Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Your first Dwarven death!  (Read 1924 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Your first Dwarven death!
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:49:35 pm »

Or the earliest you can renember.

We all have lost hordes of the little stupid buggers, but what was the death to start them all. For example My first Dwarven death is from when I was expanding my magma tunnels to build some magma smelters which I had forgotten I could make (Seriously, I was using fuel to smelt things intill I found it). One of the dwarves got stuck in the lava path, and I didn't notice him in till I released the magma. He had a wife too, which wa born moments after.

The second as well for the lulz, I was starting a fort, and I got the bright idea to make a semi open cavern. However, I seemed to have slept during basic phisic's class. Cave in. One miner died, the other was mortally hurt.

Smells like Dwarf Fortress.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your first Dwarven death!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:46:32 pm »

I think it was either thirst since didn't have a still or a cave-in.

I didn't find magma until my ~6th fortress  :'(

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:05:03 pm »

Hmmm... My first casualty? Well, I am going to have to go with that miner who was encased in ice. (I was trying to breach an aquifer...)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:11:40 pm »

Second year of my first fort.  Hauler cut down by a goblin ambush while going out to gather chopped down wood.  Out beyond the range of my traps, and I didn't have a military. 

At least he distracted the goblins while the important people who had actual skills ran for cover.

I only had 7 casualties in that whole fort, though.  2 early on to ambushes, 2 to stupid cave-ins, 2 military deaths in sieges, and one Unfortunate Accident for my baroness's consort, just so she wouldn't spit out an absurd number of children.  That was in 8 years, with 150 dwarves.  A pretty darn safe fort, all-in-all.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 10:46:21 pm »

Mine was due to thirst, when i failed to realize the river i was depending on was 13 z levels above my head. I had through they could make it, but they were drinking from ponds nearby. 

Damn, i miss those multi level z cliffs...

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 10:56:29 pm »

My first was a miner who failed to run faster than the magma he had unleashed.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:38:39 am »

My first dwarven death was in 40d and it's an oldschool classic. I embarked on some nice flat land with a little stream and basically followed the wiki tutorial, trying to figure things out one at a time. I figured out digging, then farming. When migrants arrived, they appeared on the wrong side of the stream, so I think to myself well hey let's build a bridge! *search wiki* Architecture ON, Masonry ON, let's do this thing.

Mason goes over to the river's edge with a piece of stone. Then he disappears. What? thinks I. Did he fall in? Can they do that? The river suddenly runs red all the way down. Urist McMason has been struck down. What?

I figure out how to go down a z-level, and of course there I see it: Urist McMason's dismembered body in the river, surrounded by half a dozen carp.

There are also, naturally, a ton of murky pools on this map, past which the migrants have to walk once the bridge does finally get built. Murky pools crammed full of CARP. There's one right outside my entrance! Most of them never made it into my base.

*abandon, start over*
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 03:19:55 am »

The dorf I named after myself went insane.

In hindsight, I should've seen that coming.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:07:18 am »

I think my first dwarven death was a woodcutter who had to pass through a goblin ambush to get back in the fortress. I think the group he ran into was all crossbowmen too. Just wasnt his day...

*Edit* Also, I should add, this was back when bolts/arrows could pierce everything in the area they hit.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:25:13 am by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:39:02 am »

an axedorf who died due to a modded dragon (with steel scales)

...followed by other 50 dwarves died in the same way.

...and when one of my 30 surviving paesants killed him by cumulative damage on the toes, a FB shows up.

The game hates me

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:49:22 am »

I don't recall for sure, but I'm guessing dehydration.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 08:51:45 am »

A miner who got killed by the flood you used to get when you first breached the subterranean river.

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:09:36 am »

Mine was shortly after I built my first drawbridge. I figured I'd test it to see if I got it done correctly and so pulled the lever. Then some git decides to wander along the bridge in the delay between the pull and activation. He got crunched up by the pivot area I think.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:44:28 am »

The first I can remember happened when I was getting the hang of channeling.  I was digging down to flood a farm, about 15 minutes after embarking, and, well, I guess I didn't really understand the concept of ramps and digging holes at that point.  Poor guy fell a long way after he dug out a spot right below himself.  I didn't really know much about hospitals, then, so he died rather slowly with both legs broken and a number of other serious injuries.

I abandoned that one rather quickly.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 11:11:07 am »

He drowned while trying to make a farm.
Pages: [1] 2 3