Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taverns: Stuff I think should be in them.  (Read 1520 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Taverns: Stuff I think should be in them.
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:22:38 pm »

Warning: Some of this may be completely idiotic and/or already suggested.

Here are some of the ideas that I have had for what should be in taverns, mainly in adventure mode.

1: Randomly generated stories told at tables. It would probably have some really nonsensical ones, but hey, the person telling it is probably drunk. Plus, you could find really great ones. Also, you could walk away if you didn't want to hear it.
2: Conmen. These guys would pretend to be quest givers and lead you on to a location where there is nothing but bandits waiting to jump you and steal your money. They could occasionally do cons on you, and give you fake medical stuff for your wounds.
3: Card games or word games. If card games are not possible, then word games at least. They have been around since the 1400s, at least! Again, can be avoided.
4: Bar songs. Occasionally, the bar will break out in song, and if you have a bit of musicality you can get money from your singing! Ideas for particular songs: Here!
5: This is a place where you can find the Mysterious Stranger. He should look similar to any evil/death god who has a human/elf/dwarf form. He could offer you a very special item (Adamantium heart that makes you able to survive without a heart, anyone?) that has one price: Your soul. If you take him up on the offer, he takes your soul. This doesn't affect the gameplay much apart from the animals hating you more then usual, not being able to stand in a church without dying and being at the whim of a death god. Sometimes, he will come back for favors. If you refuse him, he kills you.
6: Drunkards, essentially new versions of drunks, often hang out here. In fact, they practically live here. Hell, they actually live here. You can buy them a drink and they will automatically join you. They are quite useful for charges, but will never follow your orders or even care what is going on.
7: Informants, shady characters who know about the layout of the nearest noble's house, and you will know too if you give them 40 sliver coins quick. Useful if you want to play the thief for a bit.

So, tell me what you think, and please criticize.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taverns: Stuff I think should be in them.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:48:08 pm »

If the randomly generated stories are like the decorations/engravings in Dorf Mode it shouldn't be too difficult to do. I kind of like that.

Even better if there was some way to tell everybody the story of that time you totally killed that seven-headed pus-man in the caverns of RumpDyed and get free drinks off them. (not sure about adventure mode skills - are there social skills? Having a good Liar skill would be a great way of coming up with free drinks...until you got recruited by the king to kill the dragon FoulMouth.)

Conmen Are an awesome idea, especially if they also sometimes just sell you fake maps/artifacts/castles.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:53:59 pm »

1: Randomly generated stories told at tables. It would probably have some really nonsensical ones, but hey, the person telling it is probably drunk. Plus, you could find really great ones. Also, you could walk away if you didn't want to hear it.
Well yes and no. Random as in made up just for the tavern? Na... You might have noticed that we have this great big legends mode full of stuff to be used in storys! Although the storys would be very cool.

2: Conmen. These guys would pretend to be quest givers and lead you on to a location where there is nothing but bandits waiting to jump you and steal your money. They could occasionally do cons on you, and give you fake medical stuff for your wounds.
Aww hell yea! Assuming there were real quest givers, and you couldn't tell between them.

3: Card games or word games. If card games are not possible, then word games at least. They have been around since the 1400s, at least! Again, can be avoided.
If toady can do this well within current architecure, that would be cool.

4: Bar songs. Occasionally, the bar will break out in song, and if you have a bit of musicality you can get money from your singing! Ideas for particular songs: Here!
Sounds like good flavor.

5: This is a place where you can find the Mysterious Stranger. He should look similar to any evil/death god who has a human/elf/dwarf form. He could offer you a very special item (Adamantium heart that makes you able to survive without a heart, anyone?) that has one price: Your soul. If you take him up on the offer, he takes your soul. This doesn't affect the gameplay much apart from the animals hating you more then usual, not being able to stand in a church without dying and being at the whim of a death god. Sometimes, he will come back for favors. If you refuse him, he kills you.
Umm, sounds like this could be done much better with some arc that relates to how gods affect the world.

6: Drunkards, essentially new versions of drunks, often hang out here. In fact, they practically live here. Hell, they actually live here. You can buy them a drink and they will automatically join you. They are quite useful for charges, but will never follow your orders or even care what is going on.
 :D

7: Informants, shady characters who know about the layout of the nearest noble's house, and you will know too if you give them 40 sliver coins quick. Useful if you want to play the thief for a bit.
Ok, sounds good! I mean breaking into castles is all over the powergoals, and this will add to the expirience, although a few 'misinformants' that give you flase information would be fun too.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:15:23 am »

well some additions from me if i am allowed to constribute:

- Wenches/ Waitress -> mostly your stock fantasy fanservice but a great source of information on the various regulars and more town related gossip and secrets (realtionships between people for example like the mayor being on a bad foot with the ap of the guard, the priest having more "private meetings" with the male part of the flock then he should have etc.) sprinkled with some more secret stuff she might have heard of.

- Militarys -> from the guy that likes to make you drunk so he can enlist you for mil service to actual squads having taking off-time. Prone to bar-brawls.

- trader and travelers -> the more chatty kind could give you a tip or two about good trades and may leave a hint about a very good smith at some distant town or another.

- the odd folk -> ranging from the civil minded mannered"demon" with a knack for philosophic discussions over a band of of elves that realy like booze down to animal-man staying for the night after selling some furs the other day.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:35:18 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:36 am »

Wow, I never expected this to be so well received! Great! I am bit annoyed with myself for not including what brawls would be like, but what the hay.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:29:12 am »

You might want to look at what has gone into The Stranger and The Dwarven Kingdoms threads, as there is some overlap, here.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:52:26 am »

Also, randomly generated drinks. Drink mixing would have to be added though...

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:06:06 pm »

You're forgetting that souls in dwarf fortress contain all your mental attributes. Fun times.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily restrict this to 'evil' gods. Similarly, I wouldn't restrict the costs or risks involved to souls and death.

Imagine a god of greed demanding that you 'acquire' all the copper coins in a civilization in exchange for a club that turns anything it hits into a *gold statue*.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 12:12:22 pm »

You might want to look at what has gone into The Stranger and The Dwarven Kingdoms threads, as there is some overlap, here.

Alright, I'll check them out.

Also, randomly generated drinks. Drink mixing would have to be added though...

Hmm... You could end up with the most acidic, terrible tasting, incredibly poisonous drink known to man. Dwarves will love it!

You're forgetting that souls in dwarf fortress contain all your mental attributes. Fun times.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily restrict this to 'evil' gods. Similarly, I wouldn't restrict the costs or risks involved to souls and death.

Imagine a god of greed demanding that you 'acquire' all the copper coins in a civilization in exchange for a club that turns anything it hits into a *gold statue*.

I was thinking more of deals with the devil, but yeah. Could work.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:38:21 pm »

on Mysterious Stranger, what about mob offers and the like
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 02:18:51 pm »

on Mysterious Stranger, what about mob offers and the like

That could lead to something interesting. I like. Could be to rob a specific house or kill a rival bandit.