting to get to the ship. Speaking of, she opened the encrypted channel to Fennec so he could hear her while she spoke to the 'survivors'. "Keep your rifles up, soldiers. You've already seen what those freaks are like. I'm not going to trust a single one of these guys until we have hard evidence that they're as human as we are." Dominique kept her eyes on Polburn - only taking them off to glance at the other twelve he had brought with him - while speaking to her team. "Do we have any tests that could prove that?" This was directed at her scientists. "Or should I assume I'm right in believing that the claim they can live among all this wax just fine is bullshit?"

Don't think it's psionics unless the Technocracy was really fucking around with things they shouldn't here. Besides, I think I would feel it if that were the case. Pheromones, maybe, like that crap that attracted all this big-ass ants? Could be. Just gotta focus... worst case scenario, just start firing.

Glance at Alonso and Basilio. How are they reacting?

You can feel irritation from Polburn when you basically accuse him of lying, but he doesn't show it. "I never said there were no ill effects, Harlequin. Those lying around you suffer from the poisoning, as do all here. It is managed, and in the best cases, the affliction remains asymptomatic, but, by all means let your own corroborate my words."
   [Scientist Will 1-2,9-2] One of your scientist nods enthusiastically as Polburn speaks, the other thinks a moment before speaking. "There is no reason they could not have managed to delay the poison. I have had formal training in toxicology, but I only evaluated this wax once under clinical conditions, and for a very brief time. These scientists would have had experience with it in labs for months, it's entirely possible their expertise allowed them to formulate an anti-toxin." The masked man looks at you, his tone changing to puzzled. "We have no reason to suspect otherwise, do we?"
    "It's our job to get these people to safety, Harlequin, not to try and find reasons to kill them," one of the infantrymen hisses through the comms, his voice accusatory.

Two conflicting thoughts cross your mind, the first is that the IQ of your team has just collectively dropped 50 points, the second is that the soldier is probably right- questioning the people you're trying to save is a serious breach of trust. The fact that you're thinking both simultaneously is about to give you a headache.
   Both Alonso and Basilio seem completely normal. Granted, that means that they're towering insectile exoskeletons that think of you as mother goose, but they seem alert and completely unaffected.

"Please, calm yourselves, everything is going to be alright," Polburn says soothingly. "Harlequin, I'm going to draw a scalpel from my coat, and I'm going to cut my hand. Will that satisfactorily prove that I am not some exceptionally clever Freak?"
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:00:46 pm by Draignean »
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: November 16, 2014, 10:53:47 pm »

James groaned to himself yet again as his hands went to his face. "Right, right, right." At least I can think to myself. "...I suppose the first order of business is to stop mumbling to myself like a crazy person... alright, like the crazy person that I am, and to get out of this morgue before I really do freeze to death." James rubbed his hands together, displeased with having to wear dead mens' clothes, but nonetheless aware that he was probably going to die if he didn't do so. He walked up slowly and quite unhappily to the morgue door and, not having any real brilliant ideas, began to bang on the door.

He was aware that it probably wouldn't be the most audible thing out there unless there happened to be someone with great/psychic hearing nearby. Yet, it was either that or break down the door (with Bly's likely help), and James wanted to try everything he could before even considering despoiling a resting place of the dead. Sometimes James wished he was a lot smarter than he was, really. There was probably an obvious third solution, probably using empathetics or something. Oh well, he'd ask Iscariot if this didn't work.

Bang on that morgue door.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: November 16, 2014, 11:34:49 pm »

"I asked for a scientific test, not your opinion," Dom snapped. "And you, shut up and think for a damn second. We KNOW there are smart freaks out there. We KNOW that the ones pursuing us didn't want to come this way - unless something's going on, it makes no sense for them to abandon the chase. We KNOW that this wax is harmful to normal people. We DON'T know that they have a way to neutralize it - if they could, why is it growing everywhere in here? Wouldn't the first thing they would do be try to get rid of it to help prevent complications? And why didn't Polburn name the chain of command instead of using titles? Why is that guy acting like a damn idiot when he's supposed to be a damned Technocracy scientist?"

She focused on Polburn. "I don't care if you bleed like anything else. I want hard, concrete proof." She flicked her eyes to her Immortals, then to Polburn's group. "And what about you lot? Do you have anything to say for yourselves?"

Goddamnit. I shouldn't give a fuck if these guys are Freaks; hell, I'm sure the Unchained would appreciate it if I let them get aboard a technocrat ship and go back to their base to tear shit up. But...I really have no one watching my back except these two bucketheads. I can't take the risk they won't jump us at the first opportunity. Shit, shit, shit, fuck...

She switched to broadcast solely on the encrypted channel for a brief moment. "Fennec, my gut tells me we're in shoulder-deep shit here. What's your opinion? Answer on this channel only." After speaking, she switched back to allowing external coms as well as talking on the team and encrypted frequencies.

If it's possible for Alonso and Basilio to do any sort of machine analysis for abnormalities in the room, do it and give Dom the results. Also examine Polburn as we speak. I want to see how he reacts to Dom's statements about what the team knows and doesn't know.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:36:26 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: November 17, 2014, 03:43:27 am »

Let Varric and Mia field the question and don't make unnecessary noise. Get on with the action.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: November 17, 2014, 11:32:41 am »

Dominique Wakeman

"I asked for a scientific test, not your opinion," Dom snapped. "And you, shut up and think for a damn second. We KNOW there are smart freaks out there. We KNOW that the ones pursuing us didn't want to come this way - unless something's going on, it makes no sense for them to abandon the chase. We KNOW that this wax is harmful to normal people. We DON'T know that they have a way to neutralize it - if they could, why is it growing everywhere in here? Wouldn't the first thing they would do be try to get rid of it to help prevent complications? And why didn't Polburn name the chain of command instead of using titles? Why is that guy acting like a damn idiot when he's supposed to be a damned Technocracy scientist?"

She focused on Polburn. "I don't care if you bleed like anything else. I want hard, concrete proof." She flicked her eyes to her Immortals, then to Polburn's group. "And what about you lot? Do you have anything to say for yourselves?"

Goddamnit. I shouldn't give a fuck if these guys are Freaks; hell, I'm sure the Unchained would appreciate it if I let them get aboard a technocrat ship and go back to their base to tear shit up. But...I really have no one watching my back except these two bucketheads. I can't take the risk they won't jump us at the first opportunity. Shit, shit, shit, fuck...

She switched to broadcast solely on the encrypted channel for a brief moment. "Fennec, my gut tells me we're in shoulder-deep shit here. What's your opinion? Answer on this channel only." After speaking, she switched back to allowing external coms as well as talking on the team and encrypted frequencies.

If it's possible for Alonso and Basilio to do any sort of machine analysis for abnormalities in the room, do it and give Dom the results. Also examine Polburn as we speak. I want to see how he reacts to Dom's statements about what the team knows and doesn't know.

Absolutely nothing seems capable of perturbing the doctor's outward calm, but you can feel his irritation... and a growing mixture of fascination and respect. "My dear Harlequin, am I not the reason you know of the group of test subjects that is, even now, attempting to prevent us from reaching your ship? Am I not the reason you know that there are such things as smart experiments? You trusted me then, why do you not trust me now? As for the behavior of the test subjects, who can say why they did not pursue? I imagine a military group such as your own was able to bloody them considerably, and even animals know to avoid pain." Polburn shakes his head and steps back a few paces to sit at one of the Wax encrusted tables, clearing intending to be comfortable while he engages you. "As for the Wax, I found methods to inhibit its uptake in the body, not its ability to spread. It would have exhausted those already suffering its effects to scrape it off every surface, and throwing it outside would have needlessly exposed our borders to threat. Our decision was tactical, I would have expected a Harlequin to understand that."
   The statements earns nods from most of the marines, and, if you look at it right, it does seem to make sense.
   "As for me neglecting names," Polburn pauses and turns his eyes to the ground, taking a long breath. "They were good people, forgive me for not putting names to broken bodies." He sighs, bringing his eyes up to yours. "What you want I cannot give. The anti-toxin was formulated before the breach, and I only worked from the formula. Proving months of scientific testing in a few seconds... its impossible, and why would you even ask us to? Aren't you statisfied we're alive?"

It's a rather bizarre sensation, part of you is utterly convinced that Polburn is being honest, the other part thinks he's the worst actor you've ever seen in your life- and that's counting Tarran's attempt to lie the Hensfield guards. Alonso and Basilio observe the room slowly, but, if they notice anything special, they don't show it. They are, however, designed to assist their users in hazardous combat environments- they might be relaying information to their 'users' that they aren't sending to you.

When you don't immediately begin nodding up and down with that Polburn is saying, his expression adopts one of concern. "Harlequin, I do not understand your reticence in helping us. However, neither you nor your team has been dosed with my inhibitor. It is quite possible that some quirk of your air filtration system has allowed some particles to enter your bloodstream." Polburn favors you with a calculated, sympathetic smile before he continues. "Paranoia and dementia are symptoms of Wax poisoning."
   [Marine Will 17-2,17-3, 1-1, 3-2][Engineer Will 12-3][Scientist will 13-2, 22-1] Some of your soldiers seem confused by the accusation, their rifles half raising again as the gravity of the accusation jolts their stupor. The rest of the infantry also begin to raise their rifles, but they shift to focus on you instead of the 'survivors'. The scientist that initially spoke in Polburn's defense, however, starts shaking his head. "This isn't right... I can't... I can't remember what isn't right, but... This isn't right," the man says softly, an expression of confusion visible through his mask.

You wait for any kind of response from Fennec, but nothing comes. There's static, but nothing more, not even a pulse in static to let you know that someone is trying to talk back.

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Allies (click to show/hide)

---

Toomas Amk

Let Varric and Mia field the question and don't make unnecessary noise. Get on with the action.

"Chan is..." Mia begins, her tone evasive. "It's not important right now. What do we need to do?"
   The other cellburner, you're almost certain his name is Boll, arches an eyebrow. "Interesting. Murnau's not going to be in a good mood after this. His pet scientist is doing something funny, and it doesn't seem to be going bloody."
   "Then what the fuck does he need us for?" Mia shoots back, more than a little defensive.
    Boll snorts, taking Mia's temper casually. "Insurance. Soldiers are trapped in the mess, cut back around and get outside the west entrance. If the doors open, attack, you should have the soldier's backs." Boll starts to walk off, but pauses a half turn through. "Oh, and I would advise growing armor if you can. They've found a chemical that is... quite detrimental. It would be a shame if something 'not important' happened to you as well," Boll adds, a flick of a lazy smile directed at Mia.
    "Jackass," Mia mutters as he leaves. "Come on you idiots," she adds, directing the comment at you and Varic, "we've got other idiots to kill."

Circling around takes time, cutting a roundabout path that avoids much the main floor. It seems that everything was mobilized at the lunch bell, though, considering that you only recently took aside, it's possible that was the plan for some time.  Regardless, the halls are completely empty, barren of your kind or anything but Wax, except... You pause in the middle one of the corridors, looking up at the ceiling. Varic and Mia make it another dozen feet before they realize you've stopped, Mia, predictably, swears at you. You ignore her, focusing on the ceiling. Even with with everyone stopped, light pulses from a point a few feet ahead of you, as though something is hammering it from the other side.  Abominations used to try tricks like this, attempting to crack into the vault of tasty Cellburners, but they gave up when it finally sunk in that they couldn't hammer through alloy plate.
   Metal creaks, and the ceiling suddenly bows downwards several inches, a bright seam forming in the wax.
   Varic and Mia exchange looks that border on terror. [Intuition 21+1] This shouldn't happen, it can't happen. You assisted on the original force calculations that determined which area of the station were safe to cordon off from the abominations. It is physically impossible for an abomination to simply batter its way though the floor, unless... Unless the floor had been weakened already. A few good cuts from a plasma cutter by someone with even half a brain could, quite easily, weaken the metal enough for a breach to occur.
   Another colossal slam sends a wave of light through the hallway, dropping the ceiling another two inches, and you're reminded powerfully of what Wakeman said about 'the last act of a desperate man'. 

Spoiler: Toomas Amk (click to show/hide)
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: November 17, 2014, 11:44:32 am »

"That is slightly unusual. Might be Wakeman's doing."

Move on out. There's probably nothing any of us would gain from finding out what flavor of abomination is going to seep through there. Pull Varic and Mia along if they don't take the hint.

"By... 'having the soldiers' backs', did Boll mean hurting them or aiding them? I admit I am slightly confused about the plan."

If I can retroactively ask this question of Boll instead, that would be wonderful. Otherwise ask Varic and Mia as we vacate the area post-haste.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: November 17, 2014, 11:45:51 am »

"That is slightly unusual. Might be Wakeman's doing."

Move on out. There's probably nothing any of us would gain from finding out what flavor of abomination is going to seep through there. Pull Varic and Mia along if they don't take the hint.

"By... 'having the soldiers' backs', did Boll mean hurting them or aiding them? I admit I am slightly confused about the plan."

If I can retroactively ask this question of Boll instead, that would be wonderful. Otherwise ask Varic and Mia as we vacate the area post-haste.

((Yeah, have their back here means: Have their back so you can put numerous foreign bodies in it.))
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: November 17, 2014, 11:48:14 am »

((Yeah, have their back here means: Have their back so you can put numerous foreign bodies in it.))

((Silly Boll and his unconventional usage of phrases.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: November 17, 2014, 12:12:25 pm »

"I'll give you this, Polburn. I don't know what your game is, but you're certainly playing it to the end. I know I don't have dementia, because I've seen those who have. And I have my reasons for not trusting you." Dom didn't bother to look behind her; she could sense the marines raising their rifles. "If you're going to raise those guns, point them elsewhere before I knock you on your asses. I'm not going to stand for insubordination. Now, it seems to me like you expected - hell, are still expecting - us to blindly just agree with anything you say. These idiots may be prey to whatever bullshit you're using, but I'm in this position for a reason."

"Men, if you don't trust me, try to raise the arbiter and get his opinion. I've already tried to get him on the line and haven't managed it. So either coms are blocked in here - making me question how you even hailed us in the first place - or he was the one led into a trap and is already dead. Either way, this is some shady shit going on here, and we have our orders. Is Malcolm here or not?" She hoped the sudden question would catch Polburn off-guard... and if he couldn't identify Olsen from his first name, then she had confirmation that this was an elaborate charade. If he could, well, then the soldiers could just take these survivors back and she could wash her hands of them. She only had one reason to be here, and Fennec's objectives weren't hers.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: November 17, 2014, 02:45:24 pm »

"I'll give you this, Polburn. I don't know what your game is, but you're certainly playing it to the end. I know I don't have dementia, because I've seen those who have. And I have my reasons for not trusting you." Dom didn't bother to look behind her; she could sense the marines raising their rifles. "If you're going to raise those guns, point them elsewhere before I knock you on your asses. I'm not going to stand for insubordination. Now, it seems to me like you expected - hell, are still expecting - us to blindly just agree with anything you say. These idiots may be prey to whatever bullshit you're using, but I'm in this position for a reason."

"Men, if you don't trust me, try to raise the arbiter and get his opinion. I've already tried to get him on the line and haven't managed it. So either coms are blocked in here - making me question how you even hailed us in the first place - or he was the one led into a trap and is already dead. Either way, this is some shady shit going on here, and we have our orders. Is Malcolm here or not?" She hoped the sudden question would catch Polburn off-guard... and if he couldn't identify Olsen from his first name, then she had confirmation that this was an elaborate charade. If he could, well, then the soldiers could just take these survivors back and she could wash her hands of them. She only had one reason to be here, and Fennec's objectives weren't hers.

Polburn purses his lips and nods, giving you an appraising look. "You are a very impressive specimen, yet I do not believe you are a Technocrat. If you were, you would have considered that in the event of an emergency in which the military sector is cordoned off, there would have to be a method of isolating communications flow for security purposes." Some of the soldiers begin to shift, and the doctor favors your group with a reassuring smile. "Of course, I do this now in order to prevent those nasty smart experiments from tapping in and realizing our plans, none of you have anything to worry about." Against all reason, that actually seems to quiet most of your men down.
   "As for Malcolm Olson.." Elias smiles wickedly, "I know him quite well, and if you're here to rescue him... That's certainly an ironic touch to the day." Doctor Polburn stands and straightens his sleeves. "The insurgents you sent ahead have failed, and so there is no cavalry coming for either us. The arbiter is out, killing my enemies, and you... You're slowly going mad while your soldiers watch. So, here's what I want to have happen. Your men are going to submit to injections, in order to prevent the toxin from spreading inside them. You, you will be personally treated by me. You're not quite as resilient as my recent subjects, but I'm convinced you can do great things. Alternately, well, we both know what happens alternately."
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: November 18, 2014, 12:45:13 am »

"Ah, so now we're down to brass tacks. Why don't you and I walk off this way a bit and discuss this in private?" Dom gestured away from the group with her shotgun.
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602