Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's the best first person dungeon crawl?  (Read 17903 times)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best first person dungeon crawl?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 12:09:52 am »

Daggerfall.

agree with you

only bad part is that sometimes you get a sort of deja vu while in dungeons.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 12:30:58 am »

I would go for Wizards and Warriors on the PC. Looks impressive, plays great, and the story is quite well done...
Here is a review for it, notes a couple of flaws, but other then that presses people to have a go.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/pc/wizards-warriors
I started to do a Lets Play but... Yeah.. I suck at sticking with LPs...

On the PS2 though there is one called Wizardry: Tales of a Forgotten Land.
A well written Review done in Gamefaqs.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/472311-wizardry-tale-of-the-forsaken-land/reviews/review-48814

Also he is right with the fact that it was hard to find, I grabbed it from my local video store when the PS2 was starting to die *bought if for 10$* and even then though the disc is damaged to a point where I need to give it a real good polish and some time to run through a few times cause it would stall at the battle screens occasionally (once or twice on the first battles of the load).
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 01:10:58 am »

Shadows of Yserbius
- party based first person dungeon crawl mmorpg from sierra's imagination network, circa 1995
- paperdoll avatars
- really great 90s-era-Sierra-art
- simple kinda crappy gameplay
- recently revived as part of the INN revival project

I played this and the sequel, Fates of Twinion, in single-player a while after the ImagiNation network went down.  They're pretty decent games, although I preferred FoT.  The puzzles in both were quite good.

However, the INN revival project seems to be dead.  I subscribed about a year ago and haven't heard a peep, so don't plan for online play again anytime soon.  EDIT: Scratch that, there's an installer and the server seems to be up, just not very lively.

KG
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:14:36 am by kg333 »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 07:13:15 am »

Heck, the very first Wizardry game was fun in its own way.  I prefer the NES version for its music.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 08:01:27 am »

Get a GBA, get Mazes of Fate. Great game, though not much freedom in the story. The mazes seem to be random, at least.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 08:34:36 am »

I enjoyed Etrian Odyssey.  It comes in sequel flavors too; Heroes of Lagaard and The Drowned City.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 09:22:12 am »

I'll probably get lynched for saying it but I quite liked the ultima underworld games.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 10:29:59 am »

While this doesn't fall under the 'Wizardry' style dungeon crawl:

I vote Ultima Underworld I and II.  They're just great games.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51:21 am »

For some reason in my brain it looked better than that ... it probably didn't though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 10:52:04 am »

Interesting, I had heard lots of bad things about the Ultima Underworlds. However, after seeing 2 posts supporting them, I will download and give em a try
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 02:30:14 pm »

Ultima Underworld I and II are great, but please just try to get the hang of the control scheme before you dismiss it for that. They hadn't figured out that WASD + Mouse is the best first-person control scheme. You might be able to find a patch that allows it. They're entirely underground dungeon crawls with free movement rather than block-step movement. It has an early effective lighting system and elevation changes. Elder Scrolls I: Arena is a similar control scheme and graphical style, and includes some incredible things that were removed by necessity from later Elder Scrolls games (such as random procedural dungeons which were last seen in TES 2: Daggerfall and creation / destruction of walls and floors and such). You get just one character. Spellcasting is very interesting and there are some fun item interactions (using a torch on an ear of corn makes popcorn!). There are a lot of fun little mini-games throughout (not like a Tetris puzzle or connect-the-pipes, more like environmental and social puzzles). Monsters don't respawn AFAIR.

System Shock 1 and 2 are also awesome, but they're scifi survival horror theme with a complex inventory / skill / cybernetics system like Deus Ex (RPG-like). SS1 looks and controls like UU1 and UU2, but SS2 has a WASD control scheme and is very much updated. Like UU above, environmental interaction is a huge deal. Monsters respawn.

Eye of the Beholder (SNES or PC, not the mobile version) is good, a dungeon crawl into the Undermountain dungeon below Waterdeep City. It's exactly like what you posted in the OP. EoB II and EoB III are not as good, bordering on lame. Dungeon Hack is a procedural game using the same engine. It's good but because it's procedural it becomes monotonous. It has a fairly decent level limit, which you shouldn't reach in normal play. You can transfer characters from one to the next, except Dungeon Hack which is its own weird thing and you get only one character at a time in it also. These games adhere to 1st or 2nd edition AD&D rules. You get a party of four PCs plus up to two NPCs. Monsters don't respawn except in certain places AFAIR.

The old Gold Box games were NOT all Dragonlance. That was just one series using the engine. There was also the first set in Forgotten Realms (Pool of Radiance / Curse of the Azure Bonds / Secret of the Silver Blades / Pools of Darkness) and a Dark Sun series which I never played. They're first-person like your OP until combat, which is a top-down grid with turn-based mechanics. It's actually a rather closer representation of tabletop D&D than later efforts like Neverwinter Nights or Diablo because realtime combat makes tactics difficult. They share similarities in rule sets such as Friendly Fire (your Fireballs WILL destroy your friends if you get too close) and adherance to 1st or 2nd edition AD&D rules like racial class restrictions and level limits. Each game also has some level limit which you might easily reach during normal play, but you can transfer a party of characters from Game 1 to Game 2 in a set and so forth to the end. You get a party of 6 PCs and up to 2 NPCs. Monsters are random or placed encounters. Placed encounters generally don't respawn, but random encounters generally keep happening forever.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 02:42:46 pm »

Oh and I just want to put it out there that NWN 1 and 2 have a Drive Cam so you can actually play it like a first-person or third-person, it doesn't have to be top-down. It's not exactly as responsive as a typical FP though because you give commands and your character performs them whenever he damn well pleases (typically after he's stood there and been hit in the face several dozen times after which his initiative comes up).
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 03:45:42 pm »

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 04:34:48 pm »

Mordor II - Darkness Awakening
- persistent world; if your warrior dies, you can presumably run a cleric and send them down to revive him
- great music, cool visual style
- decent (though on the easy side) game balance and good rate of interesting equipment drops
- ultimately never got past the demo phase, but it had some spiritual successors I never bothered to play

I was just looking for this game and it appears that the game was never even completed.  You can get the uncompleted final version (demo) here.  And actually, Mordor 2 eventually morphed into Demise: Rise of the Ku'tan so, technically, that's the full version.

Looks pretty neat, I'm going to try it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:39:08 pm by GaelicVigil »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 05:25:33 pm »

Stonekeep!  http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/stonekeep/screenshots/gameShotId,14266/

I actually really adored the look of the dungeons, especially the lower levels that were pretty caves and more interesting things.  Neat magic system, not bad weapon system.  Simple.  Likeable.  Challenging, but easy to understand.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2] 3