Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The most welcomed type of DF development for me...

are new features
- 103 (44.6%)
is bugfixing
- 55 (23.8%)
are FPS improvements
- 73 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The most welcomed type of DF development  (Read 6194 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: The most welcomed type of DF development
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 09:53:44 pm »

Wait. So you claim that you know DF is inefficient, that it's going to continue to get less efficient, and you're actually asking what the problem is? The problem is that only a small subset of users can maintain successful fortresses without disabling key features or otherwise severely limiting themselves. That is, in fact, a problem. The game sorely lacks optimization. Whether this should be a priority or not is another question.

Can only a small subset of users use the game without having to turn off features?

I mean, why don't we poll that? It seems a bit less prone to people's emotional state. Even if decent fps is different per person.

Besides, this poll is horribly under-optionated. I want a better UI above all these other options, but it isn't there. And the people who want better graphical support don't count because there's a gazillion visualisers?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 10:00:12 pm »

A UI counts as a feature, if not the same type of feature we're generally thinking of.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 10:01:36 pm »

I'm all for new features as priority just so long as bugs eventually get fixed. After all, this is alpha, the major bugs probably will be gone by 1.0 -- or even beta. Bring on the new features! *runs before DF veterans come at him going HNNNNNNNNGH*

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 10:48:07 pm »

A UI counts as a feature, if not the same type of feature we're generally thinking of.
wut?

UI is a feature?

Have you actually LOOKED at the UI of DF lately? No, wait, you probly haven't, because you've been playing the game too long, just like people don't see bugs because they've become so efficient at avoiding them, just like how people won't feel the need for optimisation because they play by rules of the fps.

I'm not even going to bother with this further, considering the respect I received.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 10:49:30 pm »

wut?

UI is a feature?

Have you actually LOOKED at the UI of DF lately? No, wait, you probly haven't, because you've been playing the game too long, just like people don't see bugs because they've become so efficient at avoiding them, just like how people won't feel the need for optimisation because they play by rules of the fps.

I'm not even going to bother with this further, considering the respect I received.

... Jesus, you don't have to get all pissed off.

I was just saying that the user interface of a game is a feature unto itself. I am not saying that DF's current user interface is good, and I have no idea why you're reading that into what I said.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 11:24:03 pm »

wut?

UI is a feature?

... Jesus, you don't have to get all pissed off.

I was just saying that the user interface of a game is a feature unto itself. I am not saying that DF's current user interface is good, and I have no idea why you're reading that into what I said.
If someone is making a thread that basically goes camp a VS camp b VS camp c. And someone comes in and says 'hey what about camp d?'
Then it's perhaps not a good idea to say something that might be interpeted 'oh camp d, that's just camp a material'. Because if you meant it differently, I'm really really going to suggest that you proofread your stuff next time.

And yes, I'm sorry, UI's do trigger me at the moment, because I have to deal with fucking adobe products all day, made by a multi-million dollar software developments company, who can't be arsed to design a half-way decent UI for half of their tools, because it would alienate the userbase.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 11:28:04 pm »

You're missing the point. The point is that we're distinguishing between more game features, a game that runs better, or a game that is more technically robust. These are all non-overlapping categories (for the most part). "UI" fits into "game features"; yes, it's a very specific type of game feature, and might deserve mentioning on its own, but it's still a feature.

Honestly, I just think you're overreacting. I'm really not trying to downplay the importance of a good user interface, or anything like that.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 02:01:47 am »

I am very interested in results.
It feels like we get a thread like this every time a feature release comes out
Check time please. I posted it before .19.

Besides, this poll is horribly under-optionated. I want a better UI above all these other options, but it isn't there.
Lack of UI option? *facepalm*
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:04:54 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 02:19:33 am »

If the whiners could claim they know better than Toady about what is best or not for his game I would be in their forum playing their games.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 07:45:27 am »

If the whiners could claim they know better than Toady about what is best or not for his game I would be in their forum playing their games.

Ah, the old "if you can't do it better and aren't doing it better, then you cannot possibly provide any useful advice, criticism, or feedback". Such a fallacious and silly argument.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 07:55:05 am »

Ah, the old "if you can't do it better and aren't doing it better, then you cannot possibly provide any useful advice, criticism, or feedback". Such a fallacious and silly argument.

Whiners don't provide anything of these things (useful advice, criticism, or feedback), they just whine.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 07:57:44 am »

Okay? I usually don't see too many people like that, though. Most of the time, when I see people criticizing the game (or praising it, for that matter), it's for legitimate reasons.

Romtos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 08:00:45 am »

Whiners don't provide anything of these things (useful advice, criticism, or feedback), they just whine.
So your contribution to the discussion is "People doing activity A aren't doing activity B, instead they do activity A"?
I mean, if you claimed that "People pretending to do activity A are actually doing activity B", that would add something.
You're just stating the obvious.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 08:13:56 am »

I'm not whining, I'm pretty happy with df development.  I was just answering a question.  To me, fixing those nagging bugs that have been around for a while is more important than new features.  Other people want new stuff.  Nothing wrong with that, just a different opinion.  I'll be happy as long as the game remains playable and Toady keeps working on it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2011, 10:16:29 am »

A lot of people got offended, but I didn't called everyone here a whiner. It's all over the forum, and it's really annoying. I don't know if they are a vocal minoority or even a majority, but I don't think it will make any good for the game development. Toady is more and more distant from the forum and I think he is right. Who followed development of other games know that in most cases this always happen.

People can't seem to grasp the very idea the game is in current development - old features will be broken, others would change, new one will appear,and bugs will always be very common.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5