Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Work Tomorrow (Wisconsin Protest)  (Read 34368 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Work Tomorrow (Wisconsin Protest)
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2011, 11:30:55 pm »

He's just so animated.

Dat Claw hand man.

Its the key to his power.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2011, 12:27:11 pm »

Schultz -> German(-ish) -> Marx & Engels. Also Lenin.
Seriously guys. Wake up sheeple!
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2011, 12:32:05 pm »

Schultz -> German(-ish) -> Marx & Engels. Also Lenin.
Seriously guys. Wake up sheeple!

Um... What are you actually trying to say here. I can't parse this in any logical way.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2011, 12:35:01 pm »

Can't you see it! It's so obvious! THE TURTH IS OUT THERE!
Love, scriver~

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2011, 01:24:07 pm »

Man, I got tears in my eyes from that speech.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2011, 02:12:50 pm »

I'd vote for him. Wonder if he talks like that all the time? It'd make for a hell of a "Have a nice day at work, honey".

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2011, 04:12:25 pm »

That was absolutely awesome.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2011, 04:19:28 pm »

I could barely understand him after the 6 minute mark and yet I was still inspired enough to drop kick a bear through my neighbor's house.

Into my sig.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2011, 04:58:43 pm »

A good joke found on Al-Jazeera

Quote from: Al-Jazeera
A CEO, a union worker and a Tea Partier (a member of the emerging right-wing political movement) are at a table with 12 cookies. The CEO takes 11 and says to the Tea Partier: "Keep an eye on that union guy, he wants your cookie."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2011, 10:25:40 pm »

I'd love to see a revival of the farmer-laborer party.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2011, 10:19:22 pm »

Since I couldn't find a good transcript anywhere on the Internet, I went ahead and wrote down Tony Schultz's speech, for a clearer record and presentation.  There's only a couple spots that I couldn't figure out what he was saying, and they're not really important.  If anyone knows what he was saying, do tell.  I chose to exclude exclamation points, since the entire speech is essentially in an exclamation-point voice, and I'm pressed for time.  I really hope it's all spelled correctly, because I'm pressed for time.

My name is Tony Schultz, and I'm a member of Family (something?) National Farmers Union.  I'm a third generation family farmer, born and raised on a fifty cow dairy with my family.  Today, my partner Kat and I, we wanna run our farm as a hundred and fifty member CSA with beefers and maple syrup and chickens and pigs... And I came back to the family farm after college, because of my values.  And it's the values I'm reminded of every time I look at my state's license plate, and see that little red barn.  And it's values that I think overlap entirely with the values of the labor movement.  Family farmers, like the labor movement, value the dignity of being able to have some control over your work, and your life.  To be empowered by your work, and not alienated by it.  Family farmers, like the labor movement, value the means to have a beautiful and constructive setting to raise a family.  Family farmers, like the labor movement, value economic democracy.  What is a union anyway, but working people coming together, acting together, to improve their lives.  And that is what we're here to do: to act together and speak together, in solidarity.  Saying, "We reject this union busting bill, and we reject this budget."

Solidarity between farmers and workers is an old and sacred alliance of producers, that dates back beyond the populist movement.  When workers and farmers came together, to struggle for a progressive income tax, for a financial system that served the people, for unions and the eight-hour day.  And we stand together today.  Listen to these quotes from populists over a hundred and twenty years ago: Tom Watson, a Georgia populist said, and this couldn't be truer, "the fruits of the toil of millions are boldly stolen to build up the fortunes of a few, unprecedented in human history."  Ignatius Donnelly, a Minnesota populist said in 1890, "the interests of rural and urban labor are the same, their enemies are identical."  For more than a hundred years, we have been fighting together, we have been picketing together, we've been dumping milk, we've been sitting in, we've been blocking traffic, and we are going to take this state back.

And then there are those who tell us, "this isn't a farmers' issue."  If those people have petty resentment that then is amplified by right-wing radio, until they think that a fireman's pension is the problem.  And then there are groups that represent this evil; the Dairy Business Association was here on Wednesday, the (eighth?) day at the capitol saying, hooray for Walker's budget.  Well I want you to know that those aren't farmers.  They're agribusiness corporations with a few farms up front.  And I want Wisconsin and the world to know that this is the real (eighth?) day at the capitol.  This is a farmers' issue; it's a farmers' issue because our rural schools are getting decimated by this budget, and they are the centers of our small towns and rural communities.  In my home town of Athens, fourteen of forty four teachers got pink slips - will be laid off because of this budget.  It's bad for our children's education, it's bad for the stability of our town, it's bad for the very future of our school district, and we say no.  It's a farmers' issue, because Scott Walker wants to hack Badgercare - eleven thousand family farm members depend on Badgercare, because of the exclusivity of for-profit health insurance companies, and because the pathetic and volatile price we receive for milk and other commodities that don't meet the cost of our production.  We depend on this.  We support Badgercare.  It's a farmers' issue because we have been battling for corporate power for more than a century.  This budget could not be a clearer manifestation of corporate power, and we say no.  It's a farmers' issue because public workers are our friends, and our neighbors, and our family members, and we stand in solidarity with them.  It's a farmer's issue because we know that we're all in this together, we go up together or we go down together.

The way I see it, we've got two choices.  I can have my unions busted, and stand alone and be pitted against my neighbor, in a desperate and unequal economy.  Or we can come together to say, "this is what our families need, this is what our communities need, this is what a just wage is, this is what democracy looks like."  It's a farmers' issue because we are saying, that an injury to one is an injury to all.  Solidarity!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2011, 10:24:50 pm »

God bless the United States of Midwestia.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2011, 10:24:58 pm »

Damn, that is a rising speech :D
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 16, 2011, 10:26:43 pm »

Thank you, Aquizzar.
That transcript is much easier for me to follow than any video. Especially since my internet connection (and computer!) aren't too good with video feed right now. It's also a lot easier to sit and contemplate text than a rousing speech after it has ended.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2011, 10:38:18 pm »

Thank you very much for posting that transcript!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16