Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Savagery  (Read 1720 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Savagery
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:26:17 am »

I've searched around for this but I can't seem to find a precise answer anywhere.

What exactly does high savagery do? Does it increase the skill/nastiness of hostile creatures or does it just cause a larger number of hostile creatures to spawn? Does it impact ambushes and goblin invasions?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Savagery
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:48 am »

Generally, high-savagery biomes can spawn 2 groups of wild animals at once, compared to 1 elsewhere. In addition, creatures with the SAVAGE token spawn there. Those creatures are typically more dangerous than those without it, as they are typically bigger (giant lion vs. lion, for instance). Also, I'm pretty sure that BENIGN creatures don't spawn in savage biomes, and those creatures tend to be less dangerous than those without due to small size and such.

It has no effect on ambushes or invasions, just animals. The animals spawned will be more aggressive, but they're still unlikely to actually come kill you as they're still not very aggressive.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:43:45 am »

Creatures with the [SAVAGE] tag only spawn in savage biomes.  Creatures with the [BENIGN] tag also spawn in savage biomes, but are the only creatures that can spawn in benign (low-savagery) biomes.  I have notice no indication that savage biomes permit more groups of creatures at once - the savage-biome fortresses I've built still only have one group of wild animals on the surface at a time.

I don't think it has any effect on ambushes and sieges.  It just increases the number of different types of creatures that can appear.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:05:38 pm »

What exactly does high savagery do?
High Savagery will:

1. Allow Whip Vines to be gathered. (These grow only in savage environments.)
2. Alter the available types of animals, including some animals that cannot spawn in less savage areas. These do NOT replace the benign animals common to less savage areas.
3. Allow the spawning of surface groups of various "animal men" that don't spawn in less savage areas.

For an example, consider this article on Tropical Dry Broadleaf Forest animals. Note that savage forests add Giant Tigers and Tigermen to the current listing of Tigers, Elephants and Cougars. You'll see both the normal Tigers and the Giant variety eventually.

For more information, consult the Biome article at Magmawiki.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:19:58 pm »

And that is why Tropical Dry Broadleaf Forests are my favourite embark site. :)

Pretty dangerous, with interesting and dangerous wildlife to hunt and slaughter or train and send back at my foes. <3

Plus it doesn't have apes and monkeys. I see enough of those on the street every day. :P