Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking on the boundary between good and evil  (Read 1828 times)

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking on the boundary between good and evil
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:02:37 pm »

Today, for the first time after my small break from DF, I generated a world which I found rather interesting... interesting in that there is a serene forest biome directly next to (and within!) a sinister biome of the same forest type.

Before looking at this map, I had never thought it would be possible to have an embark with both good and evil-aligned biomes, but it would seem this is actually possible! As I embarked, I thought to myself, "Well, maybe the game will gimp me out in some way and only give me the good creatures or the evil creatures." I was very happily proved wrong when I opened my unit screen to find a small army of zombie rhesus macaques headed toward my base while five unicorns pranced along happily in the distance.

Feather trees are growing even on the evil parts of the biome, and there are no glumprongs. I have yet to see either phantom spiders or fluffy wamblers; only rats and hedgehogs have made their appearances as far as vermin are concerned.

Unfortunately the embark did not have a volcano, but it does have a river and it's my first time playing a cold biome as well as an awesome level of biodiversity since I've got both the good and evil surroundings (high biodiversity is one of the first things I consider when starting a new fort.) I could've went with a terrifying mountain somewhere, but I think this is probably more interesting.

My question is this: are events like this rare? Do good and evil often occur in the same biome like it did in my case?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking on the boundary between good and evil
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:25:16 pm »

If you don't make your world with advanced parameters there's still a fair chance to get biome borders like the one you have. Its not common but not a rarity either (on a medium sized world).

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:33:03 pm »

i don't know how rare they are naturally at a standard worldgen, but i push the limits on both good and evil, just so i get places like this on most of my worlds, because i like having access to both good and evil plants, wood, and critters. (i've even given humans the option to use good and evil everything so they can bring me some if i don't find any on my own...)

the only thing i don't like is the apparent actual dead zones you can get with some evil biomes, where everything's dead, no living plants will ever grow there, all the trees are dead (and never any glumprong among those dead trees, oddly), and the only creatures i ever see in these areas are zombie/skeletal. very disappointing when looking to get your hands on a few ogres or beakdogs. and the, for me, ever elusive sliver barb...humans bring me the dye and the booze, but never the plant or the seeds, damn them, and the only time i've ever harvested one was right before a trio of ogres arrived to kill my starter dwarves while the miners were still digging the first few rooms, post initial stockpile

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:32:19 pm »

Have fun with the skeletal unicorns.

elctropenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • The one true electric penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:14:31 pm »

right now I'm looking at a serene Forrest zone and a sinsinter zone only two fuckin squares apart damn you game engine!!!
SO MANY FREAKIN HARPYS!!! OH THE PAIN!!!! (last words of urist mcducan as he vainly tried to stem the tied of none stop harpy kamikazes)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:54:17 pm »

They're not only possible, but my most-favored embarks.  You get both crittersets.  (Current one: mirthful ocean, good swamp, evil conifer forest, or something like that.)

right now I'm looking at a serene Forrest zone and a sinsinter zone only two fuckin squares apart damn you game engine!!!

Look up the worldgen cookbook thread.  It's pretty easy to get a "fractal"-type world.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:31:21 am »

Have fun with the skeletal unicorns.
FFFFRGL

THERE ARE NO SKELETAL UNICORNS
くコ:彡

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:26:55 am »

There will be, there will be.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.