Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gaming Hardware  (Read 751 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gaming Hardware
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:05:01 pm »

There should be a thread for questions about gaming hardware. I have my own question, but feel free to ask your own questions in this thread.

I'm looking into buying a new laptop soon, and I've basically settled on a price range of around $700. I've found quite a few nice-looking laptops, but I'm kind of wondering if the integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics) is sufficient for gaming. I'm not a particularly hardcore gamer, so I'm not looking to run Crysis or something similar, but I want to know other people's impressions with running, say, Starcraft II or Civ 4/5 on Intel HD Graphics. I'm probably going to go with an i5 processor, but information regarding i3's performance is also appreciated.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Hardware
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:10:24 pm »

I'm kind of wondering if the integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics) is sufficient for gaming. I'm not a particularly hardcore gamer, so I'm not looking to run Crysis or something similar, but I want to know other people's impressions with running, say, Starcraft II or Civ 4/5 on Intel HD Graphics.

Well, it's not sufficient for capable of running Magicka or Shores of Hazeron, for instance. Starcraft II or Civ 4 or 5? Someone else will have to answer, but it's generally considered that Intel HD graphics are not sufficient for gaming at all, unless your idea of gaming is freecell or the like.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:15:09 pm »

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:24:01 pm »

EDIT: Ooooh wait a minute I get it. You mean to say that I should post my question over there. Okay then.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:44:47 pm by Normandy »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 12:17:27 am »

Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.