Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The most welcomed type of DF development for me...

are new features
- 103 (44.6%)
is bugfixing
- 55 (23.8%)
are FPS improvements
- 73 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The most welcomed type of DF development  (Read 6193 times)

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most welcomed type of DF development
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2011, 09:01:02 am »

The requests for opening Dwarf Fortress's core code to encourage modding of game mechanics
Modding - see Genesis, Dfence mod etc. It have NOTHING to do with open source. Of course open source will not happen.
This.
That's why I called it a compromise. I was thinking along the lines of moving more stuff into the raws, making the raws themselves a more powerful data definition language, getting away from the "only 256 different tiles to choose from" paradigm, etc. Basically go search out some of Mayday's suggestion posts, he has some of the best modding suggestions.

(Not that I wouldn't love to get my grubby mitts on some of that sweet sweet DF code if Toady ever had a change of heart... :P)

(I probably wouldn't even be able to read it. I wouldn't need to. Just knowing what it was would be enough. I would put it on a thumb drive and keep it under my pillow. Caress it when I'm feeling down. You like that don't you. You like that don't you you dirty little C++. I want to lick you in every last one of your namespaces. I want to gather up your pointers and...  ...        ...        ...)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2011, 12:08:11 pm »

The UI being reworked and bugs being squashed are my two big interests, although I won't oppose developing my filth suggestion. Particularly, the stockpiles no longer make sense. Smashed bugs are in the same category as dyes, gnome poison and lye, competing for space with alcohol and raw fish. Additionally I still can't figure out how to bejewel weapons and armor, but its easy to accidentally encrust millstones with rubies.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2011, 02:45:50 pm »

Remember that not all of these things are mutually exclusive.  Toady seems to be doing a decent job at the balancing act.  I think we can all agree that DF needs more work :)

The FPS issues with items on the map are somewhat more troubling.  Could be caused by rotting calculations, or if there is something strange with stockpile code. 

...I still can't figure out how to bejewel weapons and armor, but its easy to accidentally encrust millstones with rubies.
While slightly off-topic, I am fairly certain there is no way to do this.  Encrusted weapons and armor show up through trade and in adventure mode though.
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]