Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infanticide  (Read 3340 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Infanticide
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:03:47 pm »

So, I'm in a 17 year fort, and most of my cool people have made artifacts already.  I have immigration off, so no new artifact people are popping up.  I do, however, have children!  Every year or two, a dwarven child is stricken by a mood, usually possessed into a craftdwarf-shop, which makes me go "Eh, the parents are happy enough" and let the little coffin stuffer go insane.  If berzerk, another kill for the commander.  However, sometimes melencholy, which means suicidal, right?  How do I prompt them towards the edge of my tower?  Designate it as a pit maybe?

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: Infanticide
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:37:10 pm »

This sounds like a job for masonry. Disable all labors except masonry on your most skilled mason(s), and start walling off a corridor directing the suicidal dwarf toward the cliff. Make sure any access to water/magma is removed. Most suicides head for water, but that may just be since not every fort has cliffs and/or magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »

I have a tower with an open roof, so there's very easy access to a steep face if they were so inclined, but as of yet none have taken it, or drowned.  They just starve.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:04:26 pm »

Maybe try the pit idea. I don't think there's been much research into dwarf suicide. If you don't use the crafting workshop regularly, you could build one right next to the cliff and deconstruct the rest to see if that helps the odds.

Gamer of Indie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:35:10 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!
Everyone knows dwarves pass knowledge through a mass collective, fueled by alcohol. Hence their inability to sustain themselves over long periods with water; they lose the dwarven empathic connection, and become singular and... sane. Which in turn drives them crazy!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:36:46 pm »

Admit it, if you knew how to reliably make dwarves jump it, you'd wanna know!

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:20:17 am »

Sigged

So, I'm in a 17 year fort, and most of my cool people have made artifacts already.  I have immigration off, so no new artifact people are popping up.  I do, however, have children!  Every year or two, a dwarven child is stricken by a mood, usually possessed into a craftdwarf-shop, which makes me go "Eh, the parents are happy enough" and let the little coffin stuffer go insane.  If berzerk, another kill for the commander.  However, sometimes melencholy, which means suicidal, right?  How do I prompt them towards the edge of my tower?  Designate it as a pit maybe?
Dwarf Fortress: Weeding out the mentally sane since 2006

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:25:06 am »

Build your craft shops on the roof of the tower.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!