Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: The DF Map Archive  (Read 78014 times)

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
Re: The DF Map Archive
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 08:20:00 am »

Updated the Map Archive

There are now over 100 maps uploaded by DF players! And what a great selection there is. I'm always seeking to improve the site, so any suggestions are welcome. I'm thinking a 'view random map' feature might be useful.

Now you can comment on maps, useful I'm sure.

2008-05-20

• Added a "Comments" system. Listed under the bottom of the map, with a form at the bottom. Recent comments can be found on the Recent Activity page
  • Changed: Points of Interest form now needs to be 'expanded' before you can use it (only available with JavaScript enabled)
  • Updated Recent Activity page with collapsed counters for multiple submissions
  • Changed: Moved points of Interest form to separate script

[ May 28, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Recent points of interest:

[ May 28, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Markavian:
<STRONG>Zhentar - I'm a fraid not - you'll have to tell me which map you've messed up and I'll remove it for you. Since I've got your name I'll scout the system and try and figure out which one...
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?author=Zhentar  
^ One of the steelfields maps? Please give me the Map ID if you can.</STRONG>

Map ID 100 should be 1054. Thanks.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2007, 10:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zhentar:
<STRONG>

Map ID 100 should be 1054. Thanks.</STRONG>

Zhentar, Your map has been updated!
Steelfields - 1054 by Zhentar - From an SA succession game. This is after turn three, by myself, Zhentar.

(I wish their was a preview function on this forum)

[ June 02, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2007, 10:25:00 am »

A weekend update, new functionality to the Browse Maps page.

2007-06-02

• Improved the "Browse Maps" page by adding a search field and search area form
  • Added additional sort by links, accessible by clicking on table headings. Clicking again reverse sorts
  • TODO: Create "Browse Points of Interest" and "Browse Comments" pages for respective entries
  • 130 maps have now been uploaded, thank you! (and only 22 of them are mine)

New points of Interest

Elshar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheekan.org
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2007, 01:30:00 am »

Cool. Just keeps getting better. You know, I was thinking maybe one good thing to add might be some kind of voting/ranking system for the maps or mapsets. Would be kind of cool to see at a glance which ones people really like.
arr!

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2007, 02:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Elshar:
<STRONG>Cool. Just keeps getting better. You know, I was thinking maybe one good thing to add might be some kind of voting/ranking system for the maps or mapsets. Would be kind of cool to see at a glance which ones people really like.</STRONG>

It would also suck for newbies who would be afraid to post simpler maps for fear of being rated as losers.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>

It would also suck for newbies who would be afraid to post simpler maps for fear of being rated as losers.</STRONG>

Yeup, that was my thinking as well. The simplest system would be to give a map a "Star" rating, but I'd have to restrict that per user (to stop vote spamming)... and that'd mean setting up user accounts and logging people in... And for a voting system, that's quite a bit of effort for little benefit.

Update

Now you can easily identify the latest comments posted on the system, which is quite important since it doesn't work like a 'forum' and its difficult to see what's new... (hence the somewhat convoluted Recent Activity page).

Keep up with your suggestions, if you have any problems, e.g. had trouble finding a map, or something you saw on their before, give me a shout; I'm always looking to improve the interface.

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Markavian:
<STRONG>

Zhentar, Your map has been updated!
Steelfields - 1054 by Zhentar - From an SA succession game. This is after turn three, by myself, Zhentar.

(I wish their was a preview function on this forum)

[ June 02, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]</STRONG>

Awesome, thanks.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

I've ported the (.fdf-map)-making part of the compressor to java, so hopefully just about everyone who can't use .NET 2.0 can now compress their DF map images to upload them to the map archive.

You can get the java version from the same place as the C# version: http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/dfmap-index.html

All in all, if you can use the C# version, it's better - There's no reason to use the java version unless you can't use the C# version (which means anyone on a Mac, on linux, on anything non-windows, or on a really old windows like windows 98).

The java version uses Swing to show a simple GUI, which means you can't run it without being able to run graphical java stuff in general.

P.S. I used the 1.5 JDK (meaning for java 5), which means that if you have a Mac, or if you don't have Java 6 (1.6) yet, you should still be able to use it (as long as you have java 5, at least).

Limitations in the java version: Can only read image files and write fdf-map files, can't show a preview of the map, doesn't try to guess your DF folder, always requires you to specify the tile size, uses more RAM (despite using the same amount of data in the same size buffers as the C# version), may take a little longer to compress than the C# version, and currently doesn't remember where you last had it compress an image or what the last tile size you specified was (but I may attempt to implement those last two things).

There's more information on the page for the compressor.

[ June 05, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

[ June 05, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

Great site! two requests:
1) make it so the height of the viewing window is adjustable or we have a couple choices in that.

2) make it a bit more efficient, if possible. it jerks badly half the time in opera when scrolling in any direction via any means x.x

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2007, 10:41:00 am »

A suggestion:

How about making it so both the Add Comments menu and the Add Point Of Interest menu are hidden by default. Or perhaps both visible by default.
If you'll look at the latest map I uploaded (which is interesting, as well as recommended for begginers since I tried to describe in detail with explanations most of the important and interesting areas) Gasolurvad you'll see the slew of comments I accidentally made trying to add points of interest.

EDIT: Also, it was said that you can use UBB code, but as you can see from this map, IMG doesn't work, or doesn't work as I use it over here, so perhaps some clarification as to how to use it would be nice (hopefuly that clarification will also be clearly visible in the map archive for future uploaders)

[ June 09, 2007: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2007, 08:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>A suggestion:

How about making it so both the Add Comments menu and the Add Point Of Interest menu are hidden by default. Or perhaps both visible by default.
...you'll see the slew of comments I accidentally made trying to add points of interest.
EDIT: Also, it was said that you can use UBB code, but as you can see from this map, IMG doesn't work, or doesn't work as I use it over here,

[ June 09, 2007: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]</STRONG>

Hi Slartibartfast,

RE: Comments / POI Form - I was thinking of 'merging' these two forms with a checkbox that differentiates between a 'comment' and a 'point of interest'. That way people could attach comments to viewable areas of the map.

RE: I've cleaned up the comments that were meant to be PoIs, sorry about the bad form design - even I've been caught out myself.

RE: BBCode - I've updated the BBCode function to account for your BBCode, so your images work now. Previous I was searching for the format: [img=someurl.gif]image label[/ img].
Now it picks up [img]someurl.gif[/ img] as well.

I will make a summary page of all the BBCode supported at somepoint, haven't got round to doing that yet.

Great map btw.
- Markavian

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2007, 08:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jaqie Fox:
<STRONG>Great site! two requests:
1) make it so the height of the viewing window is adjustable or we have a couple choices in that.

2) make it a bit more efficient, if possible. it jerks badly half the time in opera when scrolling in any direction via any means x.x</STRONG>

Hi Jaquie Fox,

RE 1) Adjustable - possible to do, but how? At the moment (if you've got javascript enabled) its designed to fill the vertical viewing area of your screen once you scroll down past the title + description. I presume you'd want to make it 'shorter' to fit the map + text on at the same time? Can you tell me more?

RE 2) About it jerking badly, can you give me your system specs, e.g. Process type/speed, amount of memory, operating system?

- I've not tried the map viewer in Opera but I believe it uses the same viewer plugin as Mozilla/Firefox (as apposed to the IE version). Anyhow, most lag is caused by one of two things 1) the rendering of the map from the downloaded map data, 2) a lack of memory causing page faults -  the maps when fully rendered can be as big as the original BMP.

If you have a fast processor and plenty of memory (2GHz, 512MB of memory) then the problem may lie with Opera's display of the Flash viewer, e.g. its memory management / memory allocation.

I make no excuse that the program may not be as efficient as it could be, but does create a large amount of image information from the data stored in the fdf-map files, and that process uses memory and processing power. I'm not sure there's much I can do to make it run more efficiently without knowing more about your system.

Thanks for visiting (all!), its great to hear from the users.

Regards,
- Markavian
http://mkv25.net/dfma/

[ June 10, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2007, 06:06:00 pm »

Athlon x2 3800+ (dual 2Ghz cores, 512KB L2 cache per core)
nVidia 4100 chipset [biostar 6100-M9] (includes an nvidia 6100 video card), I also tested it with onboard disabled and using a PCIe geforce 6600 256MB
1.5GB total PC3200 DDR RAM, 2x512MB and 2x256MB
Windows XP SP2 32 bit
Opera 9.21
Latest reference drivers for all hardware.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 09:30:00 am »

Note to self: Get Opera and test performance.

The viewer runs swimmingly on my work station, a 2.8GHz Pentium, with 512MB of memory, Windows 2000. It works fine on my Home PC a 1.6GHz Athlon, 768MB of memory, Windows XP, and on my laptop 2.0GHz Pentium 1GB of memory, also on Windows XP - using a combination of IE6/FF (and IE7 on my home PC).

Thanks for the info Jaqie, I'll look into it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14