Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 142

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 614096 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #1395 on: April 18, 2021, 12:16:01 pm »

Someone made a browser version of the 21 years old RTS "Tzar: The Burden of the Crown" , the campaign isn't ported (the developer has it planned in the future) it's apparently only skirmish vs player or vs AI :

https://tza.red/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:18:49 pm by Robsoie »

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 28, 2021, 06:13:46 pm »

Rusty Lake Hotel is free on Steam until 4/30.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/435120/Rusty_Lake_Hotel/

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 30, 2021, 08:52:13 am »

GOG is giving away Tonight We Riot for 48 hours.  The link is on their main page.  https://www.gog.com/

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 03, 2021, 05:16:46 pm »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 05, 2021, 03:32:29 pm »

"Free" but conditionally so is the new X3 Farnham's Legacy. If you own X3 already then it is free.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 08, 2021, 04:07:22 pm »

Free on the Epic Store , the game "Pine" , it's roughly in the same genre visually and gameplay as Breath of the Wild (it runs on the Unity engine, so make sure to DISABLE V-Sync in the graphic options, as it can slow down your game a lot).

Oh, and people afraid of the Epic Launcher really shouldn't because as i found out some time ago there exist, thanks to some genius coder, an open source alternative to the Epic Launcher : Legendary
https://github.com/derrod/legendary

Legendary allows you to play your games you legally purchased (or the ones you legally claimed in each Epic free offer) in the Epic Store without ever being forced to install the Epic Launcher (as you can also buy or claim games on the Epic Store website without needing the Epic Launcher), the drm authentification is still made by the Epic Store so there's no illegal stuff going on.

If people are interested, as installation is not as simple as some one click installer, i may post a step by step tutorial for people to make it works with an open source frontend like Rare ( https://github.com/Dummerle/Rare/ ) .

I've been enjoying the Alien Isolation that was free on Epic a week or so ago thanks to this without any problem.

I wish there was something like this for Steam, so you wouldn't be forced to install any steam launcher and worry about whatever they can do on your system to play your steam games.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 04:11:14 pm by Robsoie »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 09, 2021, 11:26:01 am »

Pine is an average to below average game. It's fine. Not great.

I wish there was something like this for Steam, so you wouldn't be forced to install any steam launcher and worry about whatever they can do on your system to play your steam games.
There is but it circumvents DRM and we really aren't allowed to talk about it here.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 09, 2021, 11:53:43 am »

This i know,  i should have wrote that i wish there was a -legal- alternative to the steam launcher, like there is for the epic launcher.
Meanwhile, gog for the win anyways ;)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 09, 2021, 11:03:02 pm »

Oh, and people afraid of the Epic Launcher really shouldn't because as i found out some time ago there exist, thanks to some genius coder, an open source alternative to the Epic Launcher : Legendary
https://github.com/derrod/legendary

Legendary allows you to play your games you legally purchased (or the ones you legally claimed in each Epic free offer) in the Epic Store without ever being forced to install the Epic Launcher (as you can also buy or claim games on the Epic Store website without needing the Epic Launcher), the drm authentification is still made by the Epic Store so there's no illegal stuff going on.

So I can picture it easily having the storefront and social elements (like chat, achievements, etc.) stripped out, but what else does it eliminate that people are concerned about?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 03:19:12 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 10, 2021, 07:57:35 am »

So I can picture it easily having the storefront and social elements (like chat, achievements, etc.) stripped out, but what else does it eliminate that people are concerned about?
The epic launcher was found to scan users steam stuff to get info on them. Epic claimed it was an error and that they have stopped doing that.

More generally it's connected to tencent which is a Chinese conglomerate meaning any privacy concerns are that much worse. 

Also, separately from any of that, it's poorly programmed and a resource hog.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 10, 2021, 12:56:38 pm »

I think what got people very suspicious about the Epic Launcher was summarized in this post
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/

While some part of those claims have been disproved by some people around the net with time, there will always be the old saying "no smoke without fire" (probably still fueled by the fact that while Sweeney owns 50%, there's that chinese big company named Tencent that owns 40%)

But for some reason all the similar claims of Valve's Steam acting like spyware, scan harddrive , data harvesting and links to some US government services that popped up with the years have been mostly ignored because apparently "Good Guy Valve" (though being in a near monopoly status), while the claims about Epic are still regularly reminded (Newel owns 50% of Valve, no idea if there are some big company owning part of the other 50%).

As a conclusion i would say that Epic and Steam are basically the same when it comes to trust, either you trust them despite the not disproved claims or you don't despite disproved claims. Your choice.
But at least in the case of Epic, you have a legal open source (so everyone can check the code) alternative instead of having to install their launcher.

Anyways, Gog just is the best in my opinion, too bad most companies does not get into Gog enough or do not support their product on Gog as much as in other platform :/

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:59:46 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 10, 2021, 01:22:04 pm »

Anyways, Gog just is the best in my opinion, too bad most companies does not get into Gog enough or do not support their product on Gog as much as in other platform :/

Well, their transphobia isn't great, but you can choose not to use their launcher. I have to turn Steam off so it quits waking my computer up to run scans of my data.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 10, 2021, 01:55:24 pm »

I think the witcher 1 is free on GOG? IDK they just gave it to me in exchange of the right to spam my email.
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 10, 2021, 02:32:17 pm »

I can't really complain about EGS. I own nearly 20 major game titles, for free on EGS since I installed it about a year ago.
Can't say Steam has donated me that many major games for free in, what, 10+ years?

If EGS had pre-paid wallet cards like Steam has, I would gladly buy a game or two on their platform just as a thank you for many hours of free gaming fun.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 10, 2021, 02:41:10 pm »

I think the witcher 1 is free on GOG? IDK they just gave it to me in exchange of the right to spam my email.

It might be only for new subscribers or something. They've been spamming my mail for ages now and I've never got that offer.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 142