Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Your Earliest Dwarf Fortress Memories  (Read 10582 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Earliest Dwarf Fortress Memories
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2011, 02:04:59 pm »

<snipped some>
I was trying to figure out how anyone could do anything with jeweling, as there were always so few gems lying around - You'd never get any dwarf up to legendary! (a problem I still grapple with, actually. Can't rely on moods forever!)

I lost a few forts to starvation due to troubles getting farming working, lost one to a tantrum spiral (the only one I've ever lost to that), then abandoned the rest, eventually. I never, ever reached the adamantine (again, something that I've never actually gotten around to doing - always feel the need to make my army or industry or fortifications *perfect*. Never get to that last step of making it happen.)
<snipped more>

Sorry had to comment.  You might already know this but I know how easy it is to miss something fairly simple even if you have been playing a long time.  Glass is really handy for training jewelers.  Just the garden variety green glass.  Cut it, then put it on everything, LOL.

I also have never once mined adamantine - I typically play fairly small embarks on cavern-less small region worlds.  I rarely go more than 5 years from embark, and rarely have more than 50 dwarves.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2011, 08:47:56 pm »

I started a little over a year ago, but with TinyPirate's utter newbie guide. I went from that into 2010. First memory of my own fort was staring at the embark screen trying to figure out how anything did anything. 10 minutes later, starved to death. My first fort was something akin to a campfire next to a hill. 5 goblins mopped the floor with me.

My first real fort ended in a tantrum spiral. I believe it was a Jewelcrafter... went crazy from some mood thing, I dunno I'll deal with it later. Oh, now he's naked and running around the dining room slapping people. And his friend the woodcutter took it personally... oh god... is that blood? ....... Okay a woman just gave birth and immediately punched a donkey in the face... slammed her baby into a wall....... O_o  I guess those two guys with no arms or legs are from the woodcutter... yep...

That's what hooked me, my first tantrum spiral.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GHudston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2011, 09:22:23 am »

I got into DF shortly before the release of DF2010 and two memories stick out about my first afternoon with the game:

My first fortress went reasonably well until I ran out of booze. "No big deal, I'll just make some more!" I thought. I then realized that I also had no food left. Bugger.

Then, to punctuate my despair, winter came and all the lakes froze over.

That fortress ended with a single, naked dwarf aimlessly running around on a frozen lake until he died. It was at that moment that I fell in love with the game.

So I started another fortress, this time next to a volcano. I had managed to survive a full year, trade some goods and continue producing a steady stream of booze and food. I had even managed to survive an imp attack with only a few losses (the poor dwarf who first found the imp and the two dwarfs who wanted his socks).

It was time to begin metal production for the first time! I had channeled into the volcano to create a series of magma canals under my fortress and had created a pool under the room that would house the magma forge. Once everything was set up, I decided that it needed to be decorated. How could I not? I had bent the magma to my will for the first time and I was over the moon. I wanted to surround the forge with some grating so that the forge would be surrounded by a(n entirely imaginary) glow.

It was then that I figured out that grates don't support ground tiles and my only anvil plummeted into the pool below.

Suddenly, goblins!

When dwarf fortress does !!FUN!! it does it all at once.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]