Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners, Picks, and The Draft  (Read 1263 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Miners, Picks, and The Draft
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:07:14 pm »

I have no military, no mechanic, and wildlife that alternates between elephants and unicorns. I also happen to be at war with every race.
I also have a pair of underworked miners and no idea what to do with them.

I read on the wiki that a miner assigned to the military, with no weapon assigned, will carry his pick to battle/training.
Is this true? If not, what else can I do to busy my miners and protect my hole-in-the-ground? Ideally in a way that can provide me with elephant and unicorn parts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
Re: Miners, Picks, and The Draft
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:13:12 pm »

You have to get a mechanic. Just get one and turn out mechanism upon mechanism. No need to fight, all those pesky beasts would be in cages and Urist would have a perky unicorn helmet!

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:14:40 pm »

They do carry their picks into battle, and if you need a mechanic just change make a dwarf a mechanic for a season or two while you set things up.

If you want to get some of the animals, you could set up a "funnel" type trap with walls that lead into cage traps(Or you could butcher them on the spot if that is what you prefer). Draft your miners into two separate squads and use them to herd the beasts into the funnel. It's safer, has a higher chance of success(Unless your miners move fast), and more profit if you pull it off.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:05:00 pm »

Actually, miner military can be extremely effective.  They'll rank up their mining skill instead of any weapon skill, and can quickly get to be legendary miners.  This has an awesome effect, that if you somehow embarked on a layer of solid gold and wanted to not waste any, you could train your miner by fighting stuff, THEN send him to mine, so that no cool stone is wasted.  It also has the effect that you can armor your miners easily, to protect them against any nasty beasties they might encounter, and give them a bit more protection when a cave in throws them across the map.

I try to make my woodcutter in a squad as well, so I can give him armor, so that when he discovers ambushes on his own he's less likely to get shot down.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:43 pm »

They do carry their picks into battle, and if you need a mechanic just change make a dwarf a mechanic for a season or two while you set things up.

If you want to get some of the animals, you could set up a "funnel" type trap with walls that lead into cage traps(Or you could butcher them on the spot if that is what you prefer). Draft your miners into two separate squads and use them to herd the beasts into the funnel. It's safer, has a higher chance of success(Unless your miners move fast), and more profit if you pull it off.

Alright.
"Urist McFarmer, whenever plants need harvesting, that is your FIRST priority. Understand?"
":silence:"

The miners should be useful for the military, anyway.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.