Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]

Author Topic: Dwarf Companion - new version linked @first post  (Read 96301 times)

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Companion - saves needed for DF2010, see last messages
« Reply #795 on: May 04, 2010, 11:38:52 pm »

As am I!   :)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 08, 2010, 02:29:20 am »

Cool! I'll check it asap. I have to report success on many points, so it should not be too long before a first version is available.

Any way I can help? Your utility has been very helpful in the past, and I'm looking forward to the new version. Particularly the ability to check all of a creature's hidden traits.

DF's interface for viewing animals does not allow proper breeding or even comparisons. No one can tell what "Gigantic overall" and "Gigantic with incredible muscles" mean, especially when the "Gigantic overall" creature is faster and stronger than the "Gigantic with incredible muscles" one. I don't think even the most hardcore anti-exploit crusader could argue that an inability to make meaningful comparisons between livestock is a "feature." Even an idiot can look at a real cow and see which one is larger, fatter, more robust, etc. This abstracted system renders the new genetics/breeding arc irrelevant and pointless.

Please be sure you include the ability to view base stats and attributes!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 08, 2010, 02:47:42 pm »

Any way I can help? Your utility has been very helpful in the past, and I'm looking forward to the new version. Particularly the ability to check all of a creature's hidden traits.

Actually there is. I enjoy adding stuff to DFHack a lot, but I absolutely hate creating user interfaces. Right now DC only contains interface code, so if somebody liked writing this it would be cool he did ...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 08, 2010, 10:13:45 pm »

Unfortunately I don't have any experience.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Companion - new version linked @first post
« Reply #800 on: May 12, 2010, 10:51:07 am »

What are the downsides to this? Does it stop other people from downloading your save games? Does it change anything?

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Companion - new version linked @first post
« Reply #801 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:53 am »

What are the downsides to this? Does it stop other people from downloading your save games? Does it change anything?

Right now the tool only reads stuff. Worst that can happen is that it freezes DF. It could corrupt your saves, but AFAIK it only occured to people that tweaked a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]