Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad Orders  (Read 1224 times)

raffiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Squad Orders
« on: February 14, 2011, 06:23:44 pm »

I recently returned to DF and have been familiarizing myself with 31.'s military systems. So far, I have been doing well, but I was wondering, is there a way to station specific dwarves in specific squares - ie. to create a line or square of soldiers on duty? ( I know about move orders and such, but they seem to be squad, not soldier, level)

Thanks for the help.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad Orders
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 06:31:26 pm »

Sadly, there is not. Though you could experiment with scheduling a squad to defend a 1 square wide burrow.

fervor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:37:34 pm »

I would definitely try fiddling with burrows.

I use it all the time when positioning my crossbow behind fortifications.  They line up nicely.

I wonder what would happen if you define a burrow as a bunch of 1x1 squares.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:57:00 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you hit "s" to bring up squad menu, then hit "P" to switch between squad and individual selection?  After that hitting the letter for a squad brings up a
list of squad members.  Select one be pressing his corresponding key or many by holding shift.  Then give him/them a command such as move.
Ancient Avatar

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »

I don't think defining a 1wide/6 long area, whatever would work. A hostile intruder has to enter the burrow assigned to defend, to activate the attack response. With station, they will rush out to attack any enemy up to a certain range, then return. I tried the 1 square wide defend burrow, next to some fortifications in a cavern. The baddys passing by just made rude gestures as the dwarfs ignored them.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:01:13 pm »

You'd be best to just station them behind some fortifications and use animals to detect intruders, or have them patrol a route. (I'm assuming that is what you want)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!