Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Work Tomorrow (Wisconsin Protest)  (Read 35114 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Work Tomorrow (Wisconsin Protest)
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2011, 11:13:17 pm »

For (Eight?) I thought that he was saying Agr, a shortening of Agriculture day at the Capital.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:52 pm »

For (Eight?) I thought that he was saying Agr, a shortening of Agriculture day at the Capital.

yeah he's saying Ag day, in reference to the lobby days that are held:  http://www.wisconsinagconnection.com/story-state.php?Id=284&yr=2011
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2011, 08:07:15 pm »

Farming folk the world over: Fighting the goddam man since the year .
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2011, 08:40:43 pm »

As pretty much anyone could have expected - a Wisconsin state circuit judge has placed a stay on the implementation of the union/budget bill, pending further hearing and trial, in light of reasonably substantial complaint that the bill's passage violated open-disclosure laws.  The issue is definitely still alive and still moving.

Meanwhile, after Governor Scott Walker released some emails to make his case that he had huge public support on his side, this somehow triggered a real legal argument that allowed the Associated Press to sue for release of his official emails, probably under freedom of information laws.  It's still pretty up in the air, but the 8000 or so emails released, on the whole, don't exactly speak in his favor to put it politely, and may even wind up building an Ethics case against him in conjunction with the fake-Koch phonecall.  I'll try to find a proper link once the story shakes out a bit.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2011, 09:10:29 pm »

I think our old pal Vactor may have been crushed under the mob.  I wonder whatever happened to him.  Yo Vac, hope to hear how things are going.

I can ask that, because the public-worker-union business isn't over yet.  As you'll notice from my nine-day-old post, a Wisconsin state-capitol judge placed a stay on the "Budget Repair" bill's implementation as a law.  Governor Walker wanted it to be a law anyway, but the guy who actually publishes laws to be laws, the Secretary of State (Democrat) Doug LaFollette refused to publish it, because y'know judge's stay on the bill and all.  So Walker went to the "Legislative Reference Bureau" and made them officially publish the bill, and supposedly the governor's office is already sending out notices of pay cuts.  The LRB meanwhile insists they only published the bill because they didn't think they had the authority for that to mark it as standing law.

So you have the courts, the responsible government publishing bureau, and the Secretary of State all saying a kinda-sorta published bill isn't really a law yet, and the Governor who has the power to order things to be enforced says it is a law.  All political concepts and arguments aside, this is not how you run a government.  There should not be this kind of dire confusion over whether a bill is actually and can actually be implemented, with the Chief Executive at odds with his own offices and the Judiciary.

Meanwhile, semi-private agencies like state university faculties are lining up to unionize.  And the state's own budget-analysis offices report that the upcoming Wisconsin budget, passed under the shadow of the Governor insisting the state is too broke to follow the legal legislative process, will actually increase spending by about 1%, while still managing to slash most actual department budgets, with most of the savings being creamed off to private-public partnerships.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2011, 09:28:15 pm »

Good to see someone's keeping the old tradition of hideous corruption alive and kicking.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2011, 10:17:50 pm »

At this point, Wisconsin seems to have become a hideous... I'm not really sure how to describe it. Let's just go get Vactor's broken and mangled corpse and then quarantine the state.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2011, 10:27:52 pm »

A hideous example of how not to make a bill law.

In before bill is taken away, and layoffs/paycuts happening now are not accounted for because, "well technically it was never a bill, so you can't account for something that was never a legal force" blaming dems for removing the bill and defending his own actions in the way I can only expect such a character to do.

PS: above is speculation on a specific situation with several variables. I know it is unlikely to happen at all, but i still want to be in before it does.  8)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2011, 10:35:09 pm »

I'm still alive, but have been trying my best to divorce myself of dealing with this stuff when i'm not at work.  One quick correction to Aqizzar's post, the upcoming budget has yet to be passed.  The bill that was passed was simply a budget repair bill for the previous budget.

Right now we're getting ready to take the upcoming, and in all likelihood more controversial, 2011-2013 budget around the state for public hearings before the joint finance committee.  I've been applying for other jobs, but it seems unlikely I'll land one before we dive back into the middle of the fray.

Its a rather terrible type of dread that i've got for this, as there is nothing I can do to resolve the upcoming situation, it just keeps looming closer and closer.  Tommorow and Wednesday we will be working the departmental briefings, and at the end of the week we'll be holding our first hearing on it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2011, 10:39:59 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:54:17 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2011, 09:15:02 am »

<post to watch>

In general, I rather dislike unions but style and methods of implementing this law is sick. And democrats are still hiding somewhere?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2011, 09:20:28 am »

<post to watch>

In general, I rather dislike unions but style and methods of implementing this law is sick. And democrats are still hiding somewhere?

The Democrats have been back for a few weeks now, once the bill was voted on in the Senate they came back.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2011, 10:08:43 am »

Doesn't the democrats return run the risk that the law will be passed in a proper form now that they've returned?
Signature goes here.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2011, 01:48:30 pm »

On a similar note...

Something tells me the Democrats will be suffering a real hangover come next election day.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16