Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to write stories...  (Read 1411 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
I want to write stories...
« on: February 11, 2011, 08:25:43 am »

But I have a problem.

I never seem to get past the 'brainstorming' stage.

I scribble down ideas, but I just can't get myself to actually, y'know, stick with an idea long enough. Eventually, any idea will become, in my eyes at least, boring and I ditch it for another. It's been bugging me for so long, and I intend to pursue a career in creative writing one day.

HELP
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: I want to write stories...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:46:06 am »

Try the Storybook program. Very useful, sorry I don't have a link to it, so you're going to have to search google.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »

I've got the same problem.

My solution- Drop everything, turn off any distractions, and just write.
*insert witty signature here*

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 06:07:21 pm »

I find the Storybook program helps me when I have those bits of inspiration. When I've had a lot of inspiration it helps stick it all together.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:02:11 pm »

I had the same problem for a long time, and what I think it was was that when you lose interest in an idea you need to raise the stakes again. Interesting ideas propel the story forward, and I usually find I'm most bored with a story is when the story is the most boring. The easiest way to keep it interesting is to raise the stakes. The outline only gives you the goal posts, feel free to add whatever is necessary to the story between them. And what's necessary is what keeps the story enjoyable to write, because if not, why are you even writing it?

There are other ways too of course. Introducing another character—introducing a new character, connecting two hitherto unconnected plot elements, changing sets, changing scenes, and I personally enjoy description of scenery.

But yes
just write.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 06:08:15 pm »

I often have ideas/visions for scenes, and not coherent plots.

What I learned to do is write snippets for each scene, find a good plot later, then merge them into the greater story.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 05:30:04 am »

Start with short few paragraph stories. Evolve from there when you can focus on a single idea
Hello Hunam

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:21:07 am »

Hey, that Storybook program looks useful, thanks for the link.

My problem is generally getting somewhere in a story - I'll usually get an idea, write a bit down, think up a basic plot, but then get stuck connecting the scenes to eachother.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 10:37:30 am »

Practice connecting scenes. Read books where people connect scenes, and watch how they do it.

Alternatively, write all the scenes that you already know, see how they might fit together, and write a second draft with those connecting tissues incorporated.

Writing is a skill like any other, and you get better at it the more you do it while trying to improve it.

If you really intend to try to make a living at it (even professional authors are often only attempting to make a living off of it on their best days...) read books by competent authors*, and don't start imitating them. Instead, look at how they structure their stories, structure their sentences, structure their scenes.

Just writing is the best way to get things done, and I heartily recommend it.

* I am trying to be a fantasy author, so the genre I know is fantasy. If you have another genre you like, find the competent authors in its field, and read those.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 03:08:06 pm »

Also, read what writers you admire say about writing. You will be surprised at what lazy, miserable, poor bastards they invariably are.

Here is a smattering of useful links:
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2010/09/16/writing-find-the-time-or-dont/ (most practical)
http://chuckpalahniuk.net/workshop/essays/chuck-palahniuk
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anis-shivani/new-rules-for-writers_b_808558.html (most honest)

Unrelated, kinda, but this entire website was my lecturer's favorite. Has loads of writing prompts and other bits and bobs. I don't use it much, but it's pretty cool: http://www.languageisavirus.com/

Also, if you plan on doing it professionally, prepare to be poor. Really poor.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:15:25 pm by Ignus »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 05:08:06 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anis-shivani/new-rules-for-writers_b_808558.html (most honest)
Vindication is to be savored when it comes, and it has come here.

The only thing I disagreed with is converse only with the classics. You should read whatever you can get your hands on because everything will teach you. Even things that are awful, even things that you hate.

And maybe think small. I'm not content to rely on the scraps left over from the greats, I want to forge my own path, tell my own stories.

but it's pretty cool: http://www.languageisavirus.com/

Burroughs. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:09:46 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.