Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: The DF Map Archive  (Read 78005 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF Map Archive
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

Copperblazes IS the Dwarven Capital.  It is the most awesome thing I've ever seen, and I can only imagine what you'll come up with in the new version with the Z-Axis.

Yonder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

His plan is to make a giant smooth cube, (detailed on the outside to smooth it) with a 1 wide entrance at the bottom. The entire rest of the mountain will be gone, mined away so that the cube stands alone.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 11:57:00 am »

There is a way to get around people stuck on the magma forge without the teleport thing. Station another active military dwarf on top of whoever is stuck (they can walk onto that spot), and keep moving them on and off. Eventually (usually immediately) the other dwarf will move out of the way of the military dwarf and off the forge onto the ground.

flap3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 10:02:00 am »

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 05:44:00 am »

Thanks flap3, good thinking. I just updated the entry to make it a tad clearer. Lots of submissions so far, thanks to everyone - its great finding out how different people design their fortress in all sorts of interesting ways.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »

To shadowlord, a suggestion for DF Map Compressor :
That might be interesting if we could add bookmarks on the map, with a bit comment associated to each.

By pressing F1 to F... (or 1 to 9), the user could navigate from one bookmark to the other. And a little bit of text would be displayed at the bottom. So it would be easier to show the interesting spot, and link comment to it.

Any comment ?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

that would be cool.  certainly cooler than just editing text onto the map its self.

of course, i hate to volunteer other people for work.  unless its Herrbdog.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »

Hey! That sounds like what I just heard here! (I am at work.) Of course, this isn't volunteer, I get paid, sorta.

Volunteer me to reprogram it? Sure, I can squeeze it in, on the 38th of Februtober! =D

Boss is gone for the day, working on 16x16 now! (almost done! of course, is art ever done?)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 02:38:00 am »

:D

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by flap:
<STRONG>To shadowlord, a suggestion for DF Map Compressor :
That might be interesting if we could add bookmarks on the map, with a bit comment associated to each.

By pressing F1 to F... (or 1 to 9), the user could navigate from one bookmark to the other. And a little bit of text would be displayed at the bottom. So it would be easier to show the interesting spot, and link comment to it.

Any comment ?</STRONG>

Map Archive Update:
I've come up with the next best thing. I definitely took your suggestions to heart because its a great way to improve maps as a resource and implemented a "Points of Interest" system (couldn't think of a better name)... that lets you do something very similar to the above.

Speaking to SL, adding map zoom points to his compressor wouldn't really be easy since its more of an encoded and less of a viewer.

However, take for example: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_poiid=5

Look to the left hand side, "Points of Interest" - I've added a list of places around the fortress you can visit at the click of a button - complete with descriptions.

And you can add your own, to anyone's map. Be kind, be constructive, or just be funny - try it out.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »

2008-05-20
  • Added a "Points of Interest" system. Listed in the left hand panel, click on each title to view a description and zoom to a place on the map.
  • Add your own Points of Interest to your own maps, or other peoples. Find a place on a map, scroll down on the "View map" page and fill out the form at the bottom.
  • Fixed the default start location (Just offcentre of the fortress entrance) - although this is messed up for World Maps. (no reliable way of telling them apart)
  • Improved zoom, now possible to get in closer then the 1:1 (default) zoom level
  • A go to x, y panel now exists under the map - that shows the current location / offset and zoom
  • A drop down menu to manually set the zoom level
  • Show/hide buttons to display the Flash based debug panel. Can be used to check loading times.

DF Map Archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/

[ May 20, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »

Veeery niiice.  :D
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

More examples of the point of interest system: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_poiid=36  << Main Entrance of Budhames

Thanks to everyone who's submitted a map so far and helped test that it all works. Hopefully the site will continue to grow as a resource for people to reference from, and a maybe learn a few tips and tricks from other players.

Edit: There have been 73 maps uploaded and 36 points of interest (ok, most from me) added so far!

If you've not seen already, two very cool maps:
Sigunlokum - 1065 by puke - http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_mapid=61
Copperblazes - 1065 by Veryinky - http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_mapid=13

[ May 21, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

Is there any way to edit maps you've posted? I screwed up the year on my latest one.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 08:17:00 am »

Zhentar - I'm a fraid not - you'll have to tell me which map you've messed up and I'll remove it for you. Since I've got your name I'll scout the system and try and figure out which one...
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?author=Zhentar  
^ One of the steelfields maps? Please give me the Map ID if you can.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14