Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Work Tomorrow (Wisconsin Protest)  (Read 34367 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Work Tomorrow (Wisconsin Protest)
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2011, 10:39:22 pm »

Looks like it's gonna be a split decision, 3 R's stay in and 3 get tossed out.

@Vactor: I feel ya. I'm in the opposite boat, a contractor who WANTS to be a civil servant and can't get the damn government to hire me. And meanwhile sees a slew of people who have been there way too long and won't up and retire because of the economy. So younger people like me have no civil service jobs to fill.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:52 pm »

As a Wisconsinite, this whole thing pisses me off.  It's such a waste to hold a recall election months after the actual election regardless of how you feel.

It's a generally held belief in this country that democracy is a pretty precious thing.  So shouldn't it be worth putting some effort into practicing it?  Recall elections are one of the safety valves of democracy, letting people keep politicians in line if they believe they are out of control.  Isn't that pretty much the whole point to democracy?  You can decide that the recall efforts are frivolous on the merits if you want.  But why go hating on all recalls?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2011, 10:54:46 am »

As a Wisconsinite, this whole thing pisses me off.  It's such a waste to hold a recall election months after the actual election regardless of how you feel.

It's a generally held belief in this country that democracy is a pretty precious thing.  So shouldn't it be worth putting some effort into practicing it?  Recall elections are one of the safety valves of democracy, letting people keep politicians in line if they believe they are out of control.  Isn't that pretty much the whole point to democracy?  You can decide that the recall efforts are frivolous on the merits if you want.  But why go hating on all recalls?

I didn't say anything about recalls in general.  I'm angry because there were calls very quickly after the actual elections.  That we're holding recalls within months of the elections.  These guys didn't have time to do much before people started calling for recalls.  Some of these guys only crime seems to be supporting Walker's controversial bills.

I'm not saying I like what he's doing, but I do think what's happening now is ridiculous.  And the conduct of both parties is sickening.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2011, 12:14:54 pm »

I think a recall is justified when there's a problem of this magnitude. They didn't have time to do much, but what they did have time to do was apparently completely unacceptable to enough people to justify a recall. I don't see a problem with people having lines that they won't allow their representatives to cross.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2011, 05:56:43 pm »

Some of these guys only crime seems to be supporting Walker's controversial bills.

Well, yeah... that's the point.  People don't like those bills and that budget.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2011, 06:18:43 pm »

Everyone who was/is being recalled hasn't had an election in 3 years.  A newly elected state official in Wisconsin comes with a 1 year grace period before any recall petition may be filed.  The Senate terms last 4 years, with half of the Senate coming up for election every 2 years.  All of the recalled senators were on the same ballot as Obama in 2008.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 10, 2011, 09:03:18 pm »

I stand corrected! That'll teach me to assume everything my opponent says is factually true.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2011, 12:00:54 am »

As another Wisconsinite, I can say I'm very much not pissed off by the recall effort. If you needed a 'crime' to take someone out of office, it would never happen, no matter how corrupt and self-aggrandizing they became during their term. You have to be able to remove people that are supporting blatantly misleading efforts to fill their own pockets, or there would be no barriers that could hold back the madness that would ensue. Supporting a bill built on the grounds of a manufactured deficit is more than enough reason to call out the big guns. I'm pleasantly surprised that it actually worked, even a little bit.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]