Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 165684 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #390 on: February 19, 2011, 10:13:52 am »

It's just occurred to me that since trolls have black skin and white fur, as well as horns, they might resemble a monstrous humanoid sheep.

I was then reminded of this film;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:27:51 am by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 19, 2011, 12:03:18 pm »

I can't imagine trolls looking like anything else.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 19, 2011, 12:15:41 pm »

That is pretty much it.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 19, 2011, 12:38:18 pm »

Idea: somebody donates and requests a crayon drawing of a troll.

I'd do it, but I can't easily receive letters.

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 19, 2011, 01:12:58 pm »

Small item wishlist:
* Ability to look for coal and sand in the site finder.
* Standing order for dwarves to not collect eggs from nest boxes.
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2011, 03:08:47 pm »

Small item wishlist:
* Ability to look for coal and sand in the site finder.
* Standing order for dwarves to not collect eggs from nest boxes.

I think we would be better with a designation that allows certain nest to automatically make eggs in them forbidden vs forbidding all at once or allowing all at once.

Would allow much finer control over what you are hatching and how much of what you are hatching.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 19, 2011, 03:49:03 pm »

Idea: somebody donates and requests a crayon drawing of a troll.

I'd do it, but I can't easily receive letters.

i'd say that's an awesome idea

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 19, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »

So toady's saying that metals will still be limited but there are trade etc. alternatives...?

That's ok... I suppose... I mean, the problem at the moment is you're SO LIMITED. Like 1 or 2 or NO ores... the entire map is FILLED with them... but only that 1 or 2 ore. (or none. Then the entire map is empty)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 19, 2011, 04:50:38 pm »

I drew this rendition of a troll based upon their creature description and from having looked at a troll's skin, hair and eye colour in game.

DF trolls have both tusks and horns, black skin, and white or grey fur. They are humanoid, but I'm not sure exactly how much. Of course they also have cyan blood for some reason, so I assume some parts of their complexion are pale blue (such as lips, veins close to the surface, near the eyes and so on.

I wasn't sure this troll that I've drawn is hairy enough; they may look more like how you might imagine an abominable snowman looks.

That's pretty cool, looks alot like a Japanese Oni.

I really like the mythological creatures from around the world (although I'm more in love with Chinese, Indian, and Japanese myth now, just because they're so "weird" compared to the stuff I've seen in Greek and Norse myth, although Irish stuff is new to me, as well), and like moving away from the Tolkienian stuff that is so common in fantasy. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 19, 2011, 05:38:43 pm »

Just a thought: could this lack of metals be tied into Alchemy for a future release? Convert useless materials like gold and platinum into useful ones like hematite.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2011, 05:42:33 pm »

Convert useless materials like gold and platinum into useful ones like hematite.

Make it gold to lead, and whole generations of alchemists will spin in their graves. :D

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2011, 06:45:51 pm »

Just a thought: could this lack of metals be tied into Alchemy for a future release? Convert useless materials like gold and platinum into useful ones like hematite.

that's called trading

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 19, 2011, 06:56:25 pm »

I was so happy yesterday, a goblin was kind enough to let himself be smooshed by a rock trap, and left behind a dingy, snot covered steel spear for me...but, of course, before a single dwarf could run over and pick it up, the coons stole it.

Damned thievin' coons...how's that design for the racoon catapult launcher trap coming, Toady?  :o

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2011, 06:57:01 pm »

That's pretty cool, looks alot like a Japanese Oni.

I really like the mythological creatures from around the world (although I'm more in love with Chinese, Indian, and Japanese myth now, just because they're so "weird" compared to the stuff I've seen in Greek and Norse myth, although Irish stuff is new to me, as well), and like moving away from the Tolkienian stuff that is so common in fantasy.

That's one of the reasons I like the randomized creatures so much. Crazy-ass folklore monsters (like the Penanggalan: wikipedia describes it as "[A] detached female head that is capable of flying about on its own. As it flies, the stomach and entrails dangle below it, and these organs twinkle like fireflies as the Penanggalan moves through the night.") really don't get enough love in most media nowadays.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2011, 07:16:47 pm »

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36