Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 141

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 606338 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #1500 on: October 08, 2021, 11:37:36 am »

I don't mind demos/limited free weekends all that much, but that's because there aren't that many in the thread. Excluding them seems like a good idea.

Epic giveaways, OTOH? No. They fit the criteria of many of the older posts in the thread - indeed, the main reason I keep up-to-date on the thread is to find out about storefronts doing promotional giveaways. Those feel absolutely in the spirit of the thread, and have been a mainstay for a very long time. I personally don't have anything to do with Epic, for a combination of stubborn/inconsistent ideological reason, and the simple acknowledgement that I really don't need more games so restricting a very prolific giver-away helps limit my digital hoarding, but Epic giveaways fit right in. The best argument against them I can see is that they always have a giveaway going, and you can thus reliably check on their storefront if you're interested in them, but while that feels like a reasonable argument, it doesn't feel like a compelling one.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 08, 2021, 12:00:26 pm »

free demo
While I appreciate what you are doing, this thread is about actually free games. Let's keep the thread on track, shall we?
The free demo lags 2 or 3 updates behind the main game, and keeps getting updated when the main game updates, so basically it is a full game you are getting for free.

EDIT: oh oops, that is Songs of Syx not Hero's Hour that has the updates along the main game
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:06:07 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: October 08, 2021, 12:14:55 pm »

Many stores are making it easier for developers to sell their game (itch.io by example that specialize in that, or those steam "early access" thingies) so normal freeware are becoming very rare, and if you look in open source games that are usually free, it seems there are less of them too, as if you look in the usual "best open source games" threads over the internet every months, it's always the same titles since years , hinting that -new- open source games must be as rare.

It's probably why we see in this thread a lot more of those "free forever if claimed in a limited time" or "free for a few days only" type of free games.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 08, 2021, 08:30:02 pm »

I quite like seeing the "free for limited time" games here because it's just very useful.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 08, 2021, 09:00:07 pm »

I quite like seeing the "free for limited time" games here because it's just very useful.
+1
I've picked up a few free games thanks to those posts in the last several months. Thanks guys!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Überzwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 14, 2021, 04:38:31 pm »

I also think they fit well here.

But for not missing any game I'm using this reddit sub:
https://old.reddit.com/r/GameDealsFree/

EDIT: I was reading this as free to keep, not free weekend.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:10:33 pm by Überzwerg »

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #1506 on: October 14, 2021, 05:31:33 pm »

+1
I've picked up a few free games thanks to those posts in the last several months. Thanks guys!

+2

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1507 on: October 14, 2021, 07:13:57 pm »

I like the Free to Keep posts, but the limited time ones are basically Demos to me.
I'd never put in enough hours in a weekend (typical play for free for limited time) to call it a free game instead of a demo.
But that doesn't necessarily mean others don't.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: October 14, 2021, 07:44:19 pm »

I ended up playing northgard during it's free session, and while I didn't finish it, I got near enough the end to realize the clusterfuck that last level was, and that I had no desire to actually work out how to finish it.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 15, 2021, 02:30:57 am »

Anyway, Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse is free on Epic this week. If we're still doing that.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: October 15, 2021, 03:15:11 am »

I'd say it's all useful. It's not like this thread is at risk of overflowing with content.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: October 15, 2021, 10:51:55 am »

I gave a try to this Stubbs freebie, i heard about it at some point as it was said to have some original ideas and gameplay but it was on console so i never played it.

Basically my experience with this console port is that the PC version is freezing on an irregular basis (as in it's not happening at the same locations, can randomly freeze early or let you play for half a hour ... ) for no obvious reason (as the engine does not even struggle and run very smoothly, not surprising after all the game is from 2005).

I googled to see if by any stroke of unluck it was my system, but no it's just the way that console port is :
https://steamcommunity.com/app/7800/discussions/0/3074243590159963337/

One that really wants to play this game may want to give a try to the DXVK dlls (it redirect directx calls into vulkan ones) apparently :
https://steamcommunity.com/app/7800/discussions/0/5312531598984937656/?ctp=3#c5312531598985254951
Download DXVK from the official repo : https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

Extract dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll from the x64 folder, and put them in the game folder. Now just start the game.
DXVK is part of Valve's Proton project. Its primary purpose is to make games work on Linux, but can be used on Windows too.

Or according to some people, put the executable of that game in Window 7 compatibility , should solve several of the freezing case (funny as on the system requirement this Stubbs game is window 10 only :D ) .
But i don't care about this game enough to give a try.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:58:09 am by Robsoie »

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #1512 on: October 15, 2021, 12:27:26 pm »

I like the Free to Keep posts, but the limited time ones are basically Demos to me.
I'd never put in enough hours in a weekend (typical play for free for limited time) to call it a free game instead of a demo.
But that doesn't necessarily mean others don't.

+1

I thought it ment the ones where you have like this weekend to claim forever.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1513 on: October 15, 2021, 01:52:32 pm »

+1

I thought it ment the ones where you have like this weekend to claim forever.
Most of those limited time freebie posts have been, but a few haven't been free forever once claimed.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: October 15, 2021, 05:34:52 pm »

The weekend games are just time limited demo's and nothing else. It just happens the demos are complete games, which has been done before. More than 2 decades before. Wasn't it Spiderwebsoft that just limited turns for demo mode but the whole game is just right there?
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 141