Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your first Dwarven death!  (Read 1925 times)

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
Re: Your first Dwarven death!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 11:22:21 am »

Back in the old 2d days (Before Z-levels, when all you had was one level and a mountain). Died from dehydration the first time around, hunger the second. Actually it took about 7 forts before I figured out what I was doing!
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 12:49:18 pm »

Pump operator who fell in the river because I thought the water would go up a ramp.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 01:21:15 pm »

I was doing a tutorial fort, when my expedition leader got possessed. He just sat in his room and I was a little freaked out by this, so I made some one else the leader. He went berserk, killed a cat, and was put down by some other dwarf.

My second was during a gobo ambush. They where in the area where I was cutting wood. The dwarfs kept on running up to grab some wood and where immediately slaughtered. Thats how I learned about burrows.

imbrucy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »

I don't remember my actual first death (probably a wood cutter killed by gobbos), but the first notable one I remember was when I decided to dig a well about 5 z-levels deep by caving in the top level.  I dug out the area that should be the well then on the top z-level channeled around the edges.  I didn't channel the one tile connecting to the access hallway.  When the rest of the outside was channeled I marked the last access tile for channeling.  My legendary miner then walked across the tile and channeled it out behind him.  He survived the 5 story fall from the cave in but ended up dieing at the bottom of the well because no one could get to him.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 02:44:26 pm »

Some older version before the z-level. Just figured out how to mine around and everything is awesome until. . . CAVE INS!
Later I couldn't figure out how to farm so another fort went down in starvation.

Although the ones I remember the best is after the z-level was added and the dwarves channeling out the ground under each other and falling into rivers.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 03:09:00 pm »

Oh, the little dude is fishing! So cute!
... interrupted by Carp.

Dwa... dwarf chunk??
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 03:30:21 pm »

Woodcutter drowned. Why?

Oh look; there are pike in the pool with his body...
This is a blank sig.

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 03:35:50 pm »

Funny thread,

In my second fort, I send my woodcutter cut some trees near a natural waterfall. (Because I didn't want trees near it.) My woodcutter, for no reason, dodge a random animal and fall 4 z-lvl in the waterfall.

He drop is axe, and with brokens legs he try to retake it. Poor guy, dead in an infection few minutes later. (In is carpenter workshop, he didn't stop working.)

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 03:46:08 pm »

Crocodiles claimed my first victim. They ripped his arms off and the other dwarves ran into a hailstorm of blood, water, limbs, and socks.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 04:19:48 pm »

an idiot miner who did not try to escape up the ramp when the water came crashing in.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 04:37:52 pm »

The very first embark I ever did. Picked the professions of all my dwarfs and took a lot of good supplies with me. I embark, only to have 2 Crocodiles in a pond 3 spaces away from the wagon. No military dwarfs at all....Blood everywhere. I fell in love right away!

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 04:40:13 pm »

It was back in the days of way back in the days, i was starting my first fortress. I was searching desperately for an underground river, and as luck would have it i found one.
That is where the trouble started!
Not half a day after the miner struck the river, did a multitude of crocodiles pour out. (did i mention i dug upwards into the river?)
In great panic and stark raving confusion, i ordered the 1-tile hallway to the now-flooding strike-the-river chamber blocked by a wall, and not was the last stone laid before i realized the horrible truth:
Urist McMiner, fighter of crocodiles (i believe he killed 1 or 2), was stuck in the now-flooding hallway, never to be heard of again.
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 04:44:22 pm »

A very old gemcutter, who's head was torn off by a passing werewolf. He actually managed to inflict a red wound on the werewolf's upper body before dying.

Lesson: Do not try to start your first fortress on an evil tundra.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 05:33:20 pm »

A miner who got killed by the flood you used to get when you first breached the subterranean river.

That...or it might have been a cave-in, back when they were a real danger for real men dwarves,
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 12:38:32 am »

can't remember my first, but my most notable would be a couple forts ago when I thought, oh, maybe since my barracks is right next to the waterfall, I should open it up and let my soldiers train happily in the mist. a while later, one of my three military dwarves sudenly collided with an object. while sparring, one of the soldiers knocked another one some 10-20 Zlevels down the waterfall... at least he died happy before he hit the ground with such a force his legs and arms flew off of his body.

some ten minutes later, another one fell down the same hole and landed on the other's dead body.

then the last one, with no one at all to spar with decided he would jump as well. I'm not sure why...
What do you think? Yes? No?
Pages: 1 [2] 3