Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Randomly generated open-world RPG game?  (Read 12713 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Randomly generated open-world RPG game?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »

Drox looks really neat, it is on my to-buy-sometime list. 

Space Game Junkie did a stream of it a while back, vid should be on his site / youtube channel.

Basically a diablo clone with spaceships, except that the setting is in the middle of a large scale 4X game the AI factions are playing against each other.

You get to pick factions to help, and either try to keep them balanced and in perpetual conflict, or help one conquer the others.  seems like a great concept.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 12:02:29 pm »

Been rummaging through Zombasite's asset files for modding purposes, it does look like it is reusing code from a space game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 12:03:59 pm »

Drox looks really neat, it is on my to-buy-sometime list. 

Space Game Junkie did a stream of it a while back, vid should be on his site / youtube channel.

Basically a diablo clone with spaceships, except that the setting is in the middle of a large scale 4X game the AI factions are playing against each other.

You get to pick factions to help, and either try to keep them balanced and in perpetual conflict, or help one conquer the others.  seems like a great concept.

The concept is, but somehow for all the talk of procedurally generated and dynamic worlds, it really fell flat for me. Which is a pity, 'cause I love space games and dynamic worlds. Worth checking out a let's play and truly focusing on the systems that you're seeing, instead of what you want to see :)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 12:19:45 pm »

As far as dynamic, randomly generated worlds go, there's Space Rangers 2. Its dynamic world can even deal with the main threat of the game without your help on easy.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 12:20:23 pm »

[quote author=Anvilfolk link=topic=160248.msg7156344#msg7156344 Worth checking out a let's play and truly focusing on the systems that you're seeing, instead of what you want to see :)
[/quote]

Looked like Diablo in space to me. 

Maybe my expectations were lower than yours, I wasn't expecting any kind of dynamic universe creator as much I was expecting dungeons that happened to have space stations and planets instead of furniture.

On a similar note, Transcendence is a pretty classic roguelike that happens to look like a space game.  Has scrolls, potions, wands, and a hunger system just like all the early Rogue / Hack / classics, they just happen to look like spacey things and be called "fuel" instead of "hunger".

It has pseudo-random dungeons (i mean starmaps) sort of like Nethack, where some major locations and quests are always the same (or similar within some set paramaters) but there are random dungeon levels (i mean star sysems) in betwen.

But like a roguelike, it has RPG like progression and a story system (and a handfull of side stories) that unfold as you play. 

It is open world like Nethack or a metroidvania is open world, you can go backwards and forwards or take side branches or skip them.  It isn't open world like URR is open world, but it is actually a game which is a pretty big advantage all things that are games have over URR.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 06:02:06 pm »

take a look at wayward its in beta its got some potential, the map youre on is procedural but finite, but once u build a boat u can move to another part of the map which again is a finite map of sorts, but each new finite map opens up an infinite number of exploration ( limits are only 5 biome sorts and only about 30 creatures currently)

Then theres no mans sky (which disapoints most but fits the bill)

Dark days cataclysm is probably the best free one out there ( active development, large community and interest)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 05:50:05 am »

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 [2]