Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Solo-dwarf Fort  (Read 5269 times)

Darkren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Solo-dwarf Fort
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:43:03 pm »

I want to make a fortress with a (dwarven) population of 1: No migrants, no strange moods, healing nerve damage (as to reduce the chance of losing said "fort" to a crippled dwarf). I've attempted to mod hack (using DFusion) my DF to change the embark to one dwarf, though to no avail. Reducing Population in the d_init file to 1 or even the default 7 still resulted in migrants multiple times, I don't particularly feel like going out of my way so much as once per year to kill off migrants and their pets.

Is there any way to mod the game to keep migrants (perhaps traders as well) from showing up?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solo-dwarf Fort
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:50:08 pm »

Nope, they're hard-coded.

Edit: Slight clarification: the first few waves are hard-coded.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:55:20 pm »

Remove your caravan and unset your dining room (if you set one). Designate a meeting area with [ i ] in a room your dwarf should avoid. Said room should be lockable, floodable and drainable (in that order). Everytime you get a new wave of migrants they will head straight to this room (as they path to a meeting area). Lock the door and issue your dwarf to pull a lever, this level should be hooked to flood gates from a water source. This will drown them all. Drain the room in time for the next migrant wave.

If you turn off migrants, you should only get 2-3 waves tops.

Darkren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »

the first few waves are hard-coded.
So after killing off those first few waves of migrants, I won't get bothered again?

If you turn off migrants, you should only get 2-3 waves tops.
By "turning off migrants", you mean setting population to 1, correct?

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:10:33 pm »

I'm not sure, there might be a wave to turn them off fullstop. I only know this through the forums though; people have reported that once the population cap is hit you seem to get a few more waves.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:30:32 pm »

if you generate a world in which the dwarves have died off, you can start a fort that will only get the first 2 waves of migrants, and no dwarf caravan.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:18:38 pm »

If you set max population to 1 then you will get no migrant waves after the first two (in Summer+Autumn)
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 10:33:58 pm »

If you are killing them, then make sure to bury them, or engrave memorial slabs.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Peaceful Slugman

• Bay Watcher
  • dont axe me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 10:57:33 pm »

this is a really good idea. I hope you tell us how your hermit dwarf is doing when you get his hermit fort underway.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 01:12:09 am »

I ended up with a lone dwarf a while ago, but that was due to skeletal elk.

They wiped out the other 6 starters and several waves of migrants (why they came, I have no idea) but it was a losing battle to secure all three entrances when Urick McSurvivor spent most of his time on hemmed on top of a mountain by said elk.

Interested in your experiences.  I found one dwarf somewhat limiting in entertainment value, and it took forever to do anything as he kept getting distracted.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:12:19 am »

this is a really good idea. I hope you tell us how your hermit dwarf is doing when you get his hermitage underway.
I agree! I want to take this challenge, but I really would like to read some experiences first. It seems very challenging.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Peaceful Slugman

• Bay Watcher
  • dont axe me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 02:30:45 am »

maybe your last survivor had a terrible personality with things like "prone to procrastination" and "doesn't care about what his overseer says." If I was doing the one dwarf challenge I would choose the guy with the best traits like "sense of duty" and cull the rest.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 04:07:48 am »

Remove your caravan and unset your dining room (if you set one). Designate a meeting area with [ i ] in a room your dwarf should avoid. Said room should be lockable, floodable and drainable (in that order). Everytime you get a new wave of migrants they will head straight to this room (as they path to a meeting area). Lock the door and issue your dwarf to pull a lever, this level should be hooked to flood gates from a water source. This will drown them all. Drain the room in time for the next migrant wave.

It's is significantly easier using a Dwarven Atom Smasher.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 06:03:58 am »

you should all read the hermit fortress story responsible for making the name urist so popular. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15572.0
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:57:14 am »

It's is significantly easier using a Dwarven Atom Smasher.

I just build a room, designate it as a meeting area, send my chosen dwarf on some task, and lock the door. All you need to build is a door.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: [1] 2