Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: game crashes and unable to bridge lava channel  (Read 486 times)

Yes_Cantaloupe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
game crashes and unable to bridge lava channel
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:24:00 am »

I keep on getting the same game-crashing error in my most recent (and best, god damnit) fortress.

On a semi-related note, in the same game, I can't seem to bridge a lava channel.  I built it halfway, successfully bridged it, then finished it, and the game won't let be bridge it anymore.

Anyone know what's up with either of these?

edit; I've changed no files save init.txt, and it had these problems before that.  I've tried the save on a clean install, with no luck.

[ March 16, 2007: Message edited by: Yes_Cantaloupe ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: game crashes and unable to bridge lava channel
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

The unit file corruption usual comes from playing on after quitting the game in a non-standard way (ctrl-alt-del etc.).  There are many files that it is constantly changing, and it can't survive a crash.  Backing up the save folder as described in release_changes.txt is important.

I don't understand the bridge one.  How exactly is it stopping you from building a bridge?

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Valarauka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

IIRC, to be able to build a bridge over a channel it must at some point in its life have contained fluid - maybe that's your problem?

Yes_Cantaloupe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>The unit file corruption usual comes from playing on after quitting the game in a non-standard way (ctrl-alt-del etc.).  There are many files that it is constantly changing, and it can't survive a crash.  Backing up the save folder as described in release_changes.txt is important.

I don't understand the bridge one.  How exactly is it stopping you from building a bridge?</STRONG>

Okay, that's probably the problem.

The bridging thing is like so:

I built it partway, filled it with lava, bridged that part, cut the flow, finished the channel, then refilled it, and it won't allow me to build any further bridges across it (anywhere along its length).

Also ran into the bug that won't allow lava to flow across places where plants were growing.

[ March 17, 2007: Message edited by: Yes_Cantaloupe ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 05:17:00 am »

All right, I'll create a bug report for the bridging problem.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 03:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>The unit file corruption usual comes from playing on after quitting the game in a non-standard way (ctrl-alt-del etc.).  There are many files that it is constantly changing, and it can't survive a crash.  Backing up the save folder as described in release_changes.txt is important.</STRONG>

This new?  I've never had that kind of problem before (v0.23.123.23a is the most recent version I have).

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »

re magma channels and bridging:

I noticed the same behaviour. IIRC, the channel could be bridged upon the first time the channel ever going live with magma, but if it was ever switched off (then back on) it could not be bridged again... unless I filled that same channel with water.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 08:09:00 pm »

The corruption problem isn't new, it just doesn't happen all of the time.  You can quit out of the game with ctrl-alt-del many times and not have anything happen to your save, but the potential is there.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »

I had the corruption thing just now after I abandoned one of my forts and tried to make an adventurer in the same world. It didn't happen until I made the adventurer and wandered around a bit, but now my adventurer seems to not exist, and when I try to make a new one I get the error. I never ctrl-alt-deleted out, so I'm not sure what caused it.

No big deal in this case really, since I just went back to my old fort save, abandoned it again, made a new adventurer, and have had no trouble since. Just an oddity that it would happen suddenly and without apparent reason.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link