Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken nose but no trip to the doc  (Read 2838 times)

Bartok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Broken nose but no trip to the doc
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:59:50 pm »

What's the deal with broken noses?  I've had dwarfs which have broken noses, yet they don't seek medical attention for them, and I can't recall them ever healing.

Does anyone else get this in their forts?

Bartok

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broken nose but no trip to the doc
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:12:33 pm »

Medical care seems kind of random. Depending on your staff, hospital location, and dwarves, they may go see them for a scratched finger; or if they have broken limbs but can still move, they'll ignore medical treatment.

If you really want them to go to the doctor, you'll have to give them a worse injury. A couple of pokes with a menacing spike should do the trick.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:17:55 pm »

Ouch.

Bartok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:39:46 pm »

I'd prefer him alive ;)

He seems to have lost a tooth, and had his nose broken while trying to dodge a training spear, so the menacing spike would be tempting fate!

Bartok

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 05:48:29 pm »

Cloaks, ASAP.

I had this exact thing happen to me - all my military dwarfs had mangled noses, teeth, and ears. A year or two later, about half perished to infection, and the resulting tantrum spiral destroyed my fort.

Maybe you'll be lucky, but keep an eye on them for infection, how many friends they have, and if you haven't, CLOAKS.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:08:01 am »

Medical care seems kind of random. Depending on your staff, hospital location, and dwarves, they may go see them for a scratched finger; or if they have broken limbs but can still move, they'll ignore medical treatment.

If you really want them to go to the doctor, you'll have to give them a worse injury. A couple of pokes with a menacing spike should do the trick.

Dwarf Fortress: Where the cure for a broken nose is a spear through the chest.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 03:30:51 am »

But if you injure them with an upright spear, will the doctors will not only fix the wound made by the upright spear, but also the previous, untreated wounds? I mean, I know this sounds a little stupid of me to ask, but seeing as how DF can be so unpredictable at times... ::)

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:31:51 am »

Your dwarves are all fucking pansies.
Every signe dwarf in my forts must get up to legendary skill in whatever weapon they choose through real combat experience, or die trying. What ends up is best described as Spartan Syndrome. Not a single person, not even a baby, cares about anything. anyone who is still alive is legendary in a weapon skill, or is training to be. Every dwarf is an active militiaman. And goddamnit, sieges die too fast!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 05:45:10 am »

But if you injure them with an upright spear, will the doctors will not only fix the wound made by the upright spear, but also the previous, untreated wounds? I mean, I know this sounds a little stupid of me to ask, but seeing as how DF can be so unpredictable at times... ::)

I've noticed that dwarves that have injuries that don't actually affect how they move, see, grasp, breath, etc. often don't get it checked out. Thus the current problem.

The upright spear is to put a hole in their foot or something, to force them to go see the doc for diagnosis so he can say "Yup, that's a spear in yer foot. And if you hadn't noticed, you're wearing your nose as an earring."

The foot's important, and the nose he might fix since he just happens to be there anyway.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Bartok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:48:40 am »

I do have cloaks on them :)

So far so good on not keeling over dead to infection.  I do have dwarfs falling in love with each other in the military though.  Hopefully they won't get married.  The last thing I need is for babies to scuttle my plan to play with the clowns for the first time :)

Bartok

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:02:23 pm »

So far so good on not keeling over dead to infection.  I do have dwarfs falling in love with each other in the military though.  Hopefully they won't get married.  The last thing I need is for babies to scuttle my plan to play with the clowns for the first time :)

Bartok

That's why I have an all-male military. If I ever find myself needing for extra soldiers, I create female-only squads and usually arm them as marksdwarves, so that they train separately as well as don't have babies in the middle of the battlefield.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 11:29:36 pm »

Bartok

That's why I have an all-male military. If I ever find myself needing for extra soldiers, I create female-only squads and usually arm them as marksdwarves, so that they train separately as well as don't have babies in the middle of the battlefield.

What's the problem with dwarves spontaneously sprouting shields in the middle of battle?

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 09:10:05 am »

Bartok

What's the problem with dwarves spontaneously sprouting shields in the middle of battle?

there wouldn't be anything wrong with it if using those shields as shields didn't result in tantrums that end with my marksdwarves all turning on each other... :(

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 06:21:40 pm »

there wouldn't be anything wrong with it if using those shields as shields didn't result in
tantrums that end with my marksdwarves all turning on each other... :(

If your dwarves aren't at least content (and preferably ecstatic) after being hospitalized
and losing a child and a spouse to tragedy, then you evidently are not feeding them enough
☼roasts☼ and ☼booze☼ in legendary water-fall-enhanced dining rooms.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.