Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to write a Story!  (Read 1207 times)

katheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I want to write a Story!
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:42:52 am »

I want to write a book about Dwarfs.

I have been told by a few people that I am imaginative and have the ability to write interesting.

This > http://katheb.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d32av8q  <

Is a quick example of what my mind comes up with.

My question to you forum is , Cough [Ignoring the spelling and grammer mistakes] Do you think I have what it takes to write an interesting story?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to write a Story!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:57:43 am »

Creative projects, sweetheart =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

katheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:40:02 pm »

Creative projects, sweetheart =)

I don't understand your reply...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:46:00 pm »

I shall help you understand that cryptic message!
It means that such a topic fits better in the Creative Projects forum subsection. Writing a story certainly does seem like a project which is creative, so you might want to use the oh-so-useful "move topic" button, so that it could finally settle where it belongs, among others like it.
Life Advice, as experience seems to teach us, is only concerned with whining about one's life, and having problems with one's PC.

katheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:46:52 am »

I shall help you understand that cryptic message!
It means that such a topic fits better in the Creative Projects forum subsection. Writing a story certainly does seem like a project which is creative, so you might want to use the oh-so-useful "move topic" button, so that it could finally settle where it belongs, among others like it.
Life Advice, as experience seems to teach us, is only concerned with whining about one's life, and having problems with one's PC.

Ahhhhh, Moved it.

cyancanine402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 01:43:58 pm »

Yes/No. Writing doesn't have an "it." As cliched and trite as this may sound, writing comes from the heart and writing to please others (which is what the term "it" insinuates you plan to do) is not enjoyable at all unless you are the one who plans to enjoy writing. And the "I don't want to sit down and type/write/sketch" thing is normal. That doesn't count as unhappiness.

But criticism wise, I don't have much to say. Work on grammar and try to flesh out the material side as well. I don't really know what the ship thingy looks like from the story. Details!

I.E.
She was sitting at the front of a large spindle. A large, doomed spindle. The normally beautiful emission from the fusion drive puttered out the back. The normally beautiful ship, her beautiful ship, was dying! Half of the ship was aflame, the other totally non-responsive. Lit only by the reddened LEDs and the displays of various stations, the bridge was a sweaty, cramped harbor in the storm. A hot spark on her arm brought her back to the current situation: a gigantic negative space wedgie, a rocking bridge bucking like the wild horse of one of her ancient ancestors and spewing sparks where molycircs had been fried, and no hope of the ship's survival. She ran to the escape pods, situated at the opposite of the hemispherical bridge and then...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:53:39 pm by cyancanine402 »
[DF_DEPENDENT]

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:01:49 am »

I actually think he did a pretty good job relating his character to her environment, especially in such a tense setting. You don't want to pump too much information into the reader when the character is fighting for their life, or else you risk making things seem less dire than they actually are - most people are thinking from the focus's point of view, and if they're noticing things around them you wouldn't if you thought you were about to die, or thinking in poetry (not to say I don't love poetry and prose :D), they're going to seem pretty relaxed.

I'd put more detail about the ship before that passage, unless it was a very minor part of the setting. If that's the start of a story, and the rest of it focuses on the world she crashed on, I think it's good.

But yeah, grammar! You used 'to' when you needed 'too', for instance. But you've got a good head for it, I can tell - just keep practicing, keep reading, and treasure constructive criticism as an opportunity to improve.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:03:35 am by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:24:21 pm »

You don't want to pump too much information into the reader when the character is fighting for their life, or else you risk making things seem less dire than they actually are

Either that or you make your character seem sort of nuts or with the worst ADD in the world.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:48:27 pm »

I want to write a book about Dwarfs.

Then write it!

[Ignoring the spelling and grammer mistakes]

Everyone makes typographical and grammatical errors. Yours weren't too bad.

Do you think I have what it takes to write an interesting story?

What you wrote seemed pretty solid to me. Seems like you have a good grasp on dramatic tension, which is the most important thing, really.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 07:11:27 pm »

It is a skill that can be developed. I don't believe in the "You either have it or you don't" in writing.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 07:19:09 pm »

I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 11:37:19 pm »

I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

and I didn't, at least intentionally, imply that you did... and because that was vague I mean. Opps I didn't think you thought so or said so.

katheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 10:09:25 am »

Thank you for the replies.

From what I read so far things look encouraging.

For the description of the ship I don't think it was important at that point in time. I tried describing the actions that the character was doing/seeing. because she was in danger! that actual situation was more improtant than the ship .

the ship would have been described in detail later. [detailing the damage]