Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to survive the second winter in Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 4740 times)

Scintillescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to survive the second winter in Dwarf Fortress?
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:57:46 am »

Hey folks! :D

I'm just kinda curious how to survive the second winter in Dwarf Fortress because I think about five of my dwarfs died :(

So anyone, can anyone give me tips?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to survive the second winter in Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:01:35 am »

Probably, bu a few more details would help. What's killing you? Are you running out of food, booze or are goblins or animals getting you? It's hard to give much advice without knowing a little more about what is going on.
Memento Mori

Scintillescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:03:16 am »

Oh well the problem is I ran out of booze very quickly because there are lots of dwarfs, and so I built a well in the lake but it froze in winter :(

And they died quickly, about five of them.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:45 am »

Crazy food, farm just insane amounts of food during the summer and autumn.  Chop wood, make barrels to be able to brew booze, and be sure 'reserve empty barrels' under the stockpile menu(p) to have a few barrels empty when you need to brew.

If you want water, remember that water won't freeze 'inside', so dig a pit inside , below a surface lake, and drain the water from the surface lake into your pit to keep it from freezing.

Half of the fun of the game is figuring out these things I guess, learning from your mistakes and how to avoid your previous mistakes. :)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:59 am »

Make far far more booze.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Scintillescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:13:44 am »

Wow, thanks guys! XD

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:25:45 pm »

Food and booze production are the #1 priority of any fort planning to last longer than 2 years.

If you're having a hard time figuring out how to grow and produce your own, just trade cut gems and easily made stone crafts to the traders. They can supply you with all the food and drink you need for a small group of dwarves, until you figure things out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:30:09 pm »

Get lots of plump helmet seeds, and plant plump helmets all winter (on a fair amount of underground farmland). Plump helmets can be eaten raw (giving a seed) as well as brewed (still giving a seed), so are the perfect staple crop until your food / drink stocks are high.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 01:29:50 pm »

Underground lakes don't freeze.  Drain a lake into an underground lake and build a well on it.

Makes a useful backup to booze.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 01:56:17 pm »

Lots of Boooooze , LOTS OF THEM , if you don't have them they will die of thirst
Desu

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 02:16:52 pm »

An herbalist can really help out on early booze production. A single good herbalist backed up by a good brewer can make enough booze to satisfy a solid 80 dwarves. That isn't to say you shouldn't get a farm going, though. The herbalist will die. It's just a fact of life. Enjoy him while you have him.

Peaceful Slugman

• Bay Watcher
  • dont axe me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 03:21:34 pm »

The problem is that you are letting the winter kill your dwarves. that should be YOUR job. Preempt the winter and cull your skilless dwarves and your high master fish dissector dwarves before winter comes.

But if you don't want to do that then make sure on your next embark to set up farmland asap, and have your grower be a dedicated grower. in an emergency, butcher an animal for food and reserve plants for brewing.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 02:35:21 am »

Food and booze production are the #1 priority of any fort planning to last longer than 2 years.
If you plan your embark carefully, you can easily bring stuff for 2 years w/out any food production.
Usually I dont bother with industries until I've finished sketching out fort and implementing first line of defences (typically walls and bridge).