Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF2 Speed and You (And me)  (Read 1093 times)

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
DF2 Speed and You (And me)
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:27:51 pm »

Its been quite some time since I last played DF and I was wondering if an equivalent project to this following link. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28841.0. I apologize for posting such a simplistic question but I am rather out of the loop. After searching the forum for "speed boosts" and "enhancements" and other such terms it came up with forum games and nothing I could find that was connected to my request.

So, what news to boost my precious fps gentlemen? I'll run through the basics, turning off weather, and the like but I was curious.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2 Speed and You (And me)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »

I've not seen anything like that for the current version.

There are a lot of ways to speed things up, though; most importantly, keep it small. Generating a small world, with a small number of layers, provides a surprising speed boost, from what I hear. Keep fortress population down, on a small embark. And use the init settings to best minimize FPS drain.

After some looking around, it looks like that project went to 40d19. From what I read, it looks like the improvements may have been integrated into DF2010? Either way, there is no well-known equivalent project for the current version. It may be worth your time to look for some speed-enhancing mods, but they may significantly alter the game.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:22:44 pm »

The difference between 40d and 40d19 was the addition of SDL programming. If you look at the download page, you'll notice that there are two versions to download, Legacy and SDL. So yes, the 40d19 changes were transferred over to the new (current) version. If you want to really speed up FPS, just close off the map borders with bridges and avoid unveiling the caverns. Also, moving liquids are often a massive FPS sink, as is pathfinding. Look up "efficient pathfinding" in the search box and it should bring up some fort designs for it.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 03:35:14 pm »

The following will help your FPS, or at least have been rumored to do so by the community in general.  You're probably aware of most of them, but it might help someone:

Pocket World Gen
Shorter History Gen
Population Cap (I find 60 dwarves is a comfortable amount)
Minimal liquid flow (Dam rivers, keep still water at an even depth)
Minimal magma flow (Worse than water due to temperature calculations when it moves)
Machinery, particularly pump stacks.  Usually goes hand in hand with moving lots of liquids.
Clean contaminants from your dwarves and walls (Make a bath, or use DFhack/DFclean)
Atom smash useless items
Shallow worlds and reduced cavern layers (Change in advanced world-gen). Or avoid discovering caverns at all.
Remove unused or excessive stockpiles
Don't use clothing outside of what dwarves bring in with them.
Don't designate excessively large things at once, like channeling out a entire z-level.
Fortress Design Efficiency
   -Use ramps over stairs
   -Build vertically instead of horizontally
   -Use 3 tile corridors for high traffic areas, 1 tile for areas rarely used.
   -Don't put one single tile chokepoint/doors for a high traffic areas, for example a meeting hall.
   -Keep related buildings near each other and their related stockpiles; such as Kitchens/Butchers/Tanners or Carpenters/Wood Furnace/Forge
   -Close off the outdoors when it's not needed with bridges, locked doors, etc, so it's not taken into account in path finding calculations.
Lower Baby cap (Mothers with 10 children following them around permanently tend to clog traffic)
Trade in low volumes of goods, such as one masterpiece roast instead of 30 stone crafts.
3x3 or 2x2 Embarks with minimal elevation changes
For building projects, turn off invasions.
Turn off weather
Turn off temperature

k96spy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 03:41:01 pm »

I find that caging all useless animals helps.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 03:53:05 pm »

According to everything I just read, my play-style is unbelievably inefficient. Only rule I'm not really breaking is that I use ramps for everything possible. :P

Although, some advice I could give is that all old mine tunnels/excavations or disused passageways should be walled off to save on pathing.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

It makes me cry sometimes to think I have to play around limitations in the gam--waiiiit a sec... I don't... I just do whatever and let my processor cry about it :'D

but then again I've never had more than 20 or so dwarfs without my fortress coming to a grinding halt due to raipface and goblins.   THIS IS WHY I EMBARK ON ISLANDS, IT MAKES IT SO I DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH INVASIONS. B:

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 04:48:37 pm »

or you can do [INVADERS:NO] in d_init.txt  :)

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 05:37:28 pm »

I went through and did my usual fix to the init settings, though I kept weather and the like on. Generated a relatively small 2x2 world with no rivers but an active volcano caldera smack dab in the middle. Its running at a steady 150fps for now, I appreciate the response folks.

Now to wrap my head around this damn army arc thing a ma jig... I JUST WANT TO ACTIVATE THE UNIT SO THEY CAN TRAIN :'(

Heading over to the wiki for further illumination. Thanks one and all!
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 06:56:30 pm »

traffic designations
restricted adjecent to low adjecent to normal.
helped me get from 12 to 18 (of 20max) in a borg fort where everything was a in a 15z grid of 12?x12? 5x5 rooms connected with up/down stairs in every corner. not a single hallway :)