Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 142

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 614023 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #2010 on: July 17, 2023, 11:51:10 am »

Maybe some of you remember the old game "Outpost"
Game that had some really good potential
Spoiler: but.. (click to show/hide)

Recently learned that there is an open source project "OutpostHD" to not only reimplement the game mechanics from Outpost but make it the game it could have been :
https://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5718.0.html
https://github.com/OutpostUniverse/OPHD/releases
https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outposthd:how_to_play

I want OutpostHD to be freely available to everybody, so it's open source. The code is available on GitHub under the BSD-3-Clause license.

I also want OutpostHD to have its own new art and audio assets so as not to infringe on the original copyrights and to be able to take advantage of modern graphics hardware and 32bit Color Depths.

Finally, I want OutpostHD to be what Outpost should have been. Outpost was a great idea. Its implementation, however, was terrible. OutpostHD is an attempt at making the game that Outpost could have been.

Changes to the Design
OutpostHD isn't a clone of OUTPOST but instead a re-implementation of the core mechanics and ideas in a more refined and finished product. See OutpostHD's Wiki article for details.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 11:58:31 am by Robsoie »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2011 on: July 17, 2023, 12:32:17 pm »

Outpost 2 was more my thing.
Always great seeing more good open source implementations though!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 27, 2023, 10:20:34 am »

on the epic store this week the freebies are
"Homeworld Remastered Collection"
"Severed Steel"

next week they should give away "Bloons TD6" and "Loop Hero"

jimmyjohny

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 10, 2023, 03:42:48 am »

List of free games you might enjoy:

Dwarf Fortress: A complex and immersive simulation game where you manage a colony of dwarves as they mine, build, and survive in a procedurally generated world.

Caves of Qud: A roguelike RPG set in a post-apocalyptic world with deep lore, unique abilities, and a rich, open-world environment.

Brogue: A traditional roguelike game that challenges you to navigate through a dungeon filled with monsters and traps.

Battle for Wesnoth: A turn-based strategy game with fantasy themes, featuring various factions, units, and campaigns.

Path of Exile: An action RPG with an expansive skill system, deep customization, and a dark fantasy setting.

Warframe: A cooperative third-person shooter where players control members of the Tenno, ancient warriors who have awoken from centuries of cryosleep to find themselves at war.

Hearthstone: A digital collectible card game set in the Warcraft universe, offering strategic gameplay and engaging matches.

League of Legends: A popular multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game where two teams of champions battle to destroy each other's Nexus.

Team Fortress 2: A team-based first-person shooter with a quirky and humorous art style, featuring various classes and game modes.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: A free-to-play MMORPG set in the Star Wars universe, offering engaging storylines and extensive character customization.

DOTA 2: Another popular MOBA game, similar to League of Legends, featuring a vast roster of heroes and intense strategic gameplay.

Realm of the Mad God: A cooperative MMO shooter that blends bullet hell gameplay with RPG elements in a pixel art world.

Trove: A voxel-based sandbox adventure game where you can explore, create, and customize your own unique world.

Neverwinter: An MMORPG set in the Dungeons & Dragons universe, offering epic quests, strategic combat, and rich storytelling.

Planetside 2: A large-scale multiplayer first-person shooter where players engage in massive battles on a futuristic alien planet.

Let me know if you know more free games please do share with me.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 10, 2023, 04:42:51 am »

Jimmy....Prove to me you aren't a bot.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 10, 2023, 11:31:55 am »

Caves of Qud
Pretty sure that's not available for free anywhere.

Jimmy....Prove to me you aren't a bot.
It almost feels more like something ChatGPT would spit out. There's no links to weird sites, 'unconventional' games in the list,  or a "follow me on YouTube for more recommendations!" - what I'd expect from a spam bot.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: August 10, 2023, 12:43:35 pm »

Epic store freebies this week are "Europa Universalis 4" and "Orwell: Keeping an Eye on You"
EU4 was given away last year already, there are couple of free dlc if i remember well.
Orwell is an adventure (and mostly a visual novel type of game) in which you're Big Brother from the 1984 novel and monitor people, their datas, websites etc...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 12:45:41 pm by Robsoie »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 10, 2023, 01:08:38 pm »

Caves of Qud
The original version of CoQ used to be free from a thread on another forum somewhere... but that over a decade ago.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 11, 2023, 04:15:44 pm »

Caves of Qud
The original version of CoQ used to be free from a thread on another forum somewhere... but that over a decade ago.

Available with a dev statement in November 2017... though it seems to have disappeared by August 2018.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

TheLastVegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 14, 2023, 12:39:12 pm »

Outpost 2 had really great music and gameplay. Leviathan would always beat everyone on IRC.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2020 on: August 20, 2023, 05:11:00 pm »

Crossout
Group: Freemium
Genre: Vehicular Combat
Types: Building, PVP, COOP, SOLO
Sub-Type: Post-Apocalyptic

Crossout is Twisted Metal meets Minecraft. Terribly inaccurate but an undeniably serviceable description. It's actually team based, rather than free-for-all outside of a few special modes. 8 vs 8, with half of each team being bots unless server population is high such as on the weekends. You build your car not from cubes like Robocraft, though it does use a grid system, it instead has detailed parts with allowed connections on certain faces.

It's a ton of fun, especially with voice or in a clan (shoutout SUIT!). Been playing off and on for over 5 years and keep coming back to it. Always an interesting new weapon, module, or cabin being added to the game every few months, a few at a time.
Awesome With Autism

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 24, 2023, 10:18:03 am »

A good freebie this week on the epic store: Homeworld Desert of Kharak

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 28, 2023, 09:42:05 am »

On gog you have a couple of days to can claim as freebie "Hero of the Kingdom 2"

after checking a "gameplay" video, it's all about clicking on npc that ask for items, click on said items somewhere on the screen, click on npc for more dialogue, unfog more part of the screen, click on other npc to get another "find item" , then click on said more items to complete quest, repeat click after click until the end if you have not already ditched the game to go play something more interesting.
Basically it's a point&click but from a higher point of view than usual.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 09:44:08 am by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 28, 2023, 03:16:47 pm »

On gog you have a couple of days to can claim as freebie "Hero of the Kingdom 2"

after checking a "gameplay" video, it's all about clicking on npc that ask for items, click on said items somewhere on the screen, click on npc for more dialogue, unfog more part of the screen, click on other npc to get another "find item" , then click on said more items to complete quest, repeat click after click until the end if you have not already ditched the game to go play something more interesting.
Basically it's a point&click but from a higher point of view than usual.

I'd honestly rather just stare at an idle game instead of that genre... I remember getting one of those in a mystery key bundle a few years back and spent about an hour going, "So... when does this tutorial stuff actually end and game actually start?"... before I realized that was the game. Hard pass on this, as far as I'm concerned.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: August 28, 2023, 05:50:43 pm »

If I wanted that much hand-holding in a game, I'd play a dating sim.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 142