Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Star Control 2 sequel: Children of Infinity  (Read 88 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Star Control 2 sequel: Children of Infinity
« on: Today at 12:45:16 am »

I don't know how many of you remember Star Control 2, the Ur-Quan masters from the nineties?
It was a space-rpg with arcade like combat and a high dose of humor. For me it probably even ranks above DF in the list of best games ever.
It looks like it is finally getting a sequel by it's original creators. The new game will be called Free Stars: Children of Infinity.

It looks like it will stay very close to the original, with a retro feel, and the same arcade combat and humor.

They currently have a kickstarter going, which is already fully funded, but there are always stretch goals that would be very nice to have, so they can certainly use more support. The kickstarter page can be found here :
Kickstarter Children of Infinity
The kickstarter is currently probably the best source of information on the game, but they also have a website here:
website

I hear some of you think "but have there not been other sequels"
Yes, that is true, there have been, but they were not made by the original people and have received very mixed reviews

Star control 3 was made by Accolade after Toys for Bob lost the rights to the series. It is generally considered to be a dissapointment by fans, and the new game will likely act as if this whole thing never happened.

More recently Star Control Origins was made by Stardock. This is a very decent and fun game in my opinion, but takes place in a different universe with none of the original aliens and storylines.

Stardock does have the IP rights for the Star Control name, but not to the original content that Toys for Bob created. For the new game this is the other way around, the creators of the original game can and will use the old content and storylines, but can't use the Star Control name.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Control 2 sequel: Children of Infinity
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:22:22 pm »

I would join the kickstarter. But they don't have a regular way to pay without credit card in this day and age. So I'll just get it on steam.