Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: bookkeper not.........bookkeping  (Read 5857 times)

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
bookkeper not.........bookkeping
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:55:04 pm »

i have a bookkeeper but for some reason I can't see my stocks like I should, he has a chair but he's not making me see my stocks.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bookkeper not.........bookkeping
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:58:55 pm »

Did you change his settings at the nobles menu,
to something higher than "No accuracy" (or how the lowest seting is called)?

If you donīt change this setting to so mething higher, he wonīt do any work

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:11:59 pm »

i dont get what you mean, if you're asking about his skill level he came as a clerk so it should be high enuf

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 06:16:12 pm »

He talk of the setting in the noble screen.
You can change the precision, if it at no accuracy, he didn't work.
Also, do you assign the office to him?

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:16:54 pm »

Go into the nobles screen, highlight the book keeper position, and press s.
It will give you options for how accurate your beancounter will be. Pretty much useless to set it to anything but the highest precision.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:07:42 pm »

wow thanks, i did'nt that was there, i guess i need to do it with the broker too, not having stocks can kinda be anoying

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:14:00 pm »

No, you don't have to do it with the broker. The bookkeeper is the only one with the "s" - settings menu. Just set it to the highest precision and in about a week of game-time all your stocks will be accurate. He'll periodically go back and sit at his table to update them, but once he's done the first stock count he can run off and do other things a lot of the time.
It's a game. Have fun.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:25:01 pm »

Why would there even BE a "No Accuracy" setting?  If you have gone through the trouble of designating a Bookkeeper, then you probably want him to do something.  The only "No Accuracy" bookkeeping setting that makes sense is to not have a bookkeeper.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:03:06 pm »

ya, it's kinda stupid, but you know what they say, nobles are stupid I WANT MY GREEN GLASS WINDOW

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 11:23:11 pm »

Why would there even BE a "No Accuracy" setting?

There isn't one.  There is either some tidbit of information we don't know about the situation, or the bookkeeper hasn't actually been assigned the office yet.

Or, I suppose, the bookkeeper has been assigned it but has been too busy with other jobs to commence work.  I don't recall if you get the stocks screen immediately upon assignment, or if you have to give the bookkeeper some spare time first.

--Rexfelum

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 04:41:25 am »

Higher precision means that clerk has spend time updating records. For lowskilled one, it can be 24/7 job. If he is one of your first 7, it makes sense to have lowest/seccond lowest precision set so that he can do some other usefull stuff in meantime. Of course, once you get to more dwarves, this kind of work optimalization ceases to be issue.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:48:18 am »

Higher precision means that clerk has spend time updating records. For lowskilled one, it can be 24/7 job.
They always seem to finish counting after 9 months or so, even if the skill cannot be trained.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:53:02 am »

Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 11:20:28 am »

Higher precision means that clerk has spend time updating records. For lowskilled one, it can be 24/7 job.
They always seem to finish counting after 9 months or so, even if the skill cannot be trained.

That;s odd, my bookkeeper is always done with bookkeeping about ~10 seconds after I assigned him to his job (although I usually assign one if I have around 50 dwarves so maybe I just didn't have a lot of stuff)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 08:04:01 pm »

Yeah, it does depend on how much random crap you've already got in your fort. I tend to assign a bookkeeper out of the first wave of immigrants and it only takes a few days of game-time for him to get the stocks at highest precision. After that he'll periodically update depending at what rate I'm producing stuff.

I find it doesn't hurt to have the same dwarf as your manager as well. It saves a little space because he can use the same table/chair for both jobs.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: [1] 2