Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bacon Tree  (Read 17402 times)

mimmfantry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bacon Tree
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:28 pm »

Most people in America drink grain based vodka made from common cereal grains like wheat and barley (the most wonderful grains in the world) so they do actually end up with a flavor of sorts from the grains, even the so called high quality stuff like Grey Goose or Mount Gay. Vodka is almost never made with potatoes anymore, its too hard to control the conditions in which its fermented to achieve an across the board uniform consistency for mass production. Its why I don't use vodka in my mixed drinks, I'm kinda sensitive to the flavors of grains like that and can still taste them after mixing, mmm the delicious taste of multi grain cheerios in my screwdriver....

taro8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 12:08:11 pm »

Maybe minable becon? Or monsters made out of bacon?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 02:54:32 pm »

Well, I confess that I never was a big fan of vodka so I am not very familiar with the natural flavor of various types.  When I wanted neutral spirits for home use, I brought home 95% reagent grade from the laboratory.  Mostly I drank wine and beer, and when I did drink hard liquour I preferred more flavorful types such as gin and rum.  I do remember that when I dated a man who liked to drink screwdrivers, he insisted on Smirnoff's vodka because the others gave him a headache.  I never could taste anything but the orange juice in his screwdrivers.  I notice that Smirnoff's is described on the Internet as triply distilled.  That may have something to do with it.  The "white lightning" that I once made from corn mash did indeed taste of the corn, but it was only doubly distilled.  Perhaps many of the commercial vodkas are not triply distilled.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 03:03:59 pm »

This little mod has great flavor text.
*Ba dum tish*

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 05:34:25 pm »

Bacon makes everything taste better, but only maple syrup makes bacon taste better!
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 06:57:53 pm »

Not minable bacon, but perhaps minable fruitcake.  This seems a bit more appropriate.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 07:09:15 pm »

BACON.
... overwhelming urge to add this to an otherwise basic, vanilla game.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 04:36:41 pm »

Terry Pratchett kinda beat us to that one... in The Fifth Elephant.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 08:38:09 pm »

Terry Pratchett kinda beat us to that one... in The Fifth Elephant.

that page sadly doesn't even mention bacon, but i did find this : " 'What is so surprising about bacon?' 'I don't know. I suppose it comes as something of a shock to the pig.' " - Death and War, Interesting Times, pg. 264
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 01:20:23 pm »

I think that the S.LA.D.E Communal Modding Project thread actually already has mineable meat.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 01:55:56 pm »

Was I the only one waiting for the goblins to attack and ye olde "thats not a bacon tree, its a hambush" instead?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 02:03:29 pm »

Hmmm. Interesting. But I think it's still producing a plant product. With a bit more tweaking I think we could get it to produce actual pig meat.

Don't have time to poke around with it right now, but I'll look into when I have a chance.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 02:09:58 pm »

Correct, it is a technical plant product, but I think with a bit of working it could be meat.  Still, it IS a plant, so storing it with plants kinda makes sense, yes?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 04:22:55 pm »

Hmmm. Played around with it a little bit and I got bacon to drop with a muscle template instead of the normal plant template. Problem is the game has no idea of what it should be categorized as for stockpiles. So they can harvest it and eat/cook it, but they don't know where to put it.

Ah, well. Interesting experiment. Might have to come back to it at some point. See if there is a tag I can add that'll let them stockpile it somewhere. Maybe make them count it as a leaf?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 04:30:28 pm »

Correct, it is a technical plant product, but I think with a bit of working it could be meat.  Still, it IS a plant, so storing it with plants kinda makes sense, yes?

If only bacon were a vegetable...
Pages: 1 [2] 3