Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [33d+] World Terrain Visualizer  (Read 14151 times)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: [33d+] World Terrain Visualizer
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 04:24:33 am »

bookmarking
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 10:54:23 am »

This looks amazingly promising. Combine this with the import heightmaps tool, and you could make a pretty awesome world visualizer, entire through DF's world generator.

VERY cool.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 06:38:16 am »

Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark +others.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

Nice.  BTW, if you export ignoring water level you won't get rivers that cause huge canyons.

julianig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 06:28:01 pm »

Sorry! I'm posting in this really old thread but I only found it recently thanks to the DF wiki.
And I thought that this thread was lacking some images of what can be done with Terrain Viewer (or maybe there were images, but the links are dead now...).

Anyway, I'd like to thanks Draco18s.
Thanks to him, I lost many hours playing with DF worldgen and Terrain Viewer... :p

And while I'm here, I'll post some screenshots of what I've been able to do so far.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 12:38:14 am »

Nice stuff, good to see this thread come back to life. :)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 09:58:45 pm »

This is pretty freakin awesome!

On the volcanism map, how did you color it red? Is there some technique for replacing the default black map with red?

Also how do you turn off the sky dome?

I think I might spend more time playing with worldgen now than the actual game.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 12:49:46 am »

On the volcanism map, how did you color it red? Is there some technique for replacing the default black map with red?

PhotoShop or GIMP.  You want to colorize the image such that black becomes red.  Or white, depending on which one is what volcanism level.

julianig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 03:59:00 am »

PhotoShop or GIMP.  You want to colorize the image such that black becomes red.  Or white, depending on which one is what volcanism level.

I use GIMP.
In order to colorize the image in red, I use the black image as a layer mask on two layers. One is bright red (volcanism=100) and the other is dark red (volcanisme between 90 and 100).
I modify each layer mask with the tool "colors/threshold" to have only pure white (let the red pass) & black (no color is allowed to pass).
In the end, here's what I have in the layers windows: link

For temperature, I use 6 layers (freezing, cold, temperate, warm, hot and scorching). :p

Edit:
And to remove the sky, it's just a litte modification in the maps.xml file.
Here's one of the entry in the file I use:
Code: [Select]
   <map name="Dwarf Fortress (map)">
      <terrain demfile="maps\DFRegionHeight.png" texturefile="maps\DFRegionMap.png" altscale="0.15" />
   </map>
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:00:59 am by julianig »

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 06:33:05 am »

Terrian gradient similar to the one the Terrain Visualizer uses (Geo and Geo_Water), but made to conform to DF's height differences.  I haven't tested it with a bunch of maps, but the waterline is accurate and the "tree line" occurs about where DF starts displaying mountain tiles.  One of the problems with the provided gradient is that the middle of the gradient is the waterline and it shows up only at the extreme lows (RGB (0,0,0) ) on DF's heightmaps.

This is great for not needing to export a second texture file, but still being able to view the general features.

Terrain Gradient

Does anyone still have a copy of this "Terrain Gradient" PNG file? The link is broken, which is shame since it sounds like it helps out this TerrainVisualizer 3D method immensely:
It's that image that really brings out the intricate details put into DF's world gen. It's simply amazing.
[sigh] Why do all the good sites and files disappear before I find them?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 11:54:01 am »

*Awakens from his endless slumber.*

Oh, I deleted that off the server?  Whoops.  Should still have it around, lessee...

Hmm.  Its not with Dwarf Fortress, nor in my pictures; where did I install that program?  Hmm.

Well, I've told my old laptop to search for the file by name.  Will take a while.  If it doesn't find it (and no one else has it) I should be able to re-make it.

Edit:
Can't find the file.  Found a thumbnail version of it that Windows made, but not the original.  Searching for TerrainViewer to see if I even still have it.  Installed it on my new machine, but was unable to get it to play nice with the images exported by the current DF (it didn't like the blues of the oceans and didn't correctly apply the texture to the surface).
Uploaded a blown up version of the thumbnail to the old URL.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:55:29 pm by Draco18s »
Pages: 1 [2]