Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: The DF Map Archive  (Read 78241 times)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF Map Archive
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

Another suggestion, how about an easy way to copy POIs from previous versions of a map to newer ones?

So my lovely statue garden will still be a POI when I upload a version of my map the next year.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2007, 09:53:00 am »

Update!

2007-06-18

• Merged the Add Comment and Add Point of Interest forms into one, with an option selection
  • Title field is disabled until you select 'Point of Interest' as comments do not have titles
  • Two-hundred-and-thirty maps have been added. Cool?
  • TODO: Add sign up/registration page, would allow members to edit/delete entries
    (Added a Browse Comments page last week if you hadn't noticed)

Visit the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive - http://mkv25.net/dfma/

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2007, 10:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>Another suggestion, how about an easy way to copy POIs from previous versions of a map to newer ones?

So my lovely statue garden will still be a POI when I upload a version of my map the next year.</STRONG>

Very good suggestion. I have considered this before, but I haven't yet decided on the best and simplest way to implement this.

I'm thinking that the best way is to have a button/links titled 'Share PoI with future maps'...

... this would make a PoI available across any future maps from the moment of time that it was created. The shared PoI would then be displayed across multiple maps of the same name and ascending year numbers.

This assumes that once a Point of Interest is created and 'shared', it never dissapears from future maps. There may be the situation where a PoI is created and shared for say 'A farm', but then the farm is moved/abandonned, inwhich case the shared PoI would be out of date. An issue, but not a major one.

From a technical side of things, I think I would make this work by creating a new table to store references to 'shared PoIs'. This would simply be a relational table referencing the original PoI ID (poiid) and its Map ID (mapid).

When selecting PoI's for a map, the query would then take into account additional PoIs that in the Shared PoI table, for PoIs that have the same fortress name and a fortress year <= the current map.

This brings up another issue with the 'Fortress Year' which is a bit messy at the moment and needs revising. I might limit it to a 4 digit number, and add an additional field 'Season', which will either range from 'Spring', 'Summer', 'Autumn', 'Winter' OR to 'Mid-Spring' to 'Late-Winter'.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2007, 07:31:00 am »

Some discussion about future developments to the DF Map Archive on the wiki.

See: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/User_talk:Markavian/DFMapArchive

• Voting / Favourites Feature
  • User Accounts

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

well the map viewing website worked fine till today, now i can't see any maps, not even a box where they should be, just the comment box and any comments made to the map.

well it seems to only have this issue in firefox. and i can't play any flash.. so never mind >.<

[ June 22, 2007: Message edited by: nicholasneko ]

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

nicholasneko, sounds like your Flash plugin isn't working. Have you disabled it? Has it been uninstalled? Does it work in a different browser?

Try visiting http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer/  - install flash, then try again.

Its been working fine for me in FireFox, so I don't think anything is wrong with the server code (which was tweaked a few days ago).

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

tryed that, eventually just removed firefox completely and all its subfolders, works fine now ^.^

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

had a slight problem with the compressor, apparantly it doesnt like the custom tileset im using (think its Eiba's but cant be sure) and has put large black bands across the map...

Scarredletters

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

Check your original map bmp. There's a glitch in DF's bmp-writing algorithm that causes it to sometimes write out bmps with those black vertical bars. (This has been reported before, and when I asked the person to turn their bmp into a png and upload it so I could try to find the problem, they said "Oh wait, it's in the bmp too...")

(But if the black bars aren't in the bmp, then yes, it would be the fault of the compressor, and if so I would like you to convert the bmp into a png using an image editing program, and then upload the png somewhere and link to it (after making sure whereever you uploaded it didn't resize it) so I can do tests with it.)

Assuming that the bands are in the bmp too, meaning it isn't the compressor's fault:

If DF isn't destroying any image data (and it doesn't look like it is), then in theory I could make the map compressor try to look for this kind of thing and strip out the black bands. But right now, I don't know whether the black bands are always the same size in pixels, or in tiles, or whether DF always adds the bands if the map is a certain width in tiles, or if the tile size is a certain value, and so on.

From looking at that map, it looks like your tiles are 10x16, the valid area between black bands is 800 pixels wide (or 80 tiles), and the black bands are 320 pixels wide (or 32 tiles). (I only measured one section each, and I'm assuming that the width doesn't vary)

I have a couple questions:

1. Do all your bmps from that fort have banding? (and how many bmps from that fort do you have, from different years)
2. Do you have multiple forts, and if so, do all your fort bmps have banding?
3. Did you make those bmps from windowed or fullscreen mode?
4. If you have more than one bmp with banding, could you check the width of one of the valid areas and the width of one of the black bands, in each image, to see if they are always 800 pixels and 320 pixels for you?

If anyone else has a bmp written by DF with black bands in it, can you report what your tile size was, what the width of the valid areas and of the black bands were for you, and whether you exported the images from windowed or fullscreen?

(As a side note, the map compressor already checks for and works around one or two other oddities in map bmps written by DF, one of which is that DF sometimes writes map bmps whose width is not a multiple of the tile width)

[ June 22, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2007, 04:06:00 am »

Regarding the "banding", check out Gasolruvad 1054 compared to Gasolruvad 1055
Both use the same tileset and font, both on the same fortress, but 1054 has minor "banding" (a few small bands), while 1055 does not.
My guess would be that it has something to do with the amount of tiles in width that the game tries to save, because the .bmp is only as wide as how much you have revealed from the mountain, and that is also one of the few differences between the maps.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

RE: Banding, there are other maps that suffer coloured noise corruption instead of missing tile banding. Because both are down to an export issue from DF, we can only hope that Toady fixes it somehow on the next release.

Map Archive Updates - USER LOGINS
2007-06-30

• User Registration / Login system added
  • Signing up means you can reserve your username, and makes posting maps and comments easier
  • Map descriptions can now be edited
  • Community page, your maps, user profile page accessible
  • TODO: Allow registered users to edit / remove comments and points of interest
  • TODO: Add 'Favourites' system, allowing users to record their favourite maps and for visitors to see the most popular maps

2007-08-02

• Map submissions can now be deleted. Go to the Edit Map screen, then click the 'Delete Map' button; a confirmation dialog will appear if you have JavaScript enabled
  • Deleting a map entry leaves the map file (.fdf-map) on the server, which I will clean up at a later date

[ July 01, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2007, 04:36:00 am »

Pretty cool, I registered yesterday.

Though I doubt you added some features in the future   :eek: perhaps you meant 2007-07-02

But what do I know?

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

no slartibartfast, the new addition that he added then is a time machine to take him back exactly one month so that he could post that comment...

just he didnt write that there as it is top secret and only usable by admins of that site..

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

I like top secrets. Tell us more!
 :cool:

[ July 03, 2007: Message edited by: Faces of Mu ]

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>Pretty cool, I registered yesterday.

Though I doubt you added some features in the future    ;)
I'm just trying to wake myself up to program in the edit features for PoIs and comments.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14