Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 142

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 614009 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #1995 on: June 21, 2023, 10:44:23 am »

More interesting, as it's been a while it is free on steam, Crusaders Kings 2 is free on gog too
https://www.gog.com/game/crusader_kings_ii
(and similarly to steam version, it is permanently free , "free to play" )

That's how they get you - they know that once you've had a taste of CK2, you're going to get either CK3, or start picking up CK2 DLCs.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1996 on: June 21, 2023, 11:41:08 am »

I recently finished the first episode of Ashes. Techincally a doom full reconversion mod, I believe it qualifies as a free game, as it is a full, free stand alone shooter with its own mechanisms and storyline.
It is available here

That's how they get you - they know that once you've had a taste of CK2, you're going to get either CK3, or start picking up CK2 DLCs.
Yeah, or alternatively, they'll pack ads into a game you already bought years ago, transforming your 60 euros purchase into an advertising outlet. That switch to f2p was the moment I decided I would never again give a cent to Paradox.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 11:43:37 am by Cathar »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 21, 2023, 01:20:09 pm »

Can't say anything about Crusader Kings 2 , but i own Stellaris (and never bought any of its DLC) since a bit more than a year and never felt the game was lacking things .
Though probably the mods i'm using have enough content to keep a game of Stellaris feeling "full" in term of content.

(EDIT : forgot about spying, that feature in Stellaris was added as a barebone framework without much functionality in comparison to what spying can do in other games, that's a case of a feature held back in order to sell it as a DLC, in Stellaris case it was the "nemesis" dlc.

For Europa Universalis 4, i only played a week of it from when it was a giveaway from epic, just didn't had any fun with it, and went back to Europa Universalis 2 that i still enjoy much more, so i didn't played EU4 for long enough to see if the content was full by itself on the base game.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 04:54:44 pm by Robsoie »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: June 21, 2023, 02:24:08 pm »

Can't say anything about Crusader Kings 2 , but i own Stellaris (and never bought any of its DLC) since a bit more than a year and never felt the game was lacking things .

In my opinion Stellaris is noticeably better then then other paradox games in making the base game playable without DLCs.  When Crusader kings 2 came out it was good and playable, but since then they've added a lot of half assed mechanics and stuff that sorta make the game look and feel worse because they are signposts for dlc. And other games that came out later, like say EU4, came out shit because they were just half made frameworks to add dlcs later.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: June 22, 2023, 01:14:28 pm »

This week on epic store, the freebie is The Hunter : Call of the Wild again.
Even if you don't like hunting, it's still very recommended as it can be a very nice "walking simulator" too considering how the 2 superb maps that are with the base game are both very detailled and gigantic with so many vista.
The hunting part is also very good, lots of stealth based, hide&seek gameplay. And lots of XP grinding to unlock new skills and weapons
Even without any of the numerous DLC the game is very good by itself

next week it should be "The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos"

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: June 26, 2023, 01:04:51 pm »

Ancient Enemy is free on GOG
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: June 26, 2023, 01:57:59 pm »

If you like good old Solitaire (klondike, spider, freecell etc...), Ancient Enemy isn't a bad variant of it.
It was free a year or so ago on the epic store.

But note that it's not a "card battler" or CCG at all, it's really a solitaire variant.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: June 29, 2023, 11:57:37 am »

This week on the epic store the freebie is "The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos"

It's a tactical game with xcom-like battles in a fantasy medieval comical setting with characters that constantly joke and parody their roles.
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk was originally in the early 2000 a humorous french audio drama shared free in mp3 that got successful enough to get some tabletop rpg, comics and novels adaptation.
No idea if there was an adaptation in non-french languages (there is very likely some subtitled version around things like youtube).

But fortunately the game itself is available in multiple audio language

next week the epic store freebie should be "Grime"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 12:04:36 pm by Robsoie »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: June 30, 2023, 09:45:31 am »

Beholder 2 is free on GOG

(Sometimes I wonder if this type of posts should be in the "sales" thread instead)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: June 30, 2023, 02:13:00 pm »

It's ended up in either or both in the past. Doesn't hurt to crosspost, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: July 06, 2023, 12:29:06 pm »

the freebie this week on the epic store is "GRIME"
A platformer/fighter metroidvania with rather original visuals. Apparently there are soul-like elements too from what i see in reviews.

next week it should be "Train Valley 2"

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: July 10, 2023, 04:39:48 pm »

on gog you can claim for free "Betrayer"
https://www.gog.com/en/game/betrayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP1WWMlcMRc

Never heard about this one, seems to be a fps in a horror theme setup in the 17th century.
It has some good review

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: July 10, 2023, 04:55:30 pm »

I think I've seen that before, but at the same time never heard of it. Or I've never seen it before but have seen gameplay of it? Somewhere in the middle of that.

In other news, something compelled me to check out Flashpoint, an emulator/downloader/massive library of Flash titles, again. As it turns out, Flashpoint version 12 dropped today.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: July 14, 2023, 08:38:10 am »

On gog you can claim "The Whisperer"
https://www.gog.com/game/the_whisperer

It's a very short classic point&click game, it's a prologue to another game of the devs "The Whispering Valley"

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: July 14, 2023, 08:42:33 am »

I think I've seen that before, but at the same time never heard of it. Or I've never seen it before but have seen gameplay of it? Somewhere in the middle of that.

I thought I posted this, but it made big waves of Youtube at the time of release because of the admittedly sick art design and also hitting a wave of similar survival-y games. I remember it looking like absolute shit on youtube, though, probably down to compression.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 142