Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: =The Crafters Guild=  (Read 9173 times)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Re: =The Crafters Guild=
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 05:40:44 pm »

I have a bunch of tools I made for shaping the sculpey. I usually build up areas and then shape them (push pull pinch et cetera) rather than actually carving. Even lines are pushed in rather than carved.

Ahasver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 06:49:54 pm »

Okay, that sounds a bit more structurally considerate than my process of making Dan.

Speaking of carving, I did a bit of pioneering of that medium today. (This wasn't exactly what I planned for my spring break, but it's pretty fun)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
that was heavily inspired by the chess pieces (but made of Ivory™, not ivory). I only used the paper clip that is in the image, but I may go back to it with a thinner wire tool.

I learned the precious lesson of the importance of being careful when making cuts and also the importance of working in a well ventilated workspace (I'm afraid that I've developed a strong disliking of the smell of Ivory soap). I regret not trying to make the eyes pop out a bit more, but I'll attempt that another time. Another thing I want to work on is taking advantage of the 3d medium. The back side of the figure, while a little neater, is very plain. and I regret not adding a backpack or an extra sword. Feel free to critique.

...and since tomorrow is looking about as free as today, I'm considering trying my hand at a woodcut.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 02:47:08 am »

~ 2 inches tall. Not sure what he is, I started him with the idea of a Balrog in my mind. For scale, his head is supposed to be about the size of a dwarf (6-7mm).
This is so awesome I want one right now.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 02:51:47 am »

I resolve to post in this thread. Just have to finish something. I have a nasty habit of start projects and leaving them half complete.

Spreggo, it would be awesome to see a small (hahah) army of dwarves fighting that Balrog. I'd imagine the mold making process for figures that small is a bit annoying tho.

Ahasver, nice footsoldier. I actually think the somewhat blank back is fine in sculpting. 3d is as much a display medium as 2d, you can always just show the favorable angles only. Cheating is fun eh? :D
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 10:39:56 am »

Yep, whether or not you worry about the back depends on the application. With chess pieces though I'd imagine you'd want them easily recognizable from behind. In my case, I like to try and have structure and detail with aesthetic consideration on all sides, as you never know which way a mini will be positioned.

He is made of sculpey, but I recently received some green stuff so I'm going to be playing around with that today :) Hopefully it isn't too different than what I'm used to.

Daemoria: You can post WIPs and maybe we can critique or something like that to help you along???

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 12:47:33 pm »

You've got quite a collection going on there!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 04:44:04 pm »

Those are AWESOME, Spreggo!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 04:43:45 pm »

posting to follow

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 10:12:33 pm »

This is too beautiful.

I can't wait for summer, or at least more clement weather so I could get the good old forge blazing again.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 11:10:12 pm »

A 'savage' type goblin. I'll probably paint him up soon...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:13:21 pm by Spreggo »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 03:13:57 am »

Holy buckin' horse shit.

Man, if I could, I'd send you so much sculpey so you could make me an army of dwarves and humans and elves and stuff.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 03:21:41 am »

A 'savage' type goblin. I'll probably paint him up soon...
You should try getting a job at Games Workshop, because you've got serious skill. Or start your own company. But that's hard.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »

You should try getting a job at Games Workshop, because you've got serious skill. Or start your own company. But that's hard.

Heh I have a bit to go before I get there :) I did join up at Troll Forged which is a sculpting collective where you can submit minis to be cast for sale. Its a community thing so they help with critiques and whatnot along the way. I definitely recommend checking it out if anyone wants to get into mini sculpting, or just check out their store as the community produces a lot of quality work. They also sell the two part putty I'm using at a really good price.

Acanthus: I have more sculpey than I know what to do with! I appreciate the sentiment though :D

If I do any that make it into the TF store I'll post the results here !

Ahasver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 05:27:47 pm »

Wow Spreggo, nice stuff. I especially like the skeleton warrior. That's a very neat site, too. I'm sure you'll end up selling stuff in no time.

I got some Sculpey, but unfortunately only original was available, which from my understanding is a bit more doughy than Super Sculpey. Regardless, it is a lot better than the stuff I was using before. I've made a dwarven miner and a goblin thief. Neither are painted, both are approximately 33mm tall.

I was pretty satisfied with the dwarf but the goblin didn't really turn out how I expected it to. It apparently got its lean on in the oven, too. I think I'll make a few more creatures of this scale so I can build up some skill. I want to create more figures that could be used in a roleplaying module. Right now I'm sketching out a Blind Cave Ogre design.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 07:10:14 pm »

Ahasver: I agree that the dwarf is the better of the two, but they both have character. I've heard that if you make the head first what to do with the rest of the sculpture becomes apparent, as the character dictates it.

I think there is a firm version of fimo if you can get that. It is probably better than the plain sculpey. There are other alternatives too, like Milliput or Kneadatite.

In other news, I painted up that goblin:

He is about 22mm tall, I'm not sure where that puts him in scale to other companies goblins...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5