Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The most welcomed type of DF development for me...

are new features
- 103 (44.6%)
is bugfixing
- 55 (23.8%)
are FPS improvements
- 73 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The most welcomed type of DF development  (Read 6195 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
The most welcomed type of DF development
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:06:18 am »

I am very interested in results.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most welcomed type of DF development
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:55:24 am »

New features. DF is an alpha.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:59 am »

I wouldn't object to a 6 month feature freeze for bugfixing and performance enhancments.
edit: wait, not that kind of performance enhancement

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:00:14 am »

Bug fixes, DF is in alpha. It is important that DF is built in a way that is open for expansion and without bugs, as that way development, even post initial 'offical' release, will be quicker.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:32:37 am »

Features and bugfixes would be great, too, but I'll vote for FPS. Every fort so far that lasted some time, came to the point of being unenjoyably slow after a few decades (30 years is the highest i could bear with, running at 15 fps with 150 dwarfs in the end). I'd really like to do something like that 200 year fort with big family trees and everything, but in 3.18 that's rather unfeasible (unless low pop-cap and possibly walling the edges to stop new objects from entering the map).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:35:09 am »

Bugfixing, because we need the features we have to work before new features get inevitably added.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:01:20 am »

Every fort I've had and enjoyed has died a FPS death eventually. Its a shame that even when you take time to do your best to keep the FPS high (in some cases "removing" features by, for example, not using running water or magma), it still dies.
Losing is fun when it isn't predictable, but when you start a fort inevitably knowing that even if it is all going well, you will eventually fail, is a bit disappointing.

But I do still enjoy the game, I can just see why people might want things instead of new features for a while.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 03:52:44 pm »

Although I love new features, I had to vote bug fixing.  I haven't played DF in quite a while as I'm waiting for military training bugs to be fixed before starting on my next fortress.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:01:15 pm »

are new features
    - 16 (31.4%)
is bugfixing
    - 18 (35.3%)
are FPS improvements
    - 17 (33.3%)

We have a divided community. I say we should solve our differences in the field of battle. :D

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 04:16:26 pm »

It is an alpha.  I welcome them all, of course, and the game will need them all.  The poll isn't specific in this (and is this poll going to close after a set period of time?) but there's a difference between asking what people want to see Toady do the most right now, as opposed to asking which of those three are most important overall.

A couple versions with their bugfixes, features, and whatever will change how people feel about each of those things.  This is at best a snapshot.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »

It's a third for each. I'm more welcome to new features, but it's not much use if they're broken. Any addition is welcome for me, at any time.

A 6 month feature free bugfix extravaganza is a bit too far, though. I think the current caravan arc schedule is the best: smaller releases followed by a week or two of bugfixing, general improvements.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »

The three are necessary. Objectively, bug fixes are the most needed ones, so as to build on stable bases.

But what I welcome with the most warmth is new features, in my egocentric self-centered pleasure.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 05:35:32 pm »

I'd say FPS improvements.

Because I want to be able to do a 10x10 embark with weather, temperature, and a large population of dwarves without it playing like a slideshow. FPS improvements mean that other features can get more use, such as all of the improvements with temperature and weather, along with ghosts and digging too deep.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:41:13 pm »

New features all the way!  I like new things, not streamlined, efficient old things!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:34 pm »

New features all the way!  I like new things, not streamlined, efficient old things!

I interpret this as "I like new things, even if they never actually work right!"
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5