Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hunting bug that might actually not have been reported  (Read 40054 times)

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting bug that might actually not have been reported
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

My hunters got stuck hunting.

They're just standing around (I think it's where the animals they were hunting got killed), but other hunters got to those animals first, and they can't cancel the hunting job until they kill something.  Or get thirsty.  Evidently, dwarves think hunting should only be a solitary activity, never undertaken in groups, and are disappointed that they, personally, never got to deliver a killing strike.

I did a search for the bug, and while I know hunting is going to get revamped in the future, I wanted to make sure this bug gets pointed out.  It's not a crippling bug, nor is it likely to come up in many forts.  But it definitely is a bug, and when you look at hunting, see if you can fix this bug.

This should be easily repeatable.  Set a whole bunch of dwarves on 'hunt', and get a limited supply of animals.  Pretty soon, they'll kill off the last few animals, and you may easily get the same result.  Multiple dwarves hunting the last creature on the map.

I've heavily modded the civs of my game, and while I would be *extremely* surprised if that caused this bug, I unfortunately cannot upload my save without also uploading a freakton of .txt files, too.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
Re: Hunting bug that might actually not have been reported
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

there needs to be a "clear all commands" button.. O.o which would cause them to drop all held equipment and go to a default state doing nothing... for a second or two untill they find a new job
The New Moo!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

You can do that by activating them for the military and then deactivating them. It'll give them an unhappy thought if they have no military skills, but it'll also clear their current job.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

I don't understand the bug yet.  Is the problem that they continue to hunt after all the animals are dead, they stop hunting properly if somebody gets a kill before they do, or that they all hunt a final creature?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »

They continue to hunt after all the animals are dead.

I noticed this when they all hunted the final creature, and one of them killed it.  The rest kept hunting.  Since there wasn't anything to hunt, they just stood in the same spot with the job 'Hunt' for a long time.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Anjey aka PM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:12:00 am »

Hurray new spam message:

Blablabla cancels Hunt: No Creature

:-)

he greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the programmer rested. We''ve been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>You can do that by activating them for the military and then deactivating them. It'll give them an unhappy thought if they have no military skills, but it'll also clear their current job.</STRONG>

Thanks for that, didnt realize it was that easy. i've had so many dwarves blunder into mortal peril by their own stubborn volition.

Ahh, I  just ran into this bug actually. My damn starting woodcutter/carpenter/ambusher/animal trainer just disobeyed my order to stop hunting, and proceeded to be ripped to meaty chunks by a giant eagle. Tad irritating that. Now im going to have to turn my mechanic/BD/Trader into a carpenter and wood cutter as well. heh, at least he's branching out I s'pose.

GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

I think hunting is like fishing. Drafting and undrafting a dwarf will temporarily get them to stop, but to make them stop doing whatever until you want them to, you have to remove the job from their list.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »

Okay, I'll add the stuck hunters bug to the bug list.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slinkyfest:
<STRONG>

Thanks for that, didnt realize it was that easy. i've had so many dwarves blunder into mortal peril by their own stubborn volition.

Ahh, I  just ran into this bug actually. My damn starting woodcutter/carpenter/ambusher/animal trainer just disobeyed my order to stop hunting, and proceeded to be ripped to meaty chunks by a giant eagle. Tad irritating that. Now im going to have to turn my mechanic/BD/Trader into a carpenter and wood cutter as well. heh, at least he's branching out I s'pose.</STRONG>

Mayor: Urist McAnic, we need you to make some wooden buckets!
Urist: Why can't Zasit Mcarpenter do it?
Mayor: Because we need the buckets to carry him back here!

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 03:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Awayfarer:
<STRONG>

Mayor: Urist McAnic, we need you to make some wooden buckets!
Urist: Why can't Zasit Mcarpenter do it?
Mayor: Because we need the buckets to carry him back here!</STRONG>

Heh heh, Ironically the mayor is the mechanic now... Or is that supposed to be reversed? I didn't bother with burial, he chased the damn eagle clear across the map, he wasn't ever going to be found and I wasn't risking more loss of life.

GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

celestial_okami

• Bay Watcher
  • Strong and brave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

This just happened to me as well.  My hunters had chased a mountain goat into a dry murky pool with no exit so I left it there.  Eventually it gave birth to three M.g. kids so I decided to capture them with cage traps.  I mined up to the wall, build the traps, then mined out the separating tile.  Soon after they all walked into the traps my hunter shows up with the 'Hunt' job in his description and sits there for awhile before leaving.

I've also noticed a similar thing where if I station a squad of Military dwarves and then cancel the station before they get there (perhaps by taking them off duty or setting a different station) they still walk to the first one before turning around.  Maybe it has to do with jobs locations?  It makes more sense for the hunter to do this (he doesn't know the animals are captured) but less for the military.

DEEP CROW!  OH NOOOOO!  DEEP CROOOOOOW!

Merdoch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 01:34:48 pm »

Hey all.

So I'm having a bit of trouble with my hunter that I haven't managed to find an answer for. He was hunting fine a few worlds ago, but on the last 3 I cannot seem to get him hunting at all. I've made sure he is equipped with a quiver, bolts, and crossbow. He has the ambush and crossbow skills. There are mobs on the map that have been hunted before. I removed all other labors, including hauling. But when I go to assign hunting, it highlights that it is active for about 2 seconds and then becomes unhighlighted and he is listed as having no job, with no announcement that there is anything being canceled. I've even tried forcing it with dwarf therapist, but he does nothing.

The only thing I haven't tried is a reinstall. Any tips before I try that one?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:39:52 pm by Merdoch »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 12:14:58 am »

Wow, ancient necro. Really though, you should ask in the DF questions thread.

Merdoch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 08:05:41 am »

"ancient necro" meaning?
Pages: [1] 2