Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 141

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 605902 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #1770 on: September 22, 2022, 10:32:15 am »

wait is it ark with all the dlc? they tend to cost the price of the basegame?!

I got like most of the content of ark in sale once, but never got quite hooked... It's a wiki game but my pal allready knew all the stuff... I've never felt so useless. And it's so goddamn grindy too.

It looks like it could be hella fun... But I never quite got there.

On the topic of epic: another launcher isn't great and I'm certainly no data scientist, but I never had an issue with epic; origin on the other hand is an absolute piece of trash and I commonly had issues with my internet connection when it was installed.
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: September 22, 2022, 10:39:18 am »

Looks like all the DLC are free, that's a lot of game worlds
I have no idea if they are free only during the week or are free even when Ark is back at being commercial.
edit : looks like all those dlc are always free, as on steam Ark is to be paid for but all the dlc are free.

Time to remind people that are repelled by the idea of installing the epic launcher with all the controversies they heard about it :
Legendary is a legal and open source alternative to the epic launcher that allow you to play the games you own on the epic store without ever having to install the epic launcher.
Why is that, btw? If Epic was really as evil as they say, they'd make you install their launcher whereas they seem to have an open API.
(Also what is up with GOG Galaxy? It will show you your Epic Games, but it won't install them. Does it at least launch them if installed with EL?)

I think the source of the controversy was that Tencent is owning of 40% of Epic Games, and Tencent isn't exactly having a clean record ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent#Controversies ) .
And from there suspicion of potential spyware for data collection within the epic launcher started somewhere on reddit with people reporting odd network behaviour with the epic launcher. 

Was there real truth hidden in there or was all those networking stuff absolutely normal, i have no idea, the guys at Epic say that there's nothing fishy and some people will say that it's actually very fishy.
I guess that's the same thing when people discovered that steam was scanning their hard drive to collect "harmless" data.

Basically using the steam or epic launcher is a matter of how much you trust those company i guess. And why i'm so glad there's a genius that created Legendary so i don't have to deal with the idea of something fishy or not, i just used Legendary.
I wonder if Epic will give that guy a big donation because Legendary has certainly given an incentive to people not being trusting the epic launcher to still use their epic store

I just wish there would be no need at all of any kind of launcher, steam, epic, origin, whatever to play a game you purchased nowadays.
At least gog has the offline installers so their galaxy launcher is not needed.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:44:21 am by Robsoie »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: September 22, 2022, 10:48:04 am »

As I recall, a lot of the reddit stuff was people not understanding how computers work with stuff like HTTPS certificates.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 24, 2022, 02:47:14 am »

Looks like all the DLC are free, that's a lot of game worlds
I have no idea if they are free only during the week or are free even when Ark is back at being commercial.
edit : looks like all those dlc are always free, as on steam Ark is to be paid for but all the dlc are free.
The map packs are free, but the story/additional content ones are not - Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction (the three of which now seem to be bundled together as the base "Season Pass"), and Genesis.  It looks like this is still the same on both Steam and Epic. 

I think that for survival crafting games, ARK is a decent if not especially stand-out example of the genre, and it has dinosaurs.  That said, I'm not entirely sure it's very well-optimized.  As noted in the warning to watch your hard drive space, the files for this game consume an impressive 278 GB of space on my machine, and it looks like comparing to others, it typically ends up ranked as the largest game by file size.  Still, free is a good price, and one can likely extract a good amount of time and fun out of just the base game and free DLC if one enjoys the genre.  I can't speak for playing it with other people, though, since I don't; I play it alone.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 02:50:28 am by Culise »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 24, 2022, 05:02:51 am »

From what i read even if the "story" part is lacking from the DLC, the new items/dinosaurs from the "season pass" thingy are present in the free DLC maps too.

The optimization is more about how well it run (assuming of course you play with settings that correspond to your hardware) on low end PC now, i remember reading how a horrible performance trainwreck it was originally, but seeing it being that smooth on my system (on low settings) is something i really didn't expected.

But in term of file size optimisation it's certainly not really optimized, the installed directory for the base game is +/- 125gb (without the DLC that multiply that by 2 or 3 from what i read) that feature The Island as the game world.

As a comparison, a game world i find visually more impressive than The Island in Ark is Panau in Just Cause 2 (that of course has people, cars and trucks instead of dinosaurs) and its installed directory is near to +/- 5gb only.

Now for game world size, i can't say as i only saw a very small area of The Island in Ark, but Panau in Just Cause was ridiculously gigantic.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: September 24, 2022, 05:08:41 am »

well tbf when ark hit the steam store you were royalty if you had a gtx970
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: September 24, 2022, 06:17:52 pm »

For people playing Ark on single player, here's an interesting article on settings that fit more the solo play than the default ones :
https://old.reddit.com/r/ARK/comments/k94zbq/how_to_turn_ark_into_a_singleplayer_game/

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: September 29, 2022, 12:00:57 pm »

This week on the epic store the freebies are :
"Runbow" that is a multiplayer platformer mixed with some smash bros and platform racing sections, reminds me of a flash game i played a decade ago.
"Drone Racing League Simulator", that is apparently very realistic in the drones behaviour, though i guess it requires a controller for best experience as apparently you can't rebind the keys if you're on keyboard.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:05:47 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: September 29, 2022, 12:32:35 pm »

Master of Magic Classic (i guess classic in comparison to the other version that has a mod turned commercial merged into it and that name escape me) is available to claim for free for on gog.

Note : i remember last time i played it many years ago there was kyrub's patch that was fixing a lot of issues and was also improving the AI.
No idea if it's still around, but worth a try if you find the default AI too easy.
edit: it's still there but may require an account now if the alternate download does not work
http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=3663
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:38:05 pm by Robsoie »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: September 29, 2022, 03:14:39 pm »

The commercialized mod would be Caster of Magic, if I remember correctly. And it comes in two flavors, DOS(-Box) and Windows(you have to pay for both). Honestly never was really interested in it partly because of that, plus some of the changes I heard about didn't sound that great.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: September 30, 2022, 07:00:27 am »

I think non-classic is the remake of the same name. It's made by MuHA (the Thea guys.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1781 on: September 30, 2022, 09:21:49 am »

Yea, MoM is now the remake, Bleh.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: September 30, 2022, 09:37:11 am »

The commercialized mod would be Caster of Magic, if I remember correctly. And it comes in two flavors, DOS(-Box) and Windows(you have to pay for both). Honestly never was really interested in it partly because of that, plus some of the changes I heard about didn't sound that great.
looking around it seems that was Caster of Magic i was thinking about indeed, started with it being an unofficial patch + a mod, until both were merged and became a commercial modification of Master of Magic.
Review seems 50/50 on how good or bad it is, but kyrub's Insecticide patch is enough for me for an improved MoM .

Many games have claimed the spot of remaking Master of Magic and so far none did as good (not talking about the visual part of course).

My only MuHa game was Thea2 (when it was free on gog) that while was having some good concepts was unfortunately drowned with lots of annoyances (the card system used for the combat wasn't really good, development felt too slow (slower than usual 4x) to engage the player, the atmosphere felt very lacking and more generic with the  slavic monster names being the only thing trying to be different).

But my main problem with Thea2 is how poorly the engine was running, isometric view running badly despite the visual aren't really something to dream about, the constant 100% GPU on everything (at least on AMD as from what i google some people with NVidia apparently didn't had that problem, or not to that extent as lots of talksabout the game not running smoothly regardless), including full 2D screens and main menu was ridiculous, overheating the system for nothing...

So it's not really making me enthousiastic to see yet another Master of Magic inspired game, and one that is made by MuHa.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:42:30 am by Robsoie »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: October 02, 2022, 04:41:49 am »

Your mom is a remake!
Love, scriver~

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1784 on: October 02, 2022, 02:12:15 pm »

Your mom is a remake!
Yes, of my Grandmother and Grandfather. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 141