Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: The DF Map Archive  (Read 78233 times)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF Map Archive
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2007, 03:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Markavian:
<STRONG>I'm just trying to wake myself up to program in the edit features for PoIs and comments.</STRONG>

I heard coffee helps most people with this sort of thing.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2007, 06:45:00 am »

For some reason or other it didn't want to send the email to my ISP's account, because it has a . in it?

xxxx.xxx@yyyy.com

(It ACCEPTS it but doesn't send the email, while when I used a 'normal' hotmail one it got sent instantly)

Nice idea and great site though  :)

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Haedrian:
<STRONG>For some reason or other it didn't want to send the email to my ISP's account, because it has a . in it?

xxxx.xxx@yyyy.com

(It ACCEPTS it but doesn't send the email, while when I used a 'normal' hotmail one it got sent instantly)

Nice idea and great site though    :)</STRONG>

Do you get an error when you use your ISP's email, or do you just not receive an email, because there's no reason why it shouldn't send. Looking at the current list of users, there are several other's with "."'s in their email addresses who have registered and confirmed their account without issue.

Its more likely that @maltanet.net is blocking the email as spam or some such. I only request an email address to confirm your account, and make clear that you are non a spambot - which I can confirm from this discussion ^_^.

Regards,
- Markavian

[ July 21, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

Its news time!

2007-07-22

• Added Edit / Remove points of interest page
  • Registered users can now edit and remove their points of interest
  • Changed randomised quotes; they are different now
  • Updated Todo List and Future of the Map Archive sections

2007-07-20

• Added Edit / Remove comments page
  • Registered users can now edit and remove their comments
  • Fixed inncorrect listing of Recent Authors on Recent Activity page

Read previous entries

If you want more "top secret" details about whats up next, then read down to the Future of the Map Archive section on the news/development page.

ReWolf31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »

Markavian: howbout a 'favourites' system, where you're emailed when another map is added to a series? That would be cool for watching promising fortresses evolve... heheheh....
B@.~~~

And so Alor, a wrestler of renown, found himself between a great boar and the wide river.  For six days they struggled, and as the sun descended behind the hills on the evening of the seventh day, Alor finally collapsed in exhaustion.  The boar s

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

or perhaps a "ratings" system where you can vote 0-5 stars or something, for categories like Size, and Architecture, Efficiency, Decorations, and such?

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

There are definitely plans in place for a favourite's system.
I wanted to do something dead simple, e.g. "Give it a star".

Then a message by each map would say "This map has been favourited 12 times". (for example).

rewolf31, if you really want, I could add a 'watch this map series' function that sends updates each time a new map is added. Like you suggest, this would be tied loosly into the favourites system. I'm not sure it'd get much use though (hence is it worth the effort?).

puke, I want to keep away from 1-5 ratings if possible. I really don't want to discourage new players from uploading their maps. If its just a simple 1 star favourites system, at least you (the visitor) can keep track of your favourite maps, and new visitors to the site can see popular maps, without implying/making anyone feel like they posted a 'bad' map.

At the moment I'm writing a "browse points of interest" page, similar to browse maps and browse comments.

Next I'll be reworking the map year numbering system, simplifying year to a four digit number and adding an extra field for "season".
This will allow / lead onto points of interest sharing across multiple fortresses in the same series.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2007, 05:27:00 am »

Update:

2007-07-26

Points of interest:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/

(Corrected Green Glass road PoI)

[ July 28, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nicholasneko:
<STRONG>tryed that, eventually just removed firefox completely and all its subfolders, works fine now ^.^</STRONG>

You're not actually using Internet Explorer, are you? *gasp*

quote:
Originally posted by Markavian:
<STRONG>Update:

2007-07-26

Points of interest:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/</STRONG>

Woohoo! My infamous bad map has made it onto the forums! Woohoo!  :)

I've actually lost the original world data, but it was created while running MIRC in the background and browsing the web. I seem to get the BMP error (lines or gaps) when I run external programs while creating my worlds. I'm fairly positive it's just a BMP writing glitch. Toady, perhaps you can look into this? As soon as I leave DF in the foreground and don't touch anything else, it makes a good map and writes a BMP with no lines, perfectly, every time. As soon as I multi-task, that's when the BMP's get all out of whack.

[ July 26, 2007: Message edited by: schm0 ]

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by schm0:
<STRONG>...I'm fairly positive it's just a BMP writing glitch. Toady, perhaps you can look into this? As soon as I leave DF in the foreground and don't touch anything else, it makes a good map and writes a BMP with no lines, perfectly, every time. As soon as I multi-task, that's when the BMP's get all out of whack.[ July 26, 2007: Message edited by: schm0 ]</STRONG>

Toady has already tweaked the BMP writing code to stop this sort of thing from happening, so no worries! He's been on the case already!

2007-07-28 - Map Archive News
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The map archive will be going through some structural changes in the following weeks that will affect the numbering of fortress years. The field for year will be changed so it only accepts integer characters, in the format ####, e.g. 1054. A new, separate field will be added for season (Early Spring, Mid Spring - Late Winter). If you have uploaded a fortress map more frequently then twice a year, the order of your map listing may change. You may need to edit your map information after the change. This change is being introduced to allow new features of the system to be developed.

I've added some count statistics to the Recent Activity page. I may add some graphs at a later time.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

If I try to do anything involving the comment box on this map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_mapid=511

then I get this error:
Could not find specified item! Please check the mapid (Received: 0).

Halp?

insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Xgamer4:
<STRONG>If I try to do anything involving the comment box... then I get this error:
Could not find specified item! Please check the mapid (Received: 0).</STRONG>

Hi Xgamer4, this is fixed now, you caught a bug midway through me updating the system. Sorry that you had to be exposed to that grueling error, but it does work now!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The old map field "Fortress Year" has been superceded by "Map Year" and "Map Season". This change has been made to give a more consistant numbering and ordering to each map series. This tweak paves the way for new features in the system, including shared Points of Interest and Map Histories. The old information stored in the "Fortress Year" field should still be available if you view the map, but you will not be able to edit or post to this field from now on. Posted 2007-07-31

News!
2007-07-31

• Changed IMPORTANT INFORMATION regarding change to map database schema on top of index page
  • Added new fields "Map Year" and "Map Season" to map database schema
  • Tweaked many, but possibly not all, pages that used Fortress Year but should now use Map Year and Map Season

Visit the DF Map Archive today - http://mkv25.net/dfma/

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2007, 08:33:00 pm »

2007-08-16
  • Added Points of Interest (PoI) Sharing
  • PoIs now have an optional Start Year / Season and End Year / Season that lets them cross multiple maps in the same series
  • PoIs are now sorted by title (alphabetically) as apposed to by submission date
  • Hid away the Add Comment and Add Point of Interest forms using JavaScript
  • Non-JavaScript users will now find the Add Comment form on a separate page
  • Note: The Points of Interest form requires JavaScript in order to talk to the Flash based map object, and is disabled/hidden from non JavaScript users
  • Added URL Rewriting regex to Apache, cleaned up some of the URLs
    e.g. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-504-ashencrafted  is now a valid URL
    This means Wiki friendly URLs, and smaller forum/char links
    You can also use: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-504
    and http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-805
    as valid shortforms to access Maps and Points of Interest respectively

• Thanks to Vaevictus from the #bay12games channel on WorldIRC for helping me figure out and debug the SQL for Shared PoIs
  • Bug: Captcha image form does not work if cookies are disabled, preventing users from submitting maps or comments (Thanks to Jifodus for spotting this)

Recent points of interest:

[ August 15, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

I think I found a bug. I went to submit a comment to a map and the "Your Name" box was filled in with the map submitter's username. Not a huge problem, just seems... odd.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2007, 04:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>I think I found a bug. I went to submit a comment to a map and the "Your Name" box was filled in with the map submitter's username.</STRONG>

Hey Gaulgath, I've uploaded a patch that might fix the problem... but which page did you see the problem on? If it is still happening, please send me the page URL. Is it before or after you submit your comment that it is filled out?

I knew there were going to be a few bugs lying around... this last batch of code has been a bit thrown together.

Kind regards,
- Markavian

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14