Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: LCS on a mac?  (Read 10908 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS on a mac?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 11:49:11 am »

Great, I will upload my lcs app later (after some extensive testing)

LCS_4.04.app

uncheck "use bold text" in terminal settings for best experience

Thank you for making this! im thrilled i can finally play this game. i cant figure out how to not make the text bold as when i go into settings, all of the options are blacked out. would love a more old school terminal look, either way, that doesn't really matter, this game is amazing.

I've had good luck using LCS with iTerm (http://iterm.sourceforge.net/) rather than the default Terminal. I tried downloading the launcher script to try to see if I could figure out how one would launch LCS in iTerm instead of Terminal through it, but I wasn't able to run or even edit it, presumably because I'm using old-n-busted 10.4, which I'm guessing doesn't support all the script features used.

Yannanth

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 01:51:23 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:06:45 am by Yannanth »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 04:23:26 pm »

Great, I will upload my lcs app later (after some extensive testing)

LCS_4.04.app

uncheck "use bold text" in terminal settings for best experience

Thank you for making this! im thrilled i can finally play this game. i cant figure out how to not make the text bold as when i go into settings, all of the options are blacked out. would love a more old school terminal look, either way, that doesn't really matter, this game is amazing.

I've had good luck using LCS with iTerm (http://iterm.sourceforge.net/) rather than the default Terminal. I tried downloading the launcher script to try to see if I could figure out how one would launch LCS in iTerm instead of Terminal through it, but I wasn't able to run or even edit it, presumably because I'm using old-n-busted 10.4, which I'm guessing doesn't support all the script features used.
No offence, but I kinda had the impression you didn't even own a Mac from other posts of yours...

I don't develop LCS on my Mac, but I do have one -- in fact, in the early days, I worked on LCS using Parallels. The fact that I'm three OS updates out of date will tell you something of how that's changed over time. My preference for OS X is trumped by the practical reality that game development is a more thriving industry on PCs.

terroroinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »

i cant figure out how to not make the text bold as when i go into settings, all of the options are blacked out. would love a more old school terminal look, either way, that doesn't really matter, this game is amazing.

A. sorry, i forgot that the settings are blanked out when using this. i think you can uncheck "use bold text" in the terminal settings without starting lcs and then saving those settings for all future terminals as default. once you start lcs, it will also be using this set-up.

B. if you want to try out different fonts and sizes (maybe to make it more old school looking) or a different terminal like iTerm, another option would be to look at the package content of the app and copy the lcs folder to your directory of choice and then start the game in a Terminal from there with ./crimesquad. you can then change the terminal settings for font size etc. as usual (which you can't in the app as it is blanked out).

C. if there is demand I can also upload the lcs.app being editable with apple script so that you can change my preferred settings (font, which terminal app, etc) to yours and still conveniently start the game via app.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:15:40 pm by terroroinker »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 09:34:03 pm »

I already fixed my terminal for games of this nature after finally getting Cataclysm to work on my Mac. I'm glad I don't have to start up a VM to play LCS any more. If it works.

Edit: It does not. ./crimesquad is doing...nothing. Looks like the app should be doing it for me.. but it is not.
I've cd'ed into the right folder, right down until I hit info.plist and the others, but at no stage does the ./crimesquad work.

I've changed the name of the folder that the LCS App resides within to Computer_Games, as terminal gets in a huff if it's looking for them as separate words. Still hasn't worked. It's 2:45 am, so I'ma sleep and let you guys mull this over.

Cheers. Rowan.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:45:56 pm by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 11:41:20 pm »

I already fixed my terminal for games of this nature after finally getting Cataclysm to work on my Mac.

Sorry to derail a bit, but how did you manage to make Cataclysm run natively in the terminal whilst still being... visible? When I do so, the many of the colors are extremely similar (e.g. dark blue is nearly black) and it's quite hard to make some things out. I therefore run it in an X11 terminal, (which has distinguishable colors) although I'd much prefer to use it in Terminal.app. Is that what you've done, and if so, how did you do it?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 06:29:50 am »

Ooooh. I'ma go check how I did it.

Ok, I remember it having to do with the choice to display ANSI colours and bold text.

I've got Monaco 10 pt. as font.
Use bold fonts, Allow blinking text, Display ANSI colours, Use bright colours for bold text. These are all checked. Only Antialias text is unchecked, but go wild. I don't see how antialiasing text would make it cash.

Both text and bold text are set to black.

Incidentally, you may want to change your default window size to 80x25, so you don't have to lengthen your screen every time.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

terroroinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 09:57:32 am »

I've cd'ed into the right folder, right down until I hit info.plist and the others, but at no stage does the ./crimesquad work.

info.plist is not in the folder where you type ./crimesquad. show app/package contents, then go to Contents->Resources->Lcs, and there you hit ./crimesquad. if you don't want to cd down all the way, just do it in Finder and drag the lcs folder into a terminal window (and type "cd " in there first).

Is the app by itself working though? if not, what is the terminal output... should be something like cd "path-to-app"/contents/resources/lcs and then ./crimesquad
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:06:09 am by terroroinker »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 08:02:53 pm »

The exact terminal output after doubleclicking is cd /Users/rowan/Computer_Games/LCS/LCS.app/Contents/Resources/lcs/;./crimesquad just as it should be.

EDIT: if i'm patient there's more.

Unknown-00-1e-c2-a1-cb-38:~ rowan$ cd /Users/rowan/Computer_Games/LCS/LCS.app/Contents/Resources/lcs/;./crimesquad
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap
Unknown-00-1e-c2-a1-cb-38:lcs rowan$

That bit boggles me.

If I try doing it manually, I just get the last three lines.

Also, I tried navigating there in the finder instead of through a terminal, and doubleclicking the crimesquad terminal executable directly and that returns the full "unknown-00 etcetc" error. Have you got the source files hanging about?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:14:06 pm by Rowanas »

terroroinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2012, 03:51:45 am »

dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap

this comes up if you try to run a build intended for a different osx. i compiled this on snow leopard and apparently it is not working on your system.

you could still compile it by yourself though, it is relatively easy. look at the download thread and follow the source code -> linux instructions, they should work.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2012, 08:24:16 am »

Just as it was for Cataclysm. Strangely, terminal roguelikes are all fairly similar... :D

shibby1295

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 12:47:23 am »

I just got LCS running on my mac. I followed the instructions for running from the linux source code, and it worked fine.

Until... After my squad got wiped out, the game seemed to get trapped in some kind of loop (which might have been the sleeper-as-leader bug), causing me to force quit. Trying to run the game again brought a bus error, so I reverted and rebuilt. No dice. I removed the entire lcsgame folder and contents, and did a fresh checkout, bootstrap, configure, make. I still get a bus error every time I try to run crimesquad. Help?

EDIT: did some README reading, removed ~/.lcs, and rebuilt. It works now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:26:37 am by shibby1295 »

BurningParadox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:42 pm »

Is it possible to run this with Wine? Glancing at the wiki it tells me to run it tells me to use "wineconsole & curses backend". However, I'm a little baffled as to what this even means. :/

Any attempts to run it through Wine as I would run DF seem to be fruitless. I run it but there is simply no reaction. No bug or error, but the executable simply doesn't run. Admittedly, I'm not terribly tech-savy so I'm a tad intimidated at trying to build it from the source.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 01:33:45 pm »

You should use the command "wineconsole" to launch the application, rather than "wine" like you would for most programs.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

BaronNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 10:33:11 am »

Hey, this topic looks old, but I have a suggestion.

If we (and by we I mean anybody who wants to take the extra time) could port LCS to Java, it would make it completely cross-platform compatible. I have some Java experience... It would just be a matter of using the Graphics text package extensively.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4