Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 140

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 598139 times)

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Free Game List
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:57:03 am »

EDIT: Toady has deemed this thread worthy of a sticky. Keep it clean guys, please. As Toady himself stated:

I'm tentatively stickying this.  If the list attracts abandonware or other "free" games, I'll have to take it down entirely.

In light of this, please do not link to abandonware websites, and remove any links to such that you see. Keep in mind, if that stuff starts to show up, it will get this list removed.

---

This is a list of free games, to try to keep the threads about 'What are good free games' down some, and to help people find something fun to try out. I set this up in a google docs spreadsheet with editing enabled for everyone, so that me disappearing for a while won't kill the project. This also means it has to be community moderated. If the list starts to get spammed, I will lock down editing permissions, but anyone who PMs me for access with their Gmail or Google Docs account will be set up for full editing permissions. Locked down again due to someone being a jerk. I don't expect to unlock it after this. If you want edit rights, PM or email me with your Google Docs information. I know full well that I'm not constantly around to keep this up to date, so additional editors would be good. I'm sure there's better setups for this, but this method has worked so far. If someone comes up with something better, contact me via PM or post in here so it can be discussed.

No abandonware, no torrents, none of that 'free' stuff of questionable legality. Freemium is fine, just make sure to label it as such.
Anyone who spots links that aren't allowed, please remove them. If possible, replace them with legitimate links (some games ARE actually released for free by their developers after a while). Not following this rule will get this thread removed.

---

Genre organization:

Genre | Type | Sub-Types

Genre will be sort of an overarching theme to the game. Predefined, pick ONE that best fits: Strategy, RPG, Action, MMO, Adventure

Type will be a more refined and specific genre to help clarify how the game will play. The 'types' can also be used, if they take a secondary role. (Type: MMO | Genre: RPG) Examples: Roguelike, 4x, RTS, TBS, Platformer, Simulation.

Sub-Types will be used to help give a good idea of what kind of flavor the game has, or what kind of environment it's in (i.e. 'zombie', 'space', 'mecha', 'satire'). Just put down words that describe the game, this is a catch-all column.

---

Please keep in mind before you apply filters or sort, such things affect everyone viewing the document. Please remove any filters you apply after using them, and if you are going to use them you should announce it via chat. - I'm pretty sure guests are unable to apply filters.

---

Free Game List

---

All users will appear as 'Anonymous ####' unless they are adding explicitly to the share list. Google docs requires an email address for this, though I think you can setup an account for JUST google docs. PM me the address you want put in the list, if you want to be added.

---

This thread has several non-Bay12 free games lists scattered throughout it. They are of varying quality, and the person who put them up usually has comments about them as well. I do not intend to list them here since this is meant to be a list by Bay12, for Bay12, but if this list isn't enough for you know that there are many more waiting after a small amount of looking.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:03:13 pm by creodor »
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free Games Thread Thing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:54 am »

This is a good idea, if we could just get this stickied.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:37 pm »

Motion seconded, this or something like it should be made sticky
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:18:55 pm »

Yes. This thread should be stickied.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:43 pm »

I don't think Master of Magic is free; I've been wanting to get into it but so far I've only seen it for sale.

Also, if it helps, please Sticky
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 01:28:16 pm »

I've thought now and then about what kind of thread could possibly be sticky-worthy on Other Games but couldn't come up with much. This VERY MUCH deserves it.

Edit: also, browsing the list, I just stumbled across FreeCol. There goes my afternoon...
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 02:35:51 pm »

Thoughts on Genre organization:

Genre | Type | Sub-Types

Genre will be sort of an overarching theme to the game. Predefined, pick ONE that best fits: Strategy, RPG, Action, MMO, Adventure

Type will be a more refined and specific genre to help clarify how the game will play. The 'types' can also be used, if they take a secondary role. (Type: MMO | Genre: RPG) Examples: Roguelike, 4x, RTS, TBS, Platformer, Simulation.

Sub-Types will be used to help give a good idea of what kind of flavor the game has, or what kind of environment it's in (i.e. 'zombie', 'space', 'mecha', 'freemium', 'satire').

Thoughts? Suggestions? Hatred for the very concept?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:45:42 pm by creodor »
Free Game List

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 02:40:58 pm »

I've got some games that could be added, how would I go about adding them? Just type them in?

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 02:42:29 pm »

Go to a new row, highlight the cell, and start typing, just like in Excel (or whatever equivalent you happen to use)
Free Game List

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 02:43:18 pm »

Thoughts on Genre organization:

Type | Genre | Sub-Types

Type will be sort of an overarching theme to the game. Predefined, pick ONE that best fits: Strategy, RPG, Action, MMO, Adventure

Genre will be a more refined and specific genre to help clarify how the game will play. The 'types' can also be used, if they take a secondary role. (Type: MMO | Genre: RPG) Examples: Roguelike, 4x, RTS, TBS, Platformer, Simulation.

Sub-Types will be used to help give a good idea of what kind of flavor the game has, or what kind of environment it's in (i.e. 'zombie', 'space', 'mecha', 'freemium', 'satire').

Thoughts? Suggestions? Hatred for the very concept?

Right, sounds good to me
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 02:44:51 pm »

Switch Type and Genre. Sorry >.>
Free Game List

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »

This would really help slow the daily encounters with people asking for free games. I suggest adding a column for genre keywords (exploration, platforming, realtime, turn-based, harvesting, procedural world, random world). You just pile all the text into the appropriate cell and people can search for it rather than sorting. If you planned to make it sort-useful you'd have to have a column for each keyword and a number saying how important it is in that game.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 02:54:23 pm »

The sub-type genre is basically that catch-all. Just fill in words that describe the game there. And extra information can hold some of that too. Unsure how well docs works with searches, but it IS a google product. Sorting is kind of a pain, since it sorts for all users...
Free Game List

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 03:18:22 pm »

I'm actually very suprised at how well it's working with like 20 users making changes at the same time.  I'm impressed.  Great idea by the way.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 03:25:26 pm »

Very impressive, and agree with the stickied motion. If it is stickied, trimming all our extra posts might not be a bad idea either.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 140