Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's the best first person dungeon crawl?  (Read 17854 times)

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the best first person dungeon crawl?
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:26:38 pm »

Ya know, like this:

Could be retro or new

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best first person dungeon crawl?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 02:23:25 pm »

I'll just assume that you refer to "old-school" first-person dungeon crawl games, but this is a question I've tried to answer for a long time.  I've played quite a few of these, and have yet to find one that has everything I want.

The Might and Magic series is pretty good.  I particularly like M&M 2 just because it still had a lot of old-school flavor, but still had a pretty big world to explore and lots of stuff to see and do. M&M 6-7 are good too other than the poor race/class selection (and the horrible portraits).

I actually don't like Wizardry and Ultima that much because of the Sci-fi meets fantasy thing.  That's a little too weird.  The old gold box games bugged me because of the Dragonlance setting (Can't stand Dragonlance), but they had some pretty cool mechanics.  If I remember right, there was actually a Gold box builder program where you could create your own game.

Another game that I really like, and often gets overlooked is Dark Heart of Ukruul.  This is a pretty tight, polished game (for old-school) that is pretty cool.

Another game that I feel is pretty underrated is Wizards and Warriors.  Not sure why this game got such a poor reception, but I thought it was pretty fun, and had a very unique movement engine.

Other than that, I'm still looking for one that would combine a huge world, with a generic (non-IP) setting, no sci-fi stuff, light on story (more free-roaming), and plenty of randomly generated content.  I haven't found one yet that does all of that very well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 02:29:05 pm »

Personally I am a fan of the Lands of Lore series

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 02:41:21 pm »

Ah SitD. I've been getting the itch to play. I always lose interest in the Trial of Wisdom, or there abouts. I've probably played the Trial of Truth like 20 times now :P

I put my vote in for:

Damn I love that game. It's amazing how a single, monotonous drip of water echoing in the darkness can make the sounds of monsters moving around that much more terrifying. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 02:42:19 pm »

one to look into would be Decklin's Demise

http://www.decklinsdemise.com/news.php

its very free roam and the dungeon your exploring is huge, full of secret doors, teleporters and other nasty stuff.

I don't know how or where to get it though, I forget where I got my copy.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:44:34 pm »

Decklin's looks pretty cool. Says only the boxed version supports Vista, which makes me leery of spending $25 on it. I'm on Win7.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 02:53:10 pm »

its very free roam and the dungeon your exploring is huge, full of secret doors, teleporters and other nasty stuff.

Wow, thanks for sharing this.  Looks very interesting.

Is it just me or does the engine look just like Aurora from Neverwinter Nights?

Edit:  What do you get when buying the boxed set?  Full color?  What's the manual like?  Does it have art?  I'd be willing to buy the physical version if it looked nice.  The guy's website needs some serious help though...doesn't even render in Chrome.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:03:54 pm by GaelicVigil »

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 03:12:06 pm »

Wow, thanks for sharing this.  Looks very interesting.

Is it just me or does the engine look just like Aurora from Neverwinter Nights?

Edit:  What do you get when buying the boxed set?  Full color?  What's the manual like?  Does it have art?  I'd be willing to buy the physical version if it looked nice.  The guy's website needs some serious help though...doesn't even render in Chrome.

im pretty sure its not an actively updated game anymore. I dont remember where i got it myself. i did enjoy exploring the non random but huge dungeon.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 03:21:38 pm »

Dungeon Hack.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »

Daggerfall.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 04:32:00 pm »

Does Realms of Arkania count? Towns and dungeons are first-person, but battles use a turn-based tactical system.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 04:33:31 pm »

Ah SitD. I've been getting the itch to play. I always lose interest in the Trial of Wisdom, or there abouts. I've probably played the Trial of Truth like 20 times now :P

I put my vote in for:

Damn I love that game. It's amazing how a single, monotonous drip of water echoing in the darkness can make the sounds of monsters moving around that much more terrifying.
How much time i spent on this amazing game (and its sequel Chaos Strikes Back) on my good old ST .
I remember having drawn most of the levels to stop being lost in some of them.
Though there were some difficult ones to map, those sectors involving teleporters.
I was even trying to draw my own character portraits with the simple paint-like editor that was a part of Chaos Strikes Back.
Great old times.

On PC, it was Daggerfall, without any contest, that took the most hours of my 1st person dungeon crawling time.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »

I too would say Daggerfall is awesome (possibly the best RPG ever made), but I wouldn't really put in in the same category of the other "classic" first person RPGs.  I can't really put my finger on what made it different, but I think it had to do with the classics were more turn-based, were composed of parties, and less twitch-based.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 10:10:13 pm »

I don't have any screenshots at the moment but two obscure gems:

Mordor II - Darkness Awakening
- persistent world; if your warrior dies, you can presumably run a cleric and send them down to revive him
- great music, cool visual style
- decent (though on the easy side) game balance and good rate of interesting equipment drops
- ultimately never got past the demo phase, but it had some spiritual successors I never bothered to play

Shadows of Yserbius
- party based first person dungeon crawl mmorpg from sierra's imagination network, circa 1995
- paperdoll avatars
- really great 90s-era-Sierra-art
- simple kinda crappy gameplay
- recently revived as part of the INN revival project
Pages: [1] 2 3