Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Work Tomorrow (Wisconsin Protest)  (Read 34352 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Work Tomorrow (Wisconsin Protest)
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2011, 11:49:08 pm »

I most certainly am a taxpayer, and I generally support unions.  Some of them are awful (like when the local automotive union somehow took over collective bargaining for grad students at my university...wtf...) but they're overall a good thing.  Eliminating them through legal action is downright fascist any way you slice it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2011, 11:50:57 pm »

Quoting myself, but in addition, Wisconsin doesn't allow itself to go into debt.  Every budget must be balanced.  Any shortfall is projected, and not current.  This is why we have budget adjustment bills come towards the end of a session, to account for what actually happened with revenue.

Yes, this is true for every state in the union, I believe.

You have to remember I work in a non-partisan position, I get exposed to much more information than talking points.

Noted, and I thank you for your input here.  I follow financial markets closely (and no, I do not work in the finance industry).  Poor demographic trends in the U.S., coupled with underfunded public pension obligations and a crumbling municipal bond market make me believe that shortfalls and deficits across the country are far worse than projected.  Official projections for these sort of things tend to be overly optimistic.

By the way, I live in New York with the highly corrupt MTA and their union so I have a lot of bitterness towards them.  My mother also works in civil service (not in the MTA) and believe me I hear all sorts of stories about what goes on in these unions.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2011, 11:54:52 pm »

I most certainly am a taxpayer, and I generally support unions.  Some of them are awful (like when the local automotive union somehow took over collective bargaining for grad students at my university...wtf...) but they're overall a good thing.  Eliminating them through legal action is downright fascist any way you slice it.

I have no issue with unions in private industry- the Teamsters, for example, or the automotive workers union.  I believe they have every right to organize.  I wouldn't want to be a member of one, however.  Nor do I believe that union membership should be compulsory if you want to work in trucking or on an assembly line.

Unions in the public sector are another matter.  There's no "cost control" because union members can throw a significant amount of votes for a candidate that offers them enough goodies during negotiations.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2011, 12:01:12 am »

Unions in the public sector are another matter.  There's no "cost control" because union members can throw a significant amount of votes for a candidate that offers them enough goodies during negotiations.

If you think a union can really swing enough votes just for that one purpose...well, then, maybe there's a significant enough population that thinks it's actually important.  It's not like every goddamn voter is a member of any one given union.  Besides, look at all the other single-issue economic things that people vote for.  People vote for people who will give them tax cuts.  People vote for candidates who endorse construction in the field they work for.  Etc.  Unions really don't change that.

Teachers' unions don't get pro-education people voted in.  People who think teachers should be fucking paid get pro-education people voted in.  So what if a lot of those folks decided to become teachers, and to join a union?  That doesn't make their political opinions any less valid.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2011, 12:05:41 am »

Nor do I believe that union membership should be compulsory if you want to work in trucking or on an assembly line.

"Right-to-work" states make it impossible for unions to have real bargaining power.  Saying you favor a right to work approach to unionization is saying that you favor having no significant labor organizations and pretty soon only 7% of the private workforce is unionized.  It's just hiding it behind a step of removal.  It's like how saying you favor cuts to local or state governments means you favor firing teachers.  You need to actually think through the consequences of your decisions.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2011, 05:08:39 am »

As of December 2010, Wisconsin's unemployment rate was about 7%.  But only 30% are taxpayers?
The official definition of unemployed is people who are willing and able to work, but do not have a job, hence the difference between the numbers.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2011, 09:31:04 am »

Sarcasm fail all over the place in this thread.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2011, 09:33:24 am »

The official definition of unemployed is people who are willing and able to work, but do not have a job, hence the difference between the numbers.

Allow me to introduce you to my derp.  He's not very herp.  In other words, touché.

I still very much contest the "all taxpayers and only taxpayers dislike public unions" bullshit.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:34:57 am by Earthquake Damage »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2011, 09:54:00 am »

It is a generalization, and is thus bullshit by definition.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2011, 01:12:41 pm »

The silliness of that remark was pointed out rather quickly.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:57 pm »

I just got in argument in my government class over this.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2011, 04:00:56 pm »

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=government+surplus+by+country

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=oil+production+by+country

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=oil+consumption+by+country

All these wonderful debates about worker rights and compensation are good and all, but these are debates we would not be having if the USA and it's constituent states bothered to have budget that ends in the black, rather than the red. Of course, in America, our politicians have convinced us that the solution to every problem is for the government to cut it's primary revenue source, Taxes.
!!&!!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2011, 04:47:33 pm »

Yes, and we like to call ourselves "taxpayers".
Uh... don't public sector workers pay taxes too?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2011, 05:21:57 pm »

No, they just murder taxpayer babies and use their blood in rituals to the god of public unions.  That scares off the IRS.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2011, 05:40:15 pm »

No, they just murder taxpayer babies and use their blood in rituals to the god of public unions.  That scares off the IRS.

...But the IRS are public sector workers too!!!! /brain bleach required
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16